1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAVS-888 cabling problems

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Toole, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Toole

Toole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Sony DAVS-888 all-in-one (because they've dropped in price so much) and I'm trying to patch into my current living-room set-up with varying degrees of success.

At the minute there's a VCR, Sky+ box, PS2, X-Box and Gamecube attached to a Sony 32" Widescreen TV that's about 4 years old and although it has 2 SCART inputs, I've only ever used the main input because it's the only one that supports RGB and I use RGB mode for all my kit.

So up to now I had the Sky+ going into the VCR, which in turn was plugged into a SCART switcher (the 3 consoles are all plugged into individual inputs on the SCART switcher, too) and I just switch manually between each one and get nice crisp RGB video on my TV.

But now it's all gone to pieces because the DAVS-888 doesn't have RGB SCART at all.

I've tried running the DVD playback from the DAVS-888 through what I thought would be a good quality S-video to SCART cable (a 1m Monster Cable lead) but the picture is really fuzzy compared to what I'm used to with DVD on the X-Box using the RGB cable.

So (to cut a ridiculously long story short), can anybody suggest to me a way of getting a better picture out of my DAVS-888 on my current TV - because at the minute I'm still sending the consoles and Sky+ through the SCART-switcher and all the DAVS does is receive sound from the Sky+ via an optical cable. It's actually better for me to play DVDs on the X-Box and just switch the optical cable over rather than run them from the dedicated player on the DAVS.

I have a feeling that the only way this is going to turn out the way I want it is to ditch the DAVS-888 already or buy a TV with a component input.

Anyway, any advice what-so-ever would be much appreciated :suicide:

2. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much did you pay for the DAVS 888 as I would recommend buying a Panasonic SC-HT900 better value, better spec, more flexible (Component Progressive scan, RGB Scart and Svideo output) I bought a multi region ex demo model from Techtronic for Just £390 but even at Techtronics full price a muti region would only cost £430. Of course I realise that you would prefer not to change your new system but if you can get your retailer to, try and get them to change from one to the other... Good luck it is a fantastic piece of kit for the money

3. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been awake many, many hours; but if I'm reading that correctly you're actually viewing a composite picture! :(

Assuming your SCARTS are setup in a fashion akin to my Toshiba set, then you'll have one SCART for RGB/composite and a second for s-video/composite* (*the selection switching of which may be in an on-screen menu, as is the case with my TV).

I use a switch box on each SCART socket, one for each of RGB and s-video/composite - which makes things rather simpler.

I'm really hoping that my words prove useful; but advanced apologies if I'm wide of the mark. No sleep and lots of meds can do that to a guy... :laugh:

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Putting it bluntly the system isn't capable of giving out a picture as good as the xbox on your television. You could buy a component to RGB scart converter to sort your problems but you'll be paying up near £100 for this solution and the conversion process does lose a little definition so you won't get as good a picture as native RGB out. To be perfectly frank you can buy £30 dvd players with better pictures than the DAVS-888 because like the DAVS-550 it has a slightly grainy s-video image and even £30 dvd players have a RGB scart socket. The component image is excellent, doubly so with progressive ntsc.

In your situation my first course of action would be to try to get a refund.

5. Toole

Toole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I haven't replied to anybody's posts - I haven't checked the forums for days :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the advice folks. That's the last time I jump into a purchase without a little bit of proper research into the matter (famous last words) :D

At the minute I'm currently looking at possibly upgrading my TV set to something around the 36" mark, so I'm thinking that as long as I get one with component input I'll stick with the DAVS system... What would be the most sensible solution? Go for a conventional 36" widescreen TV with component or just go mad and get a plasma screen? In all honesty, apart from the thickness and size, do plasma's have any benefits in picture quality over conventional tubes?

As for the old Sony 32" - well I'm having the garage converted into another room, so I'm thinking of retiring it to there. Which means I may as well hook it up to one of those Panasonic systems blackbull mentioned, so I can still get some use out of the old RGB socket.

Anyway, cheers again peeps... :)

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Toole i think you need to look at the overall system a bit more carefully mate you have alot of stuff in 1 scart and why VCR connected to Sky+????
    I would offer the following Advice
    TV AV2>VCR>AV2 (VCR input)Sky+>RGB switch.
    Consoles on to RGB Switch then in to AV1

Panny 36PD30 worth a look for a new CRT and Good deals on the PW6 plasma too