1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAVs 550

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by DDDavo, Sep 4, 2003.

1. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm lookign at buying the SONY DAVs550.

I have read reviews and one person said that picture quality on their TV was poor thorugh the RAC phono connection. Is this true?

Secondly, somebody said bass was extremely poor, eventhough it is 100 watts output, especially when playing music CDs?

Can you advise me please?

2. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it uses composite video connections (usually indicated by a yellow phono connector) this is the worst level of video available on any AV gear.

I understand there are no SCART connections on the DAVS550 unit but there might be an S-Video socket?
    If so, and your TV can accept S-Video (some SCART sockets are S-Video compatible - check your TV instruction manual) you can get an S-Video to SCART cable and this will give you a much better image.

I've read the Sub isn't great but to make the most of it you should place it in a corner facing out into the room so the bass is reinforced by the walls behind it.

hth,
    Owen

3. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Thanks.

I forgot to mention:

My TV has ONE scart socket to which my VCR is hooked up to. The DAVs 550 can be used as a switch box. you plug in your VCR to your DAVs 550 through its video input via composite connection. The Davs 550 does have s-video ouput aswell as composite (and that componet thing) but i read that someone did this but connected their DVD player to the TV through SVHS output (using an svhs to scart cable.) They could watch DVDs ok but couldn't see a picture from the Video. So has anyone found that you have to use composite output when you input your VCR through composite inputs in the DAVs 550

4. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The most likely reason for no image is because the DAV doesn't convert composite video to s-video. This is an expensive feature usually only found in expensive AV amps. The image quality would not be improved from the VCR anyway.

You'd need to make sure to plug the yellow phono composite video lead between the DAV system and TV (for videos) as well as the S-VHS connection (for DVD's) so that the VCR signal is passed through the DAV sytem to the TV.
    You would also have to switch between "normal" video and S-Video on the AV imput (unless the TV auto detects the change in Video source) which could be a bit annoying.

Owen

5. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot.

However, you say connect the DAVs 550 to the TV with both S-Vhs and Compostie leads. Cant i just connect the DAVs 550 to my TV via composite for playback of video and DVD. Isn't the SVHS socket just for better DVD playback quality or is it the only output i can use to watch dvd's apart the compent output. (which i wont use anyway.)

Thanks

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I don't think you can connect composite and s-video simultanously to the same scart socket (not 100% sure though) as they both use the same pin. S-video uses the composite pin for luminance plus one of the RGB pins for chroma.

7. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. Thanks

8. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes you "could" use just composite but you'll lose a lot of picture quality from the DVD. This will be more noticeable the bigger the your screen is.

You can get a SCART adapter which has an s-video socket, composite video phono socket and left right audio sockets from Maplin or most video accessory stockists.
    They look something like this:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/35931i0.jpg

I don't know if simultaneous connections will work an all TV's either. Best to flick throught your TV User Guide and see if there's any mention of this.

Owen

9. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chears. I should be OK now!