David gemmell books/related collectables

StevenSavile

Yeah I bid up to 202 quid. So whoever this chap is really wants it. Wouldn’t mind a look at the photos to decide if I want to push up to 250+ but... I’m inclined not to.

Theydon Bois

Well that LSOP shot up from £31 haha. I requested some photos and it did look nice. Was tempted to put maybe £120 down but I’m out of funds for more than that haha
Well its £207 now....

Theydon Bois

Yeah I bid up to 202 quid. So whoever this chap is really wants it. Wouldn’t mind a look at the photos to decide if I want to push up to 250+ but... I’m inclined not to.
Did you ask for more pics? And for the colour of the hard back book sans cover?

AndyRC

Someone REALLY wants it. As a guide, I bought my 1st/2nd VG with the black boards, gilt Silver lettering etc. for £154 a year or two ago. I think I was very lucky but about £200 max would be fair, any more is getting silly.

StevenSavile

Yeah he really wants it... whoever it is has been back tonight and increased their max bid... I guess I pushed them close to their limit and they want to be sure they land it... which makes it tempting to make them pay more haha

AndyRC

I just pushed them up to £217 due to being a complete bastard. Well, if they are not part of the David Gemmell collectioners collective then they must suffer the consequences!

StevenSavile

Haha nice one. I figured their top bid must have been about 215 for them to be worried when I dropped at 207... so now they will be thinking... sh*t... 250... 275... panic stations ;)

StevenSavile

Heh just to be a dick I've bumped it up so it's now floating at 232.47... that's a lot of money for something that's not even in NF condition... I'm leery of putting in another bid because I don't actually want to push it to a point where I would have to pay for it now that it's gone beyond my max I'm prepared to replace my ex-lib...

AndyRC

Ha ha, yeah it was probably getting pretty close to their limit at that point. Was it a 1st/1st do we know? It and Lion are my only 1st/2nds and I've come to accept that it is probably not worth the massive extra cash for effective one line of print on the publishers page.

StevenSavile

I don't know, have to ask Jimbo - he asked for the photos, right?

I'll be honest, my copies of GK and Wolf are FINE, my Waylander and Last Sword are only GOOD... I'll happily pay around 300 quid for a FINE copy of both... but beyond that, frankly odds are I'll be dead in 20 or so years, and I'm unlikely to actually read those copies anyway, so it's just vanity on my behalf wanting them. It's not like kids will inherit or anything, so when I go the wife (if she's still around) will just bin them anyway and have no idea what they might be worth on the secondary market...

AndyRC

I've written down the value of all my collection and my wife has said that on my demise they'll be the first to go!

StevenSavile

Hahah love it. Nice and sentimental. My mate is a bass player, he hangs out on this bass forum and the most common fear they all have is that their wives will sell their bass collection for the price they told them they paid for the guitars... heh.

StevenSavile

Noel.. but have you see the three fine, signed hcs of Legend, King and Waylander that want nearly four grand between them? Haha way too rich for my blood.

AndyRC

Good find Theydon, especially at that price. The faint black lines on the pages that the seller mentioned are in my copy too.

StevenSavile

Probably. Didn’t check the seller. They look lovely but those prices are insane.

So... I got bore and started buying other 80s first ed hcs... Jonathan Wylie, Katharine Kerr, Louise Cooper and Guy Gavriel Kay...

You guys collect any other first Ed’s?

AndyRC

I have managed to resist the temptation, though I did look longingly at some of the premium JRR Tolkien hardbacks (not 1st edition, rather the fancy presentation ones). Instead I decided to spend it all on nursery fees, yay!

Greg Scott

Novice Member
Found something I think is pretty cool, and this seems like the group to share it with that might hopefully also think its cool. I live in Oregon, on the west coast of the USA, and I've found some cool David Gemmell books in thrift stores here from time to time ( one of our local thrifts brings in Welsh furniture and sometimes books come with the furniture.) Anyways, this weekend I found what I think is a 1st/1st Hardback of Ghost King, signed and dated March 12, 1988. Searched the date, and amazingly found there was a Forbidden Planet signing of his new book for an hour that day on the Forbidden Planet website, even with some pics! The cover is a bit beat up and the previous owner used a little tape to secure it on the book (sigh), but amazed that something so cool could end up in an Oregon thrift shop for $2.79.

Attachments

AndyRC

Found something I think is pretty cool, and this seems like the group to share it with that might hopefully also think its cool. I live in Oregon, on the west coast of the USA, and I've found some cool David Gemmell books in thrift stores here from time to time ( one of our local thrifts brings in Welsh furniture and sometimes books come with the furniture.) Anyways, this weekend I found what I think is a 1st/1st Hardback of Ghost King, signed and dated March 12, 1988. Searched the date, and amazingly found there was a Forbidden Planet signing of his new book for an hour that day on the Forbidden Planet website, even with some pics! The cover is a bit beat up and the previous owner used a little tape to secure it on the book (sigh), but amazed that something so cool could end up in an Oregon thrift shop for $2.79.
Hi Greg and welcome.
That is a fantastic discovery! A HB Ghost King that is not a dog-eared ex-library copy is rare enough, but a signed and dated copy at that is unbelievable. What a find and thanks for the pics. I have very much settled for my unsigned but nice HB copy. Well, mine does have a book plate signature which has clearly been cut out of a paperback, so that doesn't count!

Greg Scott

Novice Member
Hi Greg and welcome.
That is a fantastic discovery! A HB Ghost King that is not a dog-eared ex-library copy is rare enough, but a signed and dated copy at that is unbelievable. What a find and thanks for the pics. I have very much settled for my unsigned but nice HB copy. Well, mine does have a book plate signature which has clearly been cut out of a paperback, so that doesn't count!
You guys have some amazing collections on here, mine is only currently the Ghost King, a signed paperback trade Wolf in Shadow and the first Arrow print of Legend. So pretty minimal, but I've loved Gemmell's books for so long and its been fun finding books he signed out in the wild and halfway around the world! After finding this one, I think I may have to officially start collecting his books as well. Seeing what you guys have put together is inspiring me...

AndyRC

Well you've made a great start. It may be unwise to track down signed copies of all his books in hardback, some of the early ones are pricey enough unsigned as it is. I would suggest not wasting money on poor quality ex-library books as you'll only want to replace them with better ones still.
You can get every hardback from First Chronicles of Druss the Legend to the latest pretty cheap. It gets increasingly expensive as you go back earlier from that title. You might get another lucky break though. You never know!

Greg Scott

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice. Not much disposable income, so I'm going to be relying more on luck than cash. Still, though, its fun to have a collection to work on, and I already lucked into one of the hardest pieces to get...

jimbo1708

Hi Greg welcome. Yes you certainly lucked into that one. Arguably one of the hardest to find (Ghost King and LSOP) due to the same ISBNs for their paperback and hardback editions.

Best of luck. I recommend the daily search of abebooks for any cheap early hardbacks that sellers are unaware of their rarity (some people in here search hourly I’m sure of it!!)

jimbo1708

So I am playing the downsize game meaning that I am getting rid of quite a lot of my collection. I am keeping hold of my stuff associated with Legend since it means the most to me, but that means a few things are up for grabs if anyone is interested.

In particular, my signed mint HC Morningstar might be of interest to some people here. Also my fine condition samplers (Winter Warriors not numbered) and fine Swords of Night and Day ARC. If you are interested let me know and we can sort something out. I will create an advert on here if need be Theydon.

Attachments

AndyRC

Cheers for the offer Jimbo. I think I am happy with my collection now, other than a signed nice Hero in the Shadows. I've stuck to my rule of only getting signed books from the 2nd publisher era (Deathwalker onwards) as the early books are pricey enough even without a signature. The signed Morningstar is very nice though. What were you aiming to get for it?

jimbo1708

If I get £300 for it after PayPal fees etc I will be happy. I got it for a lot, lot less than that and would usually price lower accordingly but I think it’s a fair price for it’s rarity and I need to compensate for my ex-libs I bought for £100+

AndyRC

Ah yeah, I think we all here paid too much for some ratty ex-libs when we were starting out. Don't sell anything you'll regret later though!