1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Davis DLS8 or Panny AE100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by joust, Mar 31, 2003.

1. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi All,

Have the option of the above 2 projectors - which one will be better? Will be used mainly for DVD's (will feed from a HCPC, probably with Radeon 9000 graphics), with the occasional Sky/PS2/GC use (through a dscaler). This will be projected onto either a 5/6' 4:3 or 16:9 screen.

Thanks in advance.

Joust

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    I was using an HTPC with my DLS8 for 3 years and got impressive results.

The advantage of the Davis over the Panny is black level, screendoor and reliability.

The panny is of course widescreen, but the difference is minimal.

I take it you don't suffer from the rainbow effect then?

I saw an Infocus X1, and the image looked very similar to my DLS8 and htpc combo, except the X1 had less halo.

hth

Gary.

3. Port

Port

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw both these demo-ed on the same screen last year. I greatly preferred the Davis. Far smoother, bigger but brighter picture, though colour not as strong. As usual, if you are affected by rainbows, this would be a danger. Davis is now quite old, and I would hope that any more modern DLP would be even better.