Quantcast

David gemmell books/related collectables

Rorschacy Dace

Hi Jimbo,

Are you sure you want to move some pieces on?

I need a copy of Novacon and would also love the sampler. Contact me and let's set it up.

Many thanks.

jimbo1708

Yes I didn’t get much interest in the HCs (someone offered me £80 each for Waylander and signed mint Morningstar!!) so decided to keep them and sell off the paperbacks instead.

I am still willing to part with the Novacon and sampler though.

AndyRC

I managed to bag a VG Signed Hero in the Shadows for £29 (world of books - rare books division) which means I have finally completed my mission to get a nice signed copy of every book in the Penguin Random House range (except Troy2 and 3 for obvious reasons).
20190523_181323.jpg

AndyRC

I only have a paperback Drenai Tales ('91original) so I guess that could be improved. ... and somewhere out there, one copy of the Caswallon manuscript exists woooo. (Yeah, you've got to have one dream that doesn't ever come true).

jimbo1708

I have found if you ask Kate enough times eventually she responds. Maybe chat with her about it. And Stan definitely knows more than he is letting on to about all that kind of stuff! :D

And congrats on the signed collection, very nice indeed

AndyRC

I have found if you ask Kate enough times eventually she responds. Maybe chat with her about it. And Stan definitely knows more than he is letting on to about all that kind of stuff! :D

And congrats on the signed collection, very nice indeed
Cheers Jimbo, it has taken a long time. I got rid of all my reading copies/ spares so I had a sensible sized collection (that would pleasingly sit on two shelves in my office cupboard, safe from sunlight). Unfortunately it means I now have to be very careful reading any of them. Doh!
I've had the impression (rightly or wrongly) that Kate is not in the know about the obscure unreleased stuff. Stan, being a fellow writer, would know that no author wants their work that they thought was too sh*te to release, being set loose into the wild. I probably won't ask family and friends online as I recall Steven has already asked Stan in person and probably got as much as we'll get out if him; though if Stella ever releases another book and does a signing, I will be sure to ask her in person.

AndyRC

Wise advice indeed however, call me the fool, but it would be like drinking a really fine ale out a can instead of the bespoke glass. The original hardback in its beautiful glory will elevate the tale to a higher level of immersion. The weight of the book, the smell and texture of the pages, the...oh sh*t I just sneezed on it.

jimbo1708

Wait is that a HB copy of the Legend graphic novel? Haven't seen any of those for sale in a long time (1 was up for £800 i believe which was too rich for me)

AndyRC

Wait is that a HB copy of the Legend graphic novel? Haven't seen any of those for sale in a long time (1 was up for £800 i believe which was too rich for me)
It looks like it could be in the photo, but sadly it is not. Yeah, the crazy prices for the hardback version have put me off there...and it wouldn't nicely match the Waylander one.

jimbo1708

If I had the hardback graphic Legend I would simply get rid of the paperback Wolf in Shadow one (it’s the Jerusalem man not Waylander but I’m sure you knew that :D)

jimbo1708

So someone snapped up my Swords of Night and Day proof for £75 on eBay. Wasn’t even listed for 12 hours haha. I didn’t think it would fetch more than £50 on bids but this guy must have wanted it.

I only paid £27 for it originally so don’t feel like I’ve cheated myself out of any money... I think :D

StevenSavile

Yeah I talked to Stan a lot about this - I can tell you categorically he wrote a sequel to White Knight, Black Swan, Stan's read it. David sent it to him because he thought there was something 'not right' and couldn't work out why it didn't work. Along with the manuscript was a note asking him to destroy it, and Stan did as he was asked. He said the book was fine, better than fine, and really was quite publishable as was, but David wasn't happy. To the best of his knowledge David sent a few copies to people he trusted for their opinions, and they were all asked to destroy the manuscript they were sent. I think if there had been an extant copy it would have appeared this year on the back of the WKBS rerelease last year, eking it out over too long a period doesn't sustain, so it has gone.

I don't know if Stan would chat as openly with strangers about this stuff, but he's generally very happy to talk about stuff - after all we're talking about his best friend, and best man...

Kate didn't remember anything about the story she and her dad wrote together for Great Ormond St... (I think it was) beyond the title - she was very young, and subsequently her illness has robbed her of a lot of clarity and made it difficult to remember stuff, so yeah, I wouldn't bug her.

There is a complete copy of Caswallon out there - Robin Carter has one.

AndyRC

Yeah, I figured as much, thanks for the reminder Steven. I thought Robin Carter had The Hawk and a couple of other bits and bobs (poem, a random chapter of something), I wasn't aware he had Caswallon as well. If he does then he probably therefore owns all the unpublished stuff outside of Stella and David's house (unless one of those sequel manuscripts was secretly retained).

Theydon Bois

Did someone say Hardback Legend GN?

lgn_front.jpg
lgn_interior.jpg

Theydon Bois

So someone snapped up my Swords of Night and Day proof for £75 on eBay. Wasn’t even listed for 12 hours haha. I didn’t think it would fetch more than £50 on bids but this guy must have wanted it.

I only paid £27 for it originally so don’t feel like I’ve cheated myself out of any money... I think :D
I still think Proofs are a rarer copy of the original book, but maybe thats just me. If there was ever a time in which I had to sell my copies, they would probably never sell as I would value them higher than they are :)

If you sell another, I would go higher....maybe auction start at 75, with buy now 125.

Does anyone know what other ARCs/Proofs there are? I would have thought there was one for every book, and I know when I first started collecting them, there was a large ebay lot of about 6, and I grabbed 3, but dont remember the titles of the ones I missed - this muct have been 12+ years ago easily. The only thing I remember is that they were all bound (ie not hte loose leafed versions) and one had a red or marroon cover.

Theydon Bois

So I am playing the downsize game meaning that I am getting rid of quite a lot of my collection. I am keeping hold of my stuff associated with Legend since it means the most to me, but that means a few things are up for grabs if anyone is interested.

In particular, my signed mint HC Morningstar might be of interest to some people here. Also my fine condition samplers (Winter Warriors not numbered) and fine Swords of Night and Day ARC. If you are interested let me know and we can sort something out. I will create an advert on here if need be Theydon.
That’s some rare items you are getting rid of....that novacon I was very lucky and paid about a tenner for. The sampler I missed completely, it was my mate J who saw them and picked me one up.

Theydon Bois

So who got lucky then? I stopped bidding as it was more or less identical to the copy I had, but £46? Well done!

StevenSavile

I was about to say see what happens when I don’t get involved. It wasn’t in good enough condition to make me push so after a cheeky ten quid opener I just watched to see where that last sword hc would go.

AndyRC

Oh just seen it. That is a good price for a decent looking LSOP. Reprint but not ex-library and looks slightly better than the sellers 'acceptable' rating tbh.

AndyRC

I remember that GM interview and the little box where it promised all the books to come...

Someone asked about ‘association copies’ ages ago. My mum has come to visit and brought my Knights over, which is the perfect example of an association copy... so I snapped a shot,
That makes it much higher value than flat signed. Very nice indeed.

StevenSavile

Yep, from on published fantasy author to another, by association. Now, if I were to become super famous it’d be even more valuable... I’ve got some lovely ones from Tad Williams, Terry Brooks, Etc with the ‘good luck with your writing’ message or something of that sort. And I know whenever I sign stuff for anyone who talks about wanting to write, or doing stories, I write something similar.

That makes it much higher value than flat signed. Very nice indeed.

AndyRC

It has gone a bit quiet on the exciting finds front, I agree. I've noticed that the big booksellers now do price the rare hardbacks at a much higher price rather than selling them unwittingly at bargain prices. The technology/algorithms to search for and find the correct price must have significantly improved. No cheap deals..boo.
On the plus side, it means that his books have not yet seemed to have lost their value.
As for here, I don't know about your collection Steven, but most of us have probably completed the great majority of their collection and drifted away from looking. I can still find a couple of improvements in my collection though...
My signed Echoes is not great condition, so I am actively looking for a nice new one. I might be tempted by an original Drenai Tales HB if the price is right, and of course I always have a faint lookout for news of the Caswallon manuscript as you well know (I've gone on about it enough).
The David Gemmell Fan Facebook page is always a nice place to visit, very pleasing to see so many people of all colours/creeds/religions around the world finding a common ground in DG's work.

StevenSavile

I'm not in the facebook groups anymore - I've left all groups, so i don't see any posts there.

I'm still looking for a couple of early ones to switch out poor quality ex-libs, but I'll be honest the driving need to fill the perfect collection has waned over a couple of years though I still check eBay and Abe fairly regularly just in case...