1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAVS-888 & Sony Wega TV

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by fishslice, Oct 15, 2003.

1. fishslice

fishslice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the above units. Connected the "Component out (RGB)" from the DAVS unit to the "COMPONENT (RGB) SCART" socket, but the TV never shows a component input so I have to use the SVideo link atm :-(

Any ideas why its not working ?

Cheers
    Si

2. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fishslice,

It possable that the Sony 888 outputs Component YUV or S-Video but no Scart (I know that Sony 555 has this set up). Sony TVs do not except Component YUV only RGB on Scart.

YUV and RGB are both component feeds but are not the same. Your best conection between your two units will be S-Video.

If there is a Scart on the 888 then make sure that you have both the TV and 888 set up for RGB.

Hope that helps.

Miles...........

3. fishslice

fishslice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, thanks for the pointers.
    Theres no scart on the davs unit. The cable I got is an RGB phono to RGB Scart cable. Its directional from phono RGB to scart, ie, DVD to TV.

The specs for the TV and the DAVs unit just mention COMPONENT video, not different types of it, typical....

Si,

4. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's the same as the DAVS 550. I use s-video to s-video and (in my non-anorak opinion), the picture's great. make sure you get a decent-ish lead though, as the first one I got was rubbish.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fishslice,

The above is right, the best possible connection you have there is s-video.

I have the DAVS550 and FQ70. You have component out from your dvd player but unfortunately the tv cannot accept component.

For mine I use an S-Video to Scart connection, so the cables are not plugged into the front of the TV. The picture seems fine to me.

I bought lead for about £40, it was a Monster Cable, gold plated/oxygen free etc.

To get RGB, you need a different DVD player with a scart connection, or to get component you need a different TV!! ;)

Regards

PaulJ

6. fishslice

fishslice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, much help.

I've purchased the following SVideo to SCART cable.
    Should arrive today so I can see what its like over the w/e.

http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/sqart/av12.html

As Paul said, cost about 40quid but as its the picture we're talking about I don't really want to skimp on quality. Should
    be a damn site better than the composite that I'm having to use atm. :)

Many thanks to all.

Cheers
    Si

7. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks good to me fishslice, looks just like mine! :smashin:

8. fishslice

fishslice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, so I eventually got round to trying the new cable (its been a while and I've been busy)...

The picture from the DVD out of trh DAVS unit only outputs black and white pictures !!!

I've tried both SCART sockets on the back of the TV (only socket 1 is supposed to be RGB SCART) and just black and white ?!?

Any ideas ?

Going to phone the supplier tomorrow to ask as well but thought I'd ask here 1st incase its something simple.

Cheers
    Si

9. fishslice

fishslice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (I meant S-Video Scart is socket 1)

Si.

10. fishslice

fishslice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bloody typical, just after posting and fiddling around with the cables it all works :)

LOL

Si.