1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAVS500 & PL1..B&W Picture?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Midge, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Midge

Midge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just purchased a DAVS500 from Richer Sounds, and attempting to connect to Panny TH28PL1. I have a s-video to scart cable going into AV2, but the picture is only coming through as black & white......Help......Please!!

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the DAVS500 multiregion?

Are you playing a R1 disc?

If so check the menu, may be something there where you can select Pal/NTSC or Auto select.

3. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You may have to go into the TV menus and tell the TV to accept an SVIDEO signal on that scart socket. If I do not do this on my JVC then pictures are in black and white.

4. Midge

Midge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It is multi region, and both R1 and R2 were in B&W. However, found out what the problem is. When switching to AV2 via the TV remote, it is B&W, if I press again, it then turned to colour, so it was just down to user error!

However, now been watching some DVD's, and on certain shots (think it's dark backgrounds), seem to have 'wavey' lines going from bottom right to top left.

Any ideas??

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was the S-Video > Scart supplied with this system?

If so it could be the lead, not/poorly sheilded.

You could try a better quality lead.

6. Midge

Midge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No cable supplied, so I bought, and am using a MonsterVideo3 Ultra Hi Res cable.

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be too bloody good. :D

Only other things I can think of:

On some sets you can select the output on AV2, check AV1 has not been selected.

Disconnect other equipment from TV, just run the DVD player connected to AV2.

If AV1 will except S-Video try connecting DVD to AV1, leave other equipment disconnected.

Check cable runs, leads near mains etc.

Is the system near a Digital Cordless Phone? (Mine caused havoc with my sky)

Try a S-Video > S-Video lead as a last resort, TV should have one located at the front of the set.

If nothing there cures it I'm stumped. ;)

8. Midge

Midge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks very much for the advice. AV1 is RGB, and can't get s-video. I'll try fiddling around, but doesn't seem to be too bad on everything. Matrix was bad, but LOTR is was noticable in places but that's it. Thought about using the s-video connection on the front of the tv, but as you say, a last resort as 'she who should be obeyed' hates all the wires as it is (even though most are hidden), let alone have one stuck out from the front of the tv!!