1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Davis cinema one opinions sought

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rory29, Dec 1, 2000.

1. rory29

rory29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kind of considering this model can
    anyone give me their views on this
    machine ie picture Q,any problems
    encounterd etc?thanks Rory.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    I evaluated one of these before deciding on something else. Whilst the immediate impact of the picture is pretty good, the one thing that put me off enough to make be look elsewhere was the DLP rainbow effect. I found this extremely distracting.

It goes like this: The picture is actually divided into 3 colour components, red, green, blue, and, unlike any other technology, these three elements are displayed in sequence, ie, the picture is alternately all red, all green, and all blue. This all happens so quickly that your brain merges the three colours together and you have your full colour picture. However, if you look at an image with some decent contrasty edges and then move your eyes back and forth across the image, the three-colour sequence becomes visible against the contrasty edges - rather like a rainbow. On a large screen, and a widescreen image particularly, I think you'll see this effect most of the time. I couldn't stand it.

My opinion only. Go get a demo, and watch for this effect, to see if you are disturbed by it. AFAIK its worse on PAL signals than NTSC (because of the lower frame rate on PAL).

I think this will be true of all single-chip DLP devices. 3-chip DLPs solve it but are hugely expensive.....

3. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what its worth , I saw no rainbow effect on the new Seleco 1 chip DLP (ht200) - and I was specifically looking for it.

4. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    just seen the seleco ht200-not bad -but a little soft-and again- cartoony.
    Better than the sony lcd though-but seriously overpriced for a one chipper dlp!!!!!

5. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what it's worth, I saw plenty of rainbow effect on the new Seleco HT200. I must be particularly sensitive to it though.

Has less rainbow flashing than all other 1 chip DLP projectors I have tried. On the HT200 the effect was mostly only disturbing on the very bright highlights in the image whereas on other DLP projectors the effect was more frequent and also on the moderately bright highlights.

Blacks are, as usual, no where near black but are at least a darker grey than all other DLPs I have tried.

Couldn't get an acceptable image on the HT200 no matter how much I tweaked it and the DVD player feeding it. Not as impressive as I had hoped it would be and came away feeling it was a tad over priced.

The designers need to give it a couple of more coats of thinking about if they want to make the most of DLP technology. I am not sure they will ever solve the rainbow flashing problem by using a spinning colour wheel not matter how fast they spin it.

And why drive the DLP system with 60fps when 36 of those frames are redundant? DLP doesn't require field or frame refresh to prevent flicker as CRTs do, so why not drive it at 24 or 25fps for movies and eliminate the motion judder. May improve the rainbow artifact as well but I am not sure.

And there is no digital input.

For a projector designed from the outset as a home cinema unit I found it quite noisy, at least the one I auditioned.

I am being hard on the HT200 but we do need to be critical and pass our constructive critism onto the manufacturers, give them ideas and let them know what we really want.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Guys,

We are right to be critical of products so that manufacturers can help create better in the future. However, I do think that we need to put things in perspective here.

Can anyone name a "single" fixed panel display that they have seen that offers a superior performance to the Seleco unit? Forget about CRT's we all know they're great!

There are undoubtedly things that can be improved on any display device but at the end of the day it is all about costs and available technology. Compromises must be made and it's a matter of which are the least objectionable.

I am now very interested to see a production unit having read about Ludae seeing the rainbow effect. As I had said, the last engineering sample I saw had no visible rainbow and I too am very susceptible to this. I couldn't comment on noise as the venue was not suitable for this. From a purely picture quality point of view I have never seen any fixed panel projector that I felt had that level of performance. Yes, I'd still have my CRT but if it wasn't possible it would be on my list for a dem.

The HT250 will be out after Xmas and perhaps this may have a digital input. Maybe the HT200 may end up with one at some point. Chicken and Egg maybe..... Perhaps we need a few products with digital outputs..... and then where would CRT be. I suppose I can always get a SDI interface for my Vigatec!

Oh well, off to work.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

7. lioncrunch

lioncrunch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I got one of these 4 years ago £2500.
    I think its great, rainbow effect what rainbow effect,I have 5-6-7-ft screens, picture is perfect, included with tv tuner, its better than my Hitachi, one drawback is the fan noise on quiet scenes, i did"nt notice at my last home, because i had a dedicated room, but boo, hoo, its in the living room.
    would recommend it.

lioncrunch..............

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    I had the Davis DLS8 which gave a picture that was comparable to the Infocus X1, except the X1 had a scaler/deinterlacer built in, and I was using an HTPC. I don't know if the cinema one has better image processing than the DLS8, but if it doesn't, you will need an external scaler or HTPC to produce an image without jaggies etc.

Pjs have come a long way since then, but I think you'll still enjoy the image you can get from it provided the source is pretty good (don't forget the scaler - depending on how picky you are). Just don't pay too much - a DL450 went for £200 on ebay recently and you can get new DLPs with warranty for around £600.

Lamps may cost £300 to £400 when they need replacing, so find out how many hours it has done. Can you get a demo of it?

Gary.