1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAVS-550 Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jtwn, Jan 5, 2004.

1. jtwn

jtwn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am thinking of getting a subwoofer or a whole new system as i feel my davs550 lacks the oomph i'd like.

Running dvds especially, dts encoded discs the thing is damn loud and the bass is really pumped out, shaking the room stuff. But in Pro-Logic II its a different story. The other 5 speakers are sort of ok, though the clarity goes down when it gets louder and their volume goes up out of proportion with the subs' output; quite annoying that. The bass is quite lacking in comparison with the dvds, now would it be the reciever's fault?

I am thinking i could buy another sub (im willing to spend £150 / USD$270 on a sub) or should i get another reciever? Or for up to £200 / USD$361 i would be willing to buy a whole new reciever/speaker package.

Any ideas on what i should do, what subs / packages i could buy for my budget?

More bass and better clarity at high volume (more bass is more of a priority first though)

Thanks

edit: ok i have been advised to get either a powered sub or/and a reciever with bass management. I really dont have a clue where to start :) Does anybody know what subs / recievers / speaker packages might suit me? The Sony Save345 maybe? http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetails/index.asp?modelcode=SON-SAVE345&clear=