1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAVS 500 owners

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Fairzo, May 1, 2002.

1. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Posted below about picture quality (very patchy and unstable in light areas) on DAVS 500 and didn't get one reply. Surely there's one owner out there who can tell me they either do or don't have something similar. C'mon, you know you want to. :eek:

2. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Hi Fairzo,

I've got a 500 but haven't had the problem you mention. Since your TV is normally OK, I guess it's maybe a faulty DAV. I'm not really up to speed on DVD players generally but there might be a specific term for the problem you're experiencing. Perhaps someone else can give a better answer?

Have you just tried it with one disc or several different ones?

Also, make sure you are using S-VHS as opposed to composite (no RGB on DAVs I'm afraid)

If you bought it from a friendly retailer it might be worth exchanging it to see if the problem goes away.

RDB :)

Sorry I can't help much more. I just plugged mine in and it worked fine.

3. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of buying a DAVS 500 from Techtronics with all the modifications.

At the same time, I'm also buying a new TV (Loewe Vitrus probably) and VCR.

What is this about RGBs and S-VHS as I only intend getting a basic VCR. What do RGBs mean? Sorry to sound like Homer Simpson but I'm worried I'll buy these things and they won't be compatible.

Thanks

4. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    All the items you mention will be compatible.

RGB is a better quality connection than S-VHS, but the DAV doesn't have RGB. The picture is fine with S-VHS though.

RGB :)

PS There's a bit of Homer Simpson in all of us!

5. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.
    It is a problem on all DVD's. For instance the opening scenes in 'What Lies Beneath', in the bathroom with lots of white areas, is very speckly. I wish I could think of a better description but thats the best I can do.
    To Pete Callan, I'm not fully versed on the technical issues, only that RGB through scart is generally better than S-video (the DAVS has no scart sockets). You should be able to get a set-up without any problem though. :)

6. somebugger

somebugger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fairzo,

What TV do you have ? My 500 is currently in for "repair" as it appeared to be skipping. Now I'm being told it may be caused by a incompatibility with my Thomson TV (Bizarre !)

Anyone heard of anything like this before ?

7. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I can't see no way skipping can be caused by a TV !

what are these repair guys talking about ?

8. somebugger

somebugger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question !

It looked like skipping, brief flash on screen and fraction of a second pause in the action but they are saying they can't see it on their monitor.

They mentioned it might be that my TV has problems with the speed of the DVD signal ! Now I'm no expert but surely the frame rate is the same whatever the format ?

9. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV is Philips 36 inch wide screen 100Hz. I'm no expert either but I can't see how the TV could cause a problem like 'skipping'. Anybody else know?

10. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try it on a different tv, and if that doesnt work, it could be the dvd player. My Samsung 709 used to skip, pause briefly. they put in a new board in but it still skipped. Take it back to the retailer and ask for a new one.

11. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may be a 50hz / 60hz incompatibility but that would only cause problems on a R1 (NTSC) DVD. As there is no RGB scart, you cannot use this to get round that problem.

Apart from the sync, the tv is unlikely to be the fault.

Anyone buying a Sony DAV should make sure their tv is fully NTSC compliant before purchasing otherwise they will not be able to play NTSC titles.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh NO!

Anybody know whether the Beko 28" widescreen from Tesco is NTSL compliant?

I've just decided on a DAV and it would be a nightmare if it didn't work out.

Thanks

13. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about the Beko but it does tend to be the budget sets that are not NTSC compliant.

If you check the manual, it should tell you in there. If it says use the RGB scart to do it then you are out of luck and i would cancel the order for the DAV (personally, i would cancel the order for the DAV anyway but thats just me)

14. somebugger

somebugger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By default the DAVS is R2 only so NTSC compatibility won't be an issue unless you're getting it chipped to be multi-region.

15. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By default virtually all players are set for one region.

Even if it isn't going to be multi-region, there are titles in R2 and R0 which are ntsc.

16. somebugger

somebugger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair point Doubledoom, I bow to your superior knowledge, on which subject..

I've got my DAVS back and I'm being told that there's nothing wrong with it and that the fault must be with my TV (Thomson 28VK25U), now as the fault is only apparent on certain disks at the same point and more so with scratched disks does anyone know if the error correction kicking in could cause the TV to flash and freeze for a fraction of a second ??

This is driving me crazeeeeeeeee :confused:

17. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to start ruling things out 1 by 1.

Have you tried the DAV with another TV ? (Even if its a ****ty bedroom Composite connection only).

Have you tried another Video cord (either another SVideo or even double check with an audio Composite if thats all you have in the house).

We need more info on exactly what it is doing too - you havent explained it in much detail.

Does it go away when you pause or only a moving picture ? ect ect.
    What region disks are you using ?

There has rarely been complaints with DAV picture (as far as I've seen) - the esteemed and knowledgable DoubleDoom is always the first to jump in and criticse the DAV's audio capabilities (or lack thereof in his opinion!), but the video side of things is not usually an issue.

Is this your first DVD player - all digital video systems have 'artifacts' which are most noticable in pale areas (especially with curves which fade from one colour to another).
    Yuo MIGHT be seeing somehting normal and thinking it is terrible.

Give us some more info good fellow.

18. somebugger

somebugger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Craig, the facts so far........

problem is a brief red flash when playing certain discs, the picture also freezes for a fraction of a second, it seems to be linked to error correction kicking in as it's always in the same place and more pronounced on dirty discs.

I've not been able to try on another TV as yet but it's looking likely the TV is at fault because...

Discs work fine on other DVD/TV combis I've tried at other peoples houses.
    Repair shop has tried my DAVS with my discs on their TV with no problem.

When I get it back again, last time it came back with a damaged case !, I'll try it on a different TV.

BTW, I spoke to Thomson who said try turning the contrast on the set down, surely it can't be that simple !!

19. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad I started this off!! Altering the contrast may have an effect. I have achieved a much better picture since reducing (particularly) sharpness but also digital contrast. I'm still experimenting but beginning to think that the problem may be linked to digital 'effects' from the set rather the DAVS .

There is still some 'movement' in a few pale areas of the picture so, to Craig who posted above, what would an 'artefact' look like? I have always thought of them as appearing solid rather than patchy and flickering.

To Doubledoom, does 100Hz produce incompatibility like 50/60Hz?

Apologies if these are stupid questions.

:confused:

20. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No.