1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Davis or Ask.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stefinch, Jul 16, 2001.

1. stefinch

stefinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi HCC members,
    Is there anyone out there, using a Davis DL450 or DLS8 for DVD playback or the Ask C1,
    If so whats the performance like from these 3 machines, screen size would be 6ft wide.
    Any info please as i'm going to buy one in the next few weeks, Thanks................

2. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi I cant speak for the C1 but my money is on the Davis, I've had a DLS8 for about six months and I find it excellent for all sources. I'm curious though having had a peep at your web site are you changing from CRT because good though DLP is the black level of a CRT is still better, having said that the difference isnt enough over DLP to bother me at all. In the end a demo is the only sure way to know which projector is for you.
    Cheers MikeD

3. stefinch

stefinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike,
    I'm changing my projector because i need a portable one, i know CRT's are still the best for blacks and probably quality, but I suppose you have to compromise for portability. Have you seen a CRT running in comparison to your DLS8 ????

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a word of caution, but when I visited my local showroom recently I was informed that DAVIS have gone bust!
    Not sure if someone else will take over?

:(

5. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello,

I found this on the www.davis.no site, under press room, news releases, oslo stock exchange.pdf

KOG - REGARDING DAVIS
    Kongsberg Gruppen has decided to terminate its efforts to sell DAVIS, meaning further investments in new products and markets will be abandoned. The company will gradually be downsized and the focus will be narrowed to the sale of existing products, and service and maintenance on products already delivered.
    Predata, DAVIS's sales company in Norway, which also sells brands other than DAVIS, will stay in operation. This also applies to DAVIS' distribution companies in Sweden and Denmark, both of which are profitable companies.
    Kongsberg Gruppen will make Q2 provisions of MNOK 100-125 to cover winding up costs. This will reduce liquid assets by MNOK 30-50.

:(

Mark G.

6. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah ****...

I guess replacement bulbs are going to be tough to come by..