David gemmell books/related collectables

I've written down the value of all my collection and my wife has said that on my demise they'll be the first to go!

Hahah love it. Nice and sentimental. My mate is a bass player, he hangs out on this bass forum and the most common fear they all have is that their wives will sell their bass collection for the price they told them they paid for the guitars... heh.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Noel.. but have you see the three fine, signed hcs of Legend, King and Waylander that want nearly four grand between them? Haha way too rich for my blood.

Good find Theydon, especially at that price. The faint black lines on the pages that the seller mentioned are in my copy too.

Probably. Didn’t check the seller. They look lovely but those prices are insane.

So... I got bore and started buying other 80s first ed hcs... Jonathan Wylie, Katharine Kerr, Louise Cooper and Guy Gavriel Kay...

You guys collect any other first Ed’s?

I have managed to resist the temptation, though I did look longingly at some of the premium JRR Tolkien hardbacks (not 1st edition, rather the fancy presentation ones). Instead I decided to spend it all on nursery fees, yay!

Found something I think is pretty cool, and this seems like the group to share it with that might hopefully also think its cool. I live in Oregon, on the west coast of the USA, and I've found some cool David Gemmell books in thrift stores here from time to time ( one of our local thrifts brings in Welsh furniture and sometimes books come with the furniture.) Anyways, this weekend I found what I think is a 1st/1st Hardback of Ghost King, signed and dated March 12, 1988. Searched the date, and amazingly found there was a Forbidden Planet signing of his new book for an hour that day on the Forbidden Planet website, even with some pics! The cover is a bit beat up and the previous owner used a little tape to secure it on the book (sigh), but amazed that something so cool could end up in an Oregon thrift shop for $2.79.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190507_141920456.jpg
    MVIMG_20190507_141920456.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20190507_141902690.jpg
    IMG_20190507_141902690.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 96
Found something I think is pretty cool, and this seems like the group to share it with that might hopefully also think its cool. I live in Oregon, on the west coast of the USA, and I've found some cool David Gemmell books in thrift stores here from time to time ( one of our local thrifts brings in Welsh furniture and sometimes books come with the furniture.) Anyways, this weekend I found what I think is a 1st/1st Hardback of Ghost King, signed and dated March 12, 1988. Searched the date, and amazingly found there was a Forbidden Planet signing of his new book for an hour that day on the Forbidden Planet website, even with some pics! The cover is a bit beat up and the previous owner used a little tape to secure it on the book (sigh), but amazed that something so cool could end up in an Oregon thrift shop for $2.79.

Hi Greg and welcome.
That is a fantastic discovery! A HB Ghost King that is not a dog-eared ex-library copy is rare enough, but a signed and dated copy at that is unbelievable. What a find and thanks for the pics. I have very much settled for my unsigned but nice HB copy. Well, mine does have a book plate signature which has clearly been cut out of a paperback, so that doesn't count!

Hi Greg and welcome.
That is a fantastic discovery! A HB Ghost King that is not a dog-eared ex-library copy is rare enough, but a signed and dated copy at that is unbelievable. What a find and thanks for the pics. I have very much settled for my unsigned but nice HB copy. Well, mine does have a book plate signature which has clearly been cut out of a paperback, so that doesn't count!

You guys have some amazing collections on here, mine is only currently the Ghost King, a signed paperback trade Wolf in Shadow and the first Arrow print of Legend. So pretty minimal, but I've loved Gemmell's books for so long and its been fun finding books he signed out in the wild and halfway around the world! After finding this one, I think I may have to officially start collecting his books as well. Seeing what you guys have put together is inspiring me...

Well you've made a great start. It may be unwise to track down signed copies of all his books in hardback, some of the early ones are pricey enough unsigned as it is. I would suggest not wasting money on poor quality ex-library books as you'll only want to replace them with better ones still.
You can get every hardback from First Chronicles of Druss the Legend to the latest pretty cheap. It gets increasingly expensive as you go back earlier from that title. You might get another lucky break though. You never know!

Thanks for the advice. Not much disposable income, so I'm going to be relying more on luck than cash. Still, though, its fun to have a collection to work on, and I already lucked into one of the hardest pieces to get...

Hi Greg welcome. Yes you certainly lucked into that one. Arguably one of the hardest to find (Ghost King and LSOP) due to the same ISBNs for their paperback and hardback editions.

Best of luck. I recommend the daily search of abebooks for any cheap early hardbacks that sellers are unaware of their rarity (some people in here search hourly I’m sure of it!!)

So I am playing the downsize game meaning that I am getting rid of quite a lot of my collection. I am keeping hold of my stuff associated with Legend since it means the most to me, but that means a few things are up for grabs if anyone is interested.

In particular, my signed mint HC Morningstar might be of interest to some people here. Also my fine condition samplers (Winter Warriors not numbered) and fine Swords of Night and Day ARC. If you are interested let me know and we can sort something out. I will create an advert on here if need be Theydon.

Attachments

• CF78EA69-3F3A-4143-9256-5FA6FF6AB86F.jpeg
    CF78EA69-3F3A-4143-9256-5FA6FF6AB86F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 100
  • 8FEC762B-35E1-4BDE-A049-BBBEB4EB95F8.jpeg
    8FEC762B-35E1-4BDE-A049-BBBEB4EB95F8.jpeg
    897 KB · Views: 83
  • 3B5DD2CC-5FC7-4C50-9863-733791EA18B4.jpeg
    3B5DD2CC-5FC7-4C50-9863-733791EA18B4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 126
  • 96256E4F-FC42-4A8B-A3E0-C935FA7F4FB6.jpeg
    96256E4F-FC42-4A8B-A3E0-C935FA7F4FB6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 83
  • 966F9A7E-21AB-4D89-8720-6A3CBAA62DEF.jpeg
    966F9A7E-21AB-4D89-8720-6A3CBAA62DEF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
  • 4B8A8051-1E25-479A-BDC9-27605BB44254.jpeg
    4B8A8051-1E25-479A-BDC9-27605BB44254.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 83
Cheers for the offer Jimbo. I think I am happy with my collection now, other than a signed nice Hero in the Shadows. I've stuck to my rule of only getting signed books from the 2nd publisher era (Deathwalker onwards) as the early books are pricey enough even without a signature. The signed Morningstar is very nice though. What were you aiming to get for it?

If I get £300 for it after PayPal fees etc I will be happy. I got it for a lot, lot less than that and would usually price lower accordingly but I think it’s a fair price for it’s rarity and I need to compensate for my ex-libs I bought for £100+

Ah yeah, I think we all here paid too much for some ratty ex-libs when we were starting out. Don't sell anything you'll regret later though!

Hi Jimbo,

Are you sure you want to move some pieces on?

I need a copy of Novacon and would also love the sampler. Contact me and let's set it up.

Many thanks.

Yes I didn’t get much interest in the HCs (someone offered me £80 each for Waylander and signed mint Morningstar!!) so decided to keep them and sell off the paperbacks instead.

I am still willing to part with the Novacon and sampler though.

I managed to bag a VG Signed Hero in the Shadows for £29 (world of books - rare books division) which means I have finally completed my mission to get a nice signed copy of every book in the Penguin Random House range (except Troy2 and 3 for obvious reasons).
20190523_181323.jpg

This lot I am just happy enough to have unsigned HB non-exlib. They cost enough as it is!
20190523_181340.jpg

I only have a paperback Drenai Tales ('91original) so I guess that could be improved. ... and somewhere out there, one copy of the Caswallon manuscript exists woooo. (Yeah, you've got to have one dream that doesn't ever come true).

I have found if you ask Kate enough times eventually she responds. Maybe chat with her about it. And Stan definitely knows more than he is letting on to about all that kind of stuff! :D

And congrats on the signed collection, very nice indeed

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom