1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Davis DL450 DLP + digital video input.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by binbag, Jun 29, 2004.

1. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have a Davis DL450 pj. It has an EVC socket. Does anybody know if this model will accept a DVI input via adaptor. I have a Lindy adaptor and yet to raise an input on the pj. I am coming to the conclusion that the pj uses the connecter to handle other functions (earlier models had a 232 port which this one doesn't) and keeps the video analogue.

Anybody ever had one (or one of the many clones) and can give me a definate yes or no on this?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I had a DLS 8, and used vga into it from a pc (htpc) and the image quality difference between htpc and s-video and composite is astonishing.

I used an evc to vga adapter to cut out the buffer box (£45 IIRC), and that worked very well. The BB can introduce some noise apparently which is why the adapter is reccommended.

As you suspected, the Davis cannot take DVI, but you can use a DVI to vga adapter as far as I know to feed it a vga signal. By using a pc (radeon graphics card is best), you can give the pj an 800 x 600 feed with a progressive signal at 75hz for PAL and 72hz for NTSC, which should eliminate judder and be perectly scaled to fit the panel. Picture quality doesn't get any better than that. :)

Mark Grant is still driving a Davis Cinema One via htpc as far as I know, so that's someone else who may be able to help you with info should you need any more. I'll help if can though.

There are some DVD players that have vga out, and they produce good pictures too - I have a Skywoth 1050p which has 800 x 600 output for PAl and 640 x 480 for NTSC. Unfortunately the Davis will only use 640 x 480 of the full panel, so it will be smaller han a PAL output. I'm sure there are other players that will output at 800 x 600 for both though.

I still reccommend HTPC as the best source for the Davis though.

Gary.

3. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks Gary,

Where did you get the adaptor? I've only located US ones so far.

As for the input I've recently bought an Iscan HD - more to do with multiple sources and ease of use than PQ margins. However the scaled picture from my pc was the reason that I bought the pj.

Time to send some cables back...

binbag.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Hi BB,

I got my adapter from these people in 2000:

http://www.nti1.co.uk

The direct link to the adapter doesn't appear to work any more, and I can't find any mention of evc via the search, so it's possible they no longer sell it. Try them anyway, as they may be able to get one for you.

Chances are they'll have to get one from the States too, so you might be better off buying direct. If you're getting a vga to vga cable, you have to make sure pin 5 (IIRC) isn't wired or physically in the plug, as it can allow a 5v feed to go where it shouldn't - I think it comes from the PC into the pj, though my memory fails me to the details.

I just tried a search over on www.avsforum.com but the archives don't seem to have any of the old posts covering this subject. I think most standard vga cables don't have pin 5 in the plug anyway, so you probably won't have to worry.

I take it you're using the PC to act as scaler/deinterlacer for the pj, so you're getting the best source available. I probably don't need to mention it, but you can use Zoomplayer to improve the scaling options - by using zoomplayer, you can increase the size of the image to a theoretical 848 x 480, which is pixel to pixel scaling for NTSC, though you lose a few pixels each side. Otherwise you can 800 x 450 and lose a few lines of resolution.

Also, use Avia to set white and black levels. IIRC, I had the contrast at one end of the scale, and the brightness at the other, which seemed odd but produced a better picture.

HTH

Gary.

5. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Sourced an adaptor from DVIgear.com for $62 (40% of which is postage).

Cable is a Lindy 10m SVGA. Hopefully that'll keep things simple and the picture clean.

binbag.