1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Davs 550 + Bass = ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by DDDavo, Sep 14, 2003.

1. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

OK. I have read so much about the Davs 550 now, and everybody on AVforums has been most helpful.

However, there is so much talk about the bass output from the Davs 550. Good, poor, average...

My room is roughly 3m by 3m (small i know) and i wish to use the DVD player for watching movies (occasionly, say every week or two) but also as a surround system for my CD's.

It has dolby prologic 2, so would there be decent bass from them as stereo is converted to a simulate 5 speaker and subwoofer output?

Basically, how does bass fair with external sound inputs, playing music CD's and watching DVD's.

THANKS alot in advance!

2. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DDDavo,

I have the DAVS550 and have been very happy, the bass seems fine to me, with CD's and DVD's.

The bass can be adjusted and I find I have mine on +2 for DVD's and +3 for Cd's and watching tv through. This is on a scale of -5 to +5.

Although on some DVD's that produce a lot of bass, I find I have to turn this down a bit.

My living room is probably just a bit bigger than yours, probably 5m x 4m.

Hope this of some assistance to you.

Regards

Paul :smashin:

3. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh Thanks a lot

Great help

I am going to get one sson (hopefully) as there at the end of their product line, sony are stopping making them end of october. And now they are so cheap to what they used to be!

Thanks again
    DD Davo

4. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anytime mate,

They are a good price now. I got mine for £290 about 6 months ago. Have been very happy with it.

Regards

Paul :clap:

5. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Where/What is the best price now?

6. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, Indigo Av were selling it for £250 but they aren't anymore (unfortunatly.) I can get it for £260 though on the net.

I believe it to be a bargain!

CHEERS!

7. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If bass is important to you, can I suggest an audition with or consideration of the Pioneer equivalent?

The current model is the DCS-313, the replacement for last year's 303 (which I own).

I also view in a 3m x 3m room and had to reduce the sub settings straight away. The setting ranges from +10dB to -10dB and I have reduced this to -7 on occasion! :eek: Your experience may differ, but it ain't 'alf got some kick! :rotfl: In addition, I have the sub underneath furniture, surrounded by... er... stuff. During a recent 'move-around', I momentarily tried the sub out in the open. It soon went back! It had more B:eek::eek:M!!! than I could handle. So, in short, I imagine that there's enough in reserve for even a large room.

For what it's worth, the sats are loud too :)

Hope that helps, rather than confuses!:blush:

8. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought mine from Indigo. Very good service and multi regioned externally which is a good thing. I have not had it long but can say that the bass is acceptable. I would say it could be a little better but the sub woofer is powered purely by the speaker cable. I notice some have their own plug and power supply (Sony htsl7a for example being just a surround system). Perhaps this makes a difference but there again maybe it is good enough to run on a low supply.

I would add I have just seen the replacement today, the DAV SC5 and it does look less expensive. The speakers, although 10w more powerful are lighter and on little stands. They have added a scart now for RGB but removed component (I think). The unit also has some shiny chrome effect on the front. Certainly does not look as good as the 550 so personally I am pleased I bought this model and would recommend it as picture quality is excellent. The price now is also very good, but ther again the new model is only about £330 so they have come down in general.

Dave

9. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Thanks a lot, i am going to go ahead. Empiredirect.co.uk have just got there last stock in of 200 and so i am going to buy the DAVS 550

I have been and looked at the DCS 313 and i will say, pioneer really do give you everything you need to know. I had to send around 5 emails to sony asking more about the product becuase on their website they hardly tell you anything about it.

The price of the DVS 313 is now cheaper than the DAVs 550, techtronics are selling it for £249. I am going to go for the Sony though becuas ei just think it looks amazing, plus, people seem to be generally happy with it. I realise that the 100 watt subwoofer isn't the best especially been passive, but it seems to pass muster ok with most people!

The DCS 313 pumps out 450 watts (which is definatly enough) and the Sony DAVs 550, 500 but i am going to stick with the sony.

Thanks anyway, the 313 from pioneer does look a good match and alternative product.

SO, as long as the DAVS 550 will pump out some bass when playing music, i am having it!

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ANYONE

(If anyone would like to add anything more before i order it, i'd appreciate it. Thanks!)

10. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been thinking,

I am probably going to go ahead and buy the DAVS 550. All i am worried about is lack of bass. Aslong as it kicks out enough to for playing audio CD's and from other inputs.

If it is totally dismal (although my room being 3m squared (ish) i would think that it would be OK. If it is terrible, ill send it back and look more into the Pioneer DCS 313.

Also, should i position the subwoofer in a corner next to walls, or can i put it anywhere as long as its next to a wall (from what i have been told, this re-inforces the bass.)

Is there anywhere i should avoid placing it?

THANKS
    DAVE

11. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The 550 was right at the top of my list for a while (especially on looks). Only the low price and easy-to-accomodate sub swayed it for me. Whatever your eventual purchase, I'm sure you'll have fun :)

Re: placement sub placement, the best advice that I can give is...

experiment!

Seriously. All the theory and recommendation available may result in zero worth within your own environment. I've had equipment do quite the opposite to what could reasonably be expected, so experimentation can surely be the best advice.

Your sub might not need reinforcing! :laugh: :devil: :laugh:

12. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers andy572!

I have ordered it (Davs 550), its coming tomorrow (hopefully!)

Please keep posting messages though, becuase i may need advice when i get it.

I'll experiment with placing of the sub

Have you actually got the Davs 550?

THANKS!

13. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GOT my Davs 550

One word: FANTASTIC

Only thing i'd put against it would be power output from playing Music CD's (i like em loud) but becuase my rooms small, its just enough power!

14. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good to know you like it. I think for the money they are a good buy and nicer than the "new" model. Change for change sake I think and a bit of cost cutting at the same time.

15. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you like it DDDavo. I have had mine for just under a year now and think its the biz.

If only they didn't cost £600 then
    :rolleyes: :)

I would agree with you about the sound being a little on the low side but a few tweaks of the settings and it works well in my 12foot room.

As far as DVDs go, I watched Blade 2 this evening and couldn't have the volume greater than half way with out a big risk of my neighbours complaining :D

16. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nice to see you posting again, DDDavo :)

I guess you are indeed now having fun, eh? :laugh:

17. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would certainly reccomend it to anyone, but move quick, very few places stock them now, and if they do, they are running low. The new model is taking over!

18. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DDDavo,

Glad you like the 550, I thought you would. I have found the bass to be too much with some films recently !!

Cool :devil:

19. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yer. Through music its fine but with DVDs it is certainly shocking. For a passive subwoofer...its great and look say everything!