David gemmell books/related collectables

cdavison27086

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to see what people have gemmell wise and how much you paid for any bargains (optional if you want to keep it secret) and I will upload my own pics of my best parts of my collection shortly

Here's some to start it off it's a copy of legend the game for zx spectrum and includes a book the game and a map

Attachments

• image-270430283.jpg
    image-270430283.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 781
  • image-1827285811.jpg
    image-1827285811.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:
I thought I was the Gemmell king, but I was toppled a while back by Nickmag08, who basically has all the main books and the BKWS:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/15194448-post38.html

He is missing one of the compilations though, Sipstrassi Tales or possibly the Jerusalum Man? I dont recall.

I do have a half completed website that I must finish, detailing prices etc that I paid, as well as pictures, and I do have some collectables in the form of book proofs and leaflets as well as the signed Hardback GN of Legend, and the majority of my books are all signed as well.

Dont have the Spectrum game though - I think my mate did, thats where his copy of the book came from.

Wow that's a big collection I'm guessing multiples one been 1/1 copy a signed copy I thort I had a few lol got nothing like that tho but I hope to oneday maybe

My Current Gemmell 'shelf'. I also have Shield of Thunder Proof thats on my other bookcase.

The items on top of the Troy Books are the GM magazine (Druss the Legend preview), The SFX sampler book (short stories from people including Gemmell), Lion of Macedon Sampler (Waterstones?), and Winter Warriors sampler (Comiccon)

gemmellbookcase-jpg.365279

Attachments

• gemmellbookcase.jpg
    gemmellbookcase.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 3,900
Theydon Bois said:
My Current Gemmell 'shelf'. I also have Shield of Thunder Proof thats on my other bookcase.

The items on top of the Troy Books are the GM magazine (Druss the Legend preview), The SFX sampler book (short stories from people including Gemmell), Lion of Macedon Sampler (Waterstones?), and Winter Warriors sampler (Comiccon)

Have no proofs at all tried to find some but can only see some expensive looking ones that I can't condone buying at the mo feel a need to expand my collection but struggling to find anything good might sell off some excess to fund some purchases

Feel free to set up a classifieds - what have you got that are classed as spares?

I used to think my Gemmell collection was ok till I saw the others on here. Got to try and catch up with hardbacks at some point. Don't know if you know already but Stella Gemmell has a book out soon so at least we can still look forward to some Gemmell related stuff.

The City: Amazon.co.uk: Stella Gemmell: Books

I was lucky to meet David Gemmell a few times and got a lot signed, but we only took a picture one time and somehow that has vanished on a old hard drive somewhere. Don't think my friend who introduced to me ever got a copy of his photo either.

Still a shame he passed away so early, September was always my fav month when I knew his new book was coming out. I hope Stella's book will be good, not read the last 2 troy books so I don't know how the one she finished of went. If she does any signing I will go and pass my regards/thanks on to her.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
cebs_uk said:
I used to think my Gemmell collection was ok till I saw the others on here. Got to try and catch up with hardbacks at some point. Don't know if you know already but Stella Gemmell has a book out soon so at least we can still look forward to some Gemmell related stuff.

I was lucky to meet David Gemmell a few times and got a lot signed, but we only took a picture one time and somehow that has vanished on a old hard drive somewhere. Don't think my friend who introduced to me ever got a copy of his photo either.

Still a shame he passed away so early, September was always my fav month when I knew his new book was coming out. I hope Stella's book will be good, not read the last 2 troy books so I don't know how the one she finished of went. If she does any signing I will go and pass my regards/thanks on to her.

Yeh I saw that somewhere might pick it up and give it a go just In the process of reading fall of kings its the last gemmell book I haven't read yet

Theydon Bois said:
Feel free to set up a classifieds - what have you got that are classed as spares?

An ex libris copy of the last guardian possibly a copy of legend haven't decided if I want to sell one yet and a few signed terry pratchett books I might be persuaded to part with

Am interested in Legend (black version of the two hardbacks) dependant on condition and price but Jan I am broke paying back into savings that I should on pain of castration have not dipped into whatsoever over Christmas, meaning Middle of Feb I may well have disposable cash.....

I'll take second place in line for a legend hardback. I always forget the release order for legend, was it paperback with druss in white first and then a hardback a bit later?

I never knew there was a spectrum game before so thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out for it on ebay now.

I got into Gemmell in about 94/95 and read all my friends that he had and then got the releases as they came out after that so never paid over £15 for a hardback from memory. I think too many people have tried to cash in after his passing as the Drenai omnibus are just reprints really but seem to go for about £200.

I would love to find a black swan/white knight (or otherway round i forget) in a charity shop but been looking for a good ten years and no joy yet.

cebs_uk said:
I'll take second place in line for a legend hardback. I always forget the release order for legend, was it paperback with druss in white first and then a hardback a bit later?

I never knew there was a spectrum game before so thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out for it on ebay now.

I got into Gemmell in about 94/95 and read all my friends that he had and then got the releases as they came out after that so never paid over £15 for a hardback from memory. I think too many people have tried to cash in after his passing as the Drenai omnibus are just reprints really but seem to go for about £200.

I would love to find a black swan/white knight (or otherway round i forget) in a charity shop but been looking for a good ten years and no joy yet.

Yes the white cover was 1984 the hardcover was 1986 the spectrum game I found about 6mths ago and it sold for just over £30 I got mine 2 days ago for £12 minus the book witch I already had, I only got into gemmell around 3yrs ago

Have no proofs at all tried to find some but can only see some expensive looking ones that I can't condone buying at the mo feel a need to expand my collection but struggling to find anything good might sell off some excess to fund some purchases

The Proofs are all as rare as rocking horse doodoo. The one that pops up a lot is the Troy one, I think that probably had the largest publication, but they I would imagine there print run is 1000 tops? I have had a longer period of time to get my collection, and did grab a couple that were sold at the same time - another time when I was absolutely broke, well, broke enough to afford two of the five? six that I recall where on ebay at the time.

I went every year from very early on except the last year - so saw him probably a dozen times. I still have not read the last two books due to some weird feeling that that will confirm somehow that he is dead, which I of course know he is, and so I simply cannot explain it rationally.

I had not known about her book, so thanks for that, and I will keep an eye on it.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Yes the white cover was 1984 the hardcover was 1986 the spectrum game I found about 6mths ago and it sold for just over £30 I got mine 2 days ago for £12 minus the book witch I already had, I only got into gemmell around 3yrs ago

He often remarked that he hated the cover, saying he looked like an armoured Dwarf. :D I dont think he liked the US cover of Legend ("Against the Horde") because he also looked a little Dwarf in that as well, and well the black cover of Legend has a swordsman (Ulric's Champion?), so it was all a bit wrong :D

I also have paid cover price for pretty much all my books, however, some did escape me, or at the time, my collectors urge just did not kick in enough - why did I want the compilations when I had the originals? I bought the first Trade paperback (91?) at the time, because at that time I dont think I had a bookcase that had anything other than paperbacks on it, and so the £5 more expensive hardback would have looked out of place. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I grabbed Vol 3 ages ago from someone - and this shows how long ago, as I got it through Loot - yep, that thing we used in olden days before the internet was born. :D

Vol 2 was the one missing for me, and as I got closer and closer to owning all the books, it was always one I was looking out for. I then got a pay bump last year, found I had more disposable income, started trawling the internet and found a couple, but the one I bought was the far better of the two.

Then not even a month later I found myself lusting after Vol 1, and a bit of bartering saved me £20, and is my most expensive book bought to date. That will change though as I am missing the first three Hardbacks and books 4-6 are not to my standards either.

As for WKBS, I too have been trawling charity shops, and knowing my luck will find a copy, in your grubby mits as you are trying not to wet yourself before you get to the counter to pay for it. :rotfl:

If i find a cheap one ever, we can have a time share on it don't worry but that put it at a 3rd each as my mate who introduced me to already had a share in it.

Notes from website back in 2007 :blush:
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Previously (End 2006?): I also won a Legend of Deathwalker UK Proof edition for £45, and a Library edition of Last Sword of Power for £65 (condition is more like my current copy of Ghost King) which is unsigned, and a supurb signed copy of Druss the Legend for £41.

January 22nd: I have decided to make this site more in line with my other pages, and so have added news relative to these pages - even if it is just for me to read back a year or so later. I have been quite fortunate that I have had a little bit of cash to spend on Gemmell books during this month, and helped along by the fact that even when I think I may not get the book I want, one comes along...

January 28th: Oo. Just won a 1st edition Legend paperback (4th book this year) in what looks like near mint condition (nice tight corners and possibly no spine creases) for £31. Wasnt expecting that....

Feb 3rd: Won a signed edition of Ravenheart (5th) for £31. Very nice indeed! Hmm, no more for a while now, I have spent £200 this year on Gemmell books.....it has massively reduced my list though! :p Thats five books this year..

Feb 26th: The first book is sold (that I have seen) for more than £1000, as Waylander and a minutes worth of DVD footage goes for £1550....

March 21st: Recieved my latest DG Signed book, Echoes of the Great Song (6th) for £38.50, nearly half the £65 that I see it for normally. Well, when I say normally, I dont actually see it very often, just a couple of times at a Buy Now of £65. There is another on sale now though, with a low starting price, but I am very happy with the copy I have.

April 3rd: Got another Book in my postal sack this morning, a signed copy of Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow (7th) , paying £21 for it. Chuffed is the expression! :p

April 25th: Just updated the prices etc, and cleaned out my ebay history which I keep to watch prices.

June 28th: My list of 'signed books required' gets smaller and smaller, as I have just added a Signed Mint condition Stormrider (8th) to my collection. Normally hitting £50 to £70, the last couple have been around the £30 mark, and both of them I missed, or were at mid month end times. My copy was £25, so I was chuffed to bits.

November 1st: Sorry - no updates for a while, laptop out of action, and sitting up on my PC is seen as 'game time' and so I might as well do what I am accused off :p

Anyway, onto the books - Picked up a Signed Fall of Kings (9th) by Stella for £40 (prices have been around £40 to £55, so I was pleased to get one at the lowest end of the bidding to date.

My books are in storage at the moment and only have a messy picture, hopefully have a new place before half term and they will be back in pride of place on the bookshelve then.

cebs_uk said:
My books are in storage at the moment and only have a messy picture, hopefully have a new place before half term and they will be back in pride of place on the bookshelve then.

A messy pic is better than no pic :p

Theydon Bois said:
I also have paid cover price for pretty much all my books, however, some did escape me, or at the time, my collectors urge just did not kick in enough - why did I want the compilations when I had the originals? I bought the first Trade paperback (91?) at the time, because at that time I dont think I had a bookcase that had anything other than paperbacks on it, and so the £5 more expensive hardback would have looked out of place. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I grabbed Vol 3 ages ago from someone - and this shows how long ago, as I got it through Loot - yep, that thing we used in olden days before the internet was born. :D

Vol 2 was the one missing for me, and as I got closer and closer to owning all the books, it was always one I was looking out for. I then got a pay bump last year, found I had more disposable income, started trawling the internet and found a couple, but the one I bought was the far better of the two.

Then not even a month later I found myself lusting after Vol 1, and a bit of bartering saved me £20, and is my most expensive book bought to date. That will change though as I am missing the first three Hardbacks and books 4-6 are not to my standards either.

As for WKBS, I too have been trawling charity shops, and knowing my luck will find a copy, in your grubby mits as you are trying not to wet yourself before you get to the counter to pay for it. :rotfl:

A few of mine are not Upto standard really but one copy is better than non morning star ghost king and wolf in shadow are all ex library and very ropey but didn't cost the earth Morningstar was about £30 wolf in shadow was £27 and ghost king was a bargain £17.50

A few of mine are not Upto standard really but one copy is better than non morning star ghost king and wolf in shadow are all ex library and very ropey but didn't cost the earth Morningstar was about £30 wolf in shadow was £27 and ghost king was a bargain £17.50

I typed all that above, and then going back to my website then contradicted myself by saying I paid 30, 40, 50 quid on various books.

What I should have said was that I paid cover price at the time I bought them, and had not got all of them signed by the time he had died*, and subsequently went back and bought additional copies that were signed which cost 30, 40, 50 quid.

Clear as mud. :D

* Despite seeing him loads of times and getting fist full of books over the years signed, I still did not have every book with a signature during his lifetime, hence the multiple buys. The Year I missed, 2005, was the year I bought all the proofs I think, as they are not signed, but pretty much all my other stuff is. I have lost count the amount og Ghost King's I had as well, I think I went every year with a new version :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom