David gemmell books/related collectables

Discussion in 'Books & Literature' started by cdavison27086, Jan 8, 2013.

1. uglydog

uglydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    HC Drenai Tales Vol2 Signed by Author
    Well just bumped up my bid from £10 to £36 but somebody already has a higher bid in place and still an hour to go!

2. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,222
    If someone gets that sub £100 they have got a good deal. The larger book means the jacket is prone to creasing and it looks in very good shape from the pics.

Good luck to you!

3. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Lost out by a quid on my highest bid with 2 seconds to go haha oh well

4. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,222
    £80? Nice. I would be happy with that - I paid £90 for mine.

5. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,222
    Unlucky mate!

6. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I’m not worried. I’m not actively collecting the omnibuses, I just like the look and this one was flat signed. I did score myself the near fine signed Morningstar today, so that was much more important for my collection ;)

7. uglydog

uglydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    HC Drenai Tales Vol2 Signed by Author
    Well I didn't get it either but with my meagre budget I really didn't expect to win it but had to have a go. Sorry you missed out Steven.

8. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I paid £85 and £87 for nice signed HB Vol 2 and Vol 3 Drenai Tales (respectively) a couple of years back, so it look like they are going for similar amounts now unless you get lucky.

My Vol 1 HB isn't signed (£37) and I would have rather paid less for unsigned Vol 2 and 3, but the latter two must have had a smaller print run as they are rarer and all are signed to my knowledge (definitely Vol 3 as there are only 1000 HB copies, signed and numbered).

9. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Not Gemmell, for which I apologise, but I can't help but show off this new acquisition that has come signed from the author's own home collection. Maybe one of you is of the generation who had a few Fighting Fantasy game books?
    20180616_211216.jpg 20180616_211314.jpg

10. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Ah Jon’s a good mate, a few years back he turned me into a Warhammer character in one of the game books he was writing.

11. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    He seems a really nice guy. He posted it with a couple of extras too which was a nice surprise. Oddly enough he and I went to the same school back in the day, though I think he was just about to leave for uni while I was starting out so I never met him to my knowledge. Small world.

12. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,222
    £180? I paid for vol 1, £95 for vol 2, £30 for vol 3. I never got them, vol 2 and 3, at the time as I never knew they existed and for vol 1 as I had no hardbacks, I picked up the trade and saved myself a fiver.....doh!

Talking about age, I got vol 3 from loot...pre internet

13. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Yes, I regret only getting into buying Gemmell books in hardback when they came out by the first Troy book; and only then because it was at a signing. Slightly annoying that none of the previous books were bought from new just because I was too tight to pay for the HB version. If I had a time machine...

14. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
  15. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Lovely stuff. And today my mum has flown over and brought a bunch of my old books with her, so I have my original Waylander paperback with the promise of Waylander II in 1993...he was a year early!

16. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I think the website missed this one:

****interview start***

David Gemmell
    Friday 9 May 2003 20.39 EDT
    When my first novel, Legend, was published in 1984, my publishers warned me that there would be few - if any - reviews. "Why?" I asked, innocently. "Fantasy isn't considered literature, dear boy. Elves, dragons, that sort of thing. Never win the Booker."
    Previous cultures would not have understood such a dismissive attitude. Early civilisations used fantasies to inspire their citizens; the first known work of literature, the Epic of Gilgamesh, told of a great king battling men, demons and gods. The ancients knew that man was a dangerous and unpredictable animal whose violence needed to be channelled, and so the elders told stories of heroes who controlled their violent natures for the common good. The ancient Greeks also understood the turmoils that haunt the human soul; the darknesses inspired by greed, jealousy, hatred and fear. So their heroes fought not only human foes, but also spirits and monsters, representing the inner demons we all face.
    Yet nowadays the stigma of fantasy frightens many publishers. JK Rowling's novels are not marketed as fantasy - heavens, no! - but as crossover fiction. Michael Crichton's Timeline, with its time-travel, chivalry and knights: thriller. Philip Pullman's talking bears, angels and alternate universes: imaginative fiction. Terry Pratchett's Discworld series set on the back of a giant turtle... humour.
    Many fantasy novels - Lord of the Rings, for instance, or Lavondyss by Robert Holdstock - are beautifully written. Geoff Ryman's The Child Garden is exquisite and utterly beguiling. Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy is an astonishing piece of multi-faceted storytelling. So quality of writing does not condemn the genre.
    Why then the disdain? Our modern world, though infinitely more complex than that of ancient Greece, is also far more superficial. Where the Greeks offered simple psychological training, we live in an age of style and spin in which perceptions of good and evil slither and shift with the political view of the moment. In such an era, the purity of fantasy, with its emphasis on morality, courage, redemption and sacrifice, is considered simplistic - even frivolous - by those who know how the real world works.
    In that world young men are encouraged only to wear their hair like Beckham - not to hold the bridge with Horatius, or face the Minotaur like Theseus. It is a world painted in shades of grey, where principles are always subject to compromise.
    A fan once wrote to me saying that he had been out walking his dog when he saw two men attacking a woman; he rushed in and they ran away. He had just finished one of my novels and was filled with thoughts of heroism. No shades of grey there. This is the real magic of fantasy fiction: it can feed souls and change lives.
    · Stormrider is published by Black Swan

***interview end***

Not sure where I originally found it or who it is from. Also, I don't know how I could add it to the website as I couldn't find any contact details for the designer. Oh well.

17. uglydog

uglydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just in case someone is looking for this for their collection OxfamOnline shop has this signed (no inscription) HB copy at a reduced price of £19.99

White wolf by David Gemmell. 1st edition signed by author. Published by Bantam Press 2003. Hardback with dust jacket. In very good condition.

I have bought twice from OxfamOnline. Both books were actually better than described, were very well packaged and arrived in 2/3 days.

18. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    That is a good find, thanks for bringing it up. I've got a nice one already but always on the look out for a signed HB Sword in the Storm and Midnight Falcon which seem oddly rarer than all other books in the Bantam Hardback range (since Deathwalker).

19. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    It probably depends what books David toured to promote. I noticed on one of the interviews he said the tour was already done and it was only about four dates. You get far fewer opportunist dealers getting copies signed when events are kept to a minimum. Other book’s he probably toured quite hard. I remember meeting him for Lion, and I think he’d done a dozen gigs already by that time, so theoretically that ought to be an easier find.

20. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    That makes sense, I'm particularly keen on replacing my unsigned Sword in the Storm as it has a mild amount of spine lean that I noticed just recently. I am mindful of what you said before of it infecting other books adjacent to it. Purge the infected!

21. uglydog

uglydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    AndyRC, Don't know how much you want to pay but 5 signed copies of Midnight Falcon on AbeBooks. 4 I think in the hundreds but one at £76

Bantam Press, UK, 1999. Hardcover. Condition: Near Fine. Dust Jacket Condition: Near Fine. 1st Edition. 0593037227. Hardcover, in a near fine Dust Jacket. Not ex. library, not price clipped. Signed by David Gemmel, on the title page, without dedication. 404 pages, just very slightly toned on the page edges. Nice sharp corners, a very clean book, contents appear unread. Probably one of the best signed copies available. Signed by Author(s).

22. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Ah! Caved in and bought it (on the credit card...tomorrow's problem). Thanks for the heads up Ugly Dog.
    I had been looking for one for years in the £40 or less bracket, mainly because I have tracked down all the others in the Bantam Hardback range bar SitStorm and HeroITS at about that or less. Never seen the first two Rigante come close so decided to bite the bullet on this one finally. Sword in the Storm is the last one I am very keen to get now. The unsigned Hero in the Shadows that I have used in such an utterly perfect condition, it is going to be very hard to match in signed form without paying silly money...and Fine/Near Fine matters more than signed to me (heresy I know).

So what do other forum members think, £78.77 for (apparently) Near Fine Signed Midnight Falcon? Am I a fool (well that's true regardless) or was it a fairly typical price to pay?

23. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Just realised my shortening of Sword in the Storm to SitStorm is almost rather unfortunate.

24. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,222
    You don’t have it and it’s a perfect copy, well done

25. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Yep, if you don’t have it, and it’s mint, it’s all win.

26. jimbo1708

jimbo1708

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Yes!!! I have been looking for one of these for over a year now (White Wolf Audio CD)! Glad I don’t have to steal a copy from my library now :D

Still very good condition CDs (not ex-lib) of a few others on eBay at the moment.

Attached Files:

27. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Good find Jimbo, is that your audio cd set complete now?

28. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,222
    You dont need my copy now :)

29. jimbo1708

jimbo1708

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I believe my (physical) audio collection is complete... however I still have quite a few digital ones to acquire from audible when I have funds.

I also came across some digital copies of rather old Drenai Tales 1 audiobooks, complete with Druss the Chaos Warrior which is a short story ~2hours about Skeln Pass.

Anyone know how these were released as audiobooks? i.e. cassette, CD?

30. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    No idea mate.
    The Druss short story is exactly the same as the last 'book' in the 1st Chronicles of Druss the Legend. (You probably knew that though).