David Lammy lambasts Comic Relief

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now before I start.... I can honestly say, that I always disagree with Lammy's political views and stance on just about anything.

But on this issue I am 100% behind him. He has accused Stacey Dooley of perpetuating “tired and unhelpful stereotypes” about Africa. She has dome a piece for Comic Relief where she holds a black child, whilst showing the sad face and getting us, from the comfort of our sofa to donate money.
I works!
In my opinion David Lammy is right when he tweeted "The world does not need any more white saviours. As I've said before, this just perpetuates tired and unhelpful stereotypes. "

He talked to Comic relief before about this type of promotional film after Ed Sheeran's film - which was along the same lines. But they continue to do the same.

As someone who knows various countries in Africa pretty well, it is just perpetuates our prejudices, to raise money.

They don’t want any white saviours, but they’d still like us to give them money? Or is that too cynical?

I gave up feeling guilty years ago.

In addition, over time and different countries, the money given goes into various accounts and very little ends up where it's needed.

I also quickly swap TV stations when a charity advert appears pleading with a bleeding heart for money - those bloody adverts are very long-winded.

Isn't it strange that the TV adverts don't appear in the African countries concerned. I wonder why?

(Oh, no I don't - I know why).

They don’t want any white saviours, but they’d still like us to give them money? Or is that too cynical?
Of course they accept money but we should raise it in an honest way. Sending a celeb out to 'Africa' where they stay in a top class hotel and go out on location during the day to the nearest shack and hold a black child, preferably with a few flies is not the way.
Interestingly it is the 'left bleeding hearts' that actually support this kind of TV program. In fact they just can't see what they doing wrong. (OK, I was listening to Shelagh Fogarty:eek:)

Stacey Dooley was in Uganda holding up a black child with a sad face. It's sad that she has fallen into the trap so many others have fallen into, but having said that - maternal instinct probably plays a big part and how can anyone argue against such a powerful natural force?

Not me.

I gave up feeling guilty years ago.

In addition, over time and different countries, the money given goes into various accounts and very little ends up where it's needed.

Ditto that.

As for some of the charities, have you seen how much the CEO's get paid:eek:

Gave up with all that stuff a while ago.

What i'd be happy to do is buy more African goods, if we can open up trade barriers and see more of their stuff in the shops.

Lets help them trade their way out of poverty etc.

Sick and tired of seeing the usual stuff on the TV.

A man who earns just short of 80k per year, and has access to a large expense account, doesn’t have room to talk when he doesn’t lift a finger to do anything to raise awareness or money for impoverished areas.

In my opinion David Lammy is right when he tweeted "The world does not need any more white saviours. As I've said before, this just perpetuates tired and unhelpful stereotypes. "

I assume he wants to see an end to this.

_93034841_chart2.jpg

David Lammy and many others have an issue with the imagery.
Whether we give to charity or continue with government aid is a separate subject.

Does Comic Relief have to use this tired image of the white woman shedding a tear, holding a black child with a few flies? It has been used by charities for as long as I can remember and reinforces old stereotypes (if you are white).

Comic relief should use a more modern angle. Perhaps showing indigenous people in the country doing good and showing how contributions would help?*

*I also have views on charities, having worked in Somalia- but let's not cloud the issue with that!

David Lammy is racist against whites (maybe any colour other than black) and a mouthy gobsh*te. Some black people are so embittered about the past they seem to forget that the current generations are just as disgusted in what happed in earlier centuries, mostly as usual by rich powerful men.

I really wish colour wouldn't come into it. She's a celebrity of the moment (unfortunately) that can generate interest and therefore money. I'm sure the BBC has also had black popular celbs doing stuff too over the years.

Lets start ensuring the poor, unfortunates around the world (not just Africa) have bank accounts that we can put money directly into their accounts*. Then we know they get 100% of the donation. Maybe something like that already exists but I don't know about it. Id happily send some money monthly to a family to help them survive & get their kids educated (and only have kids if they can afford it!).

*I realise not everyone has easy access to banks or the internet, so fix that too.

Last edited:
Is Lenny Henry still anything to do with Comic Relief? Maybe he could go and hold some babies, flies optional, would that keep
Lammy happy?

Black/Asian appearance more to Lammy's liking: (ref:Comic Relief: Celebrity Supporters - Look to the Stars)

Alesha Dixon; Ben Harper; Konnie Huq; Laura Mvula; Lenny Henry; Oritsé Williams; David Haye; Emmanuel Jal; Frank Bruno; Wayne Brady;

Oh... and Claudia Winkleman…. she always looks black to me with the amount of make-up she trowels on! Surprised she's not fell foul of the "Black Face" brigade.

As I say, Lammy is just a mouthy rascist. Every time I see him talk it looks like he's on the verge of smacking someone. Surprised cameraman doesn't have to wipe spit off the lens with Lammy's venomous tone.

Last edited:
We have pumped billions of pounds into Africa yet nothing changes, how can this be? Though in fairness you would be hard pushed to find a poor politician in Africa.

Lammy probably hates Madonna....

is she still buying black babies as accessories?

Yeh, but lets ask them when they are grown up if they are glad a Multimillionaire tried to give them a nice, safe & wealthy home to grow up in or if they wish they'd been left in the African care system.

We have pumped billions of pounds into Africa yet nothing changes, how can this be? Though in fairness you would be hard pushed to find a poor politician in Africa.

Corruption is not treated the same way in Africa, there it is a way of life and accepted as normal.

If you live and work in Africa south of the Sahara it is something that has to be taken on board otherwise nothing gets done. Handouts pave the way to success.

Also the social fabric is quite feudal-like in structure and the higher up the structure you go so the handouts increase in line.

If you or an organisation is inexperienced the word spreads around and it becomes very costly. Young wide-eyed aid organisations are most welcome.

Bear in mind though not all Africans accept corruption as a way of life, sometimes commerce and deals can be undertaken without the usual envelope.

Corruption is not treated the same way in Africa, there it is a way of life and accepted as normal.

If you live and work in Africa south of the Sahara it is something that has to be taken on board otherwise nothing gets done. Handouts pave the way to success.

Also the social fabric is quite feudal-like in structure and the higher up the structure you go so the handouts increase in line.

If you or an organisation is inexperienced the word spreads around and it becomes very costly. Young wide-eyed aid organisations are most welcome.

Bear in mind though not all Africans accept corruption as a way of life, sometimes commerce and deals can be undertaken without the usual envelope.
Your post doers not explain where the billions have gone, every other day I see a plea for money for the provision of fresh water and have done so for decades. How is this issue still an issue?

Your post doers not explain where the billions have gone, every other day I see a plea for money for the provision of fresh water and have done so for decades. How is this issue still an issue?

I think he is saying that when you pay £1 to a UK charity let’s say that 70p actually heads off towards Africa after the charity’s operating expenses are deducted. When it hits Africa, that’s when the ‘facilitation’ charges start. Payments to organisations and officials to ‘oil the wheels’ to get things done. By the time it gets to actually paying for materials and workers wouldn’t surprise me if there is only 5p left.

Cheers,

Nigel

or if they wish they'd been left in the African care system.
A shame about all the unwanted growing children in the care systems throughout the US, while all these celebs are adopting designer babies to order from Africa, China etc, or through 'gestational surrogates' and promoting the practice.

I think he is saying that when you pay £1 to a UK charity let’s say that 70p actually heads off towards Africa after the charity’s operating expenses are deducted. When it hits Africa, that’s when the ‘facilitation’ charges start. Payments to organisations and officials to ‘oil the wheels’ to get things done. By the time it gets to actually paying for materials and workers wouldn’t surprise me if there is only 5p left.

Cheers,

Nigel
Which is why these charities will never get a bolt off me. I prefer to give to local charities in my case cat and dog homes and eat her than give money I will pay for a load of food, beds, trays, cleaning products etc etc, stuff I know they need as they have wish lists. That way I know where my dosh is going.

This constant begging from Africa and few results from major donations gets right up my nose.

They never change, even china knows.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom