David gemmell books/related collectables

Discussion in 'Books & Literature' started by cdavison27086, Jan 8, 2013.

1. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Yeah, it was a difficult one to get into if you had read Gemmell before and grown used to his style. He deliberately tried to write it in a more lyrical style and I remember not liking it as much on the first read. Many others have said they think it is one of his best and on re-reads it has certainly grown in my estimation.

2. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    As for meeting him in person....they say that you should never meet your heroes. 'They' never met David Gemmell!

3. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I was chatting with a fellow author and friend of other day - been having some frustrations - and he observed ‘years ago, I was at an event with a drunk DG and was telling him about my situation, and he turned very serious, looked at me and said ‘all publishers are ****s’... and checking the timeline of that chat it’d be right in the middle of the disillusionment ...

4. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Interesting. Have the big publishers lost their stranglehold with the advent of self-publishing on e-reader platforms?

5. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    It’s weird out there right now... they still control stuff, really... but but there’s a lot of weirdness going on. Hell, I’ve been chatting to Andy Remic and a few others about starting a fantasy writers collective - not a publisher, but a direct way of helping each other reach broader audiences and remove published influence... so you never know what the future holds...

6. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I assume the biggest danger of the self-publishing freedom now opening up, is having your work being swamped in the mounds of crap writing that could build up. Power then unfortunately moves from the old publishers to the search engine mega corporations who can control your visibility. A group like you suggested would be far harder to ignore than individual authors; so it sounds a good idea to me.

7. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Well somebody else REALLY wanted the signed Sword in the Storm as it just went for £97.82 factoring in p&p. Too much of a stretch for me, especially with the slight spine lean. Ah well, the search continues.

8. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Oh god... spine lean. Save the pennies. I wouldn’t even pay ten quid.

Yeah there’s a massive risk of disappearing into the crowd. But that happens all the time, anyway. Getting noticed today is really hard. I don’t know the secret.

9. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Loving it so far Mr S. (Watching in chunks), but 55 published books?! It is fortunate we don't use quills anymore, you'd set the paper on fire.
    And I thought DG was prolific, turns out he must have spent the majority of his time swinging his swords around his office and drinking wine (not a bad life to be fair).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 9:27 PM
  10. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Mulling over buying this one:

SWORD IN THE STORM - VF/F SIGNED UK 1ST INSCRIBED "FOR LIZ" by David Gemmell: Bantam Press, UK Hardcover, 1st Edition, Signed by Author(s) - Books for Collectors

Reading up on flat signed books vs dedicated books suggests there was a time when a book dedicated to someone else was deemed more significant than a simple signature (on the basis of 'more handwritten words from the author the better'); but in recent years that trend has reversed. I think I am just trying to give myself the excuse to buy it, aren't I? Perhaps if I get my name changed to Liz rather than Andy...

11. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Ah cheers mate. Yeah, it’s... a lot of words. Annoyingly, a lot of them are for other people. Like I say in there, If it was all under my name, I’d be a lot better known than I am... hah

Oh, so, if you hit Amazon and look for Stan, Gollancz have done an omnibus of all six Orc novels they are selling for 3.99... Search for Gollancz Collection

The flat signed thing... well, in terms of value the best you can get is a by association copy - so, say, when I die, you can grab my personalized Gemmells, from one author dedicated to another. Right now there’s a few by association Richard Adams books on Abe, like his copy of Alan Garner’s Elidor... those are unique and hence top dollar. Dedicated to normal people, if anything brings the value down, vs a flat signed. Of course I’d much rather dedicate and write a nice long inscription haha

12. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    You'll be pleased to know I have a nice new hardback Glass Town to read. Got it a while back and am looking forward to it, especially after your comment about it replicating things like the sexism indemic at the time it is set. Nothing breaks my immersion more than a period story having very modern sensibilities, UK tv period dramas being the worst offenders. It is a weird case of pretending sexism and racism etc. wasn't even worse then, almost as if displaying it in all its ugly 'glory' would mean the writers get accused of being racist or sexist. Ah... in the age of the Internet and people jumping to conclusions and mob thinking, that is exactly what happens. Sigh.

Ooh, personalised author to author Gemmells, now that is something special. Any chance of any pics here if you have the time? No worries if you'd rather not.

13. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100