1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Davis Cinemaone and NTSC

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pir8e, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Pir8e

Pir8e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Davis Cinemaone and did not realise when I purchased it, that it did not have NTSC playback ! I just get a black and white output. Does anyone know of an internal mod that can be made or am I stuck with having to buy an expencive converter or just sell the thing and get a new projector ?
    I didnt pay a lot for it second hand and had fantastic service from elite-visuals (Southport) who did a very cheap and super repair for me, and overall I am well pleased with the quality, but I just do not want to resign myself to watching my 70% Ntsc collection of LD on the tosh 32" when I have the projector to use, if you see my point.

All help and comments gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance

2. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Pir8e,

Is this with the s-video connection?

Never really tried NTSC on s-video on my Cinema one, always used HCPC.

I will try a DVD player with it on Tuesday night and let you know.

Mark.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I don't recall the Davis not having NTSC playback. I think it did both PAL and NTSC.

Look into the projector menus and check that Signal Standard is set to AUTO. Also, have a look at you cables to the projector. The sort of problem you describe can be caused by a faulty S lead. Finally, try a composite connection from the LD player direct to the projector.

Regards

4. Pir8e

Pir8e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its the same with both composite and s-video. When I play an NTSC film It flashes up in bottom left corner "Ntsc playback" , but it is still black and white for both s-vid and comp.
    The only menus I can find do not have in depth options, only.....
    focus/zoom/sharpness etc
    colour warmth
    input select
    mode 4/3 - 16/9
    orientation (mirror etc)

Nothing like what you mentioned, unless there is a more detailed menu that you can access, but I cannot see how.

Thanks for your help so far.

5. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Pir8e,

Just dug out the old fashioned DVD player thing from the cuboard, found an s-video cable and played a region 1 DVD, it autodetects NTSC and plays colour OK (looks bad though).

I would suggest pressing the green button to cause an autosync or whatever while you are trying to get a picture.

You should build a HCPC with theatertek, you would not believe the improvement with that projector. Gary will tell you..

Good luck,

Mark.

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,670
    I must concur with Mark. :)

A Radeon equipped PC will give you a picture that is such a huge improvement over a standard DVD player, that you will think you're using a different projector.

It'll be a much smoother and richer looking image, and the hardware won't cost a great deal - around £200 (or more depending on the componenets) to build a cheap machine fron scratch. I've used Win98se, WinMe and XP, and all worked fine. I'm currently using PowerDVD 5 (XP is as good image wise), and it gives a very smooth and detailed image. TT is the player of choice though.

Sorry I can't help with the ntsc image - my Davis DLS8 was fine with NTSC as well. If you use the same lead from laserdisc to tv, does that show up as colour?

Gary.

7. Pir8e

Pir8e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea, I know the leads and amp are 100% cos my old sharp xv20c worked fine. I would love to set up a dvd pc in future, need to talk the wife around as to where I will put one in the living room though !!! But its not so much the DVD I am worried about its my LD collection. I have 100's of all the greatest movies and miss being able to watch them. I am one of the few who think the LD picture is better than my dvd, dont want to start a quality row, so ignore I said that....lol. I will try what you suggested now and let you know later tonight.

Thanks again

8. Pir8e

Pir8e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, some forward motion, after using the on screen secam/ntsc/pal video choice green menu button the laser discs play fine !! But on the slightly downside my dvd plays still perfect black and white. Its definatly converted to ntsc, the picture is real sharp Black/White, just should be colour. The dvd is a Pioneer DV-505. One of the first ones into the UK some 7 years old. It works 100% with my Toshiba TV, Pal and ntsc play fine, just not the davisC1. I know I am doing something stupid I just cannot see what. When I change the region on the player via the remote I cannot see any other options, Like forcing ntsc playback. I am now thinking it is the dvd player at fault. Are there anymore menus on the dv-505 I wonder ? or is it just my ignorance....

At least my LD now play !!

Thanx again

9. Pir8e

Pir8e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    W00T! Found it ! It was the dang little switch on the back of the dvd player, it was set to the pal position ! Now I see the problem. My TV converts the signal from Pal to NTSC so it plays fine. But the projector is incapable of converting the signal only playing it ! And I was feeding it a Pal signal carrying the ntsc coding.
    Well thats my logic anyway.

Your comments made me think on long and hard, so thanks to you all..

mark (Pir8e)

10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,670
    Now you just have to get that pc - you can even feed your laserdisc player through it using a capture card like the PCTV Rave or WinTV Go, and DScaler software (which is free).

You'll be surprised by the increased quality. :)

Gary.