David gemmell books/related collectables

Discussion in 'Books & Literature' started by cdavison27086, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,197
    Scurrilous swag snaffler! Superb. :)

2. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Do check. Quarantine them if they do. Seriously its why library eds are so fudgeed up... old battered copies infect younger better copies, forcing them to mis-align on the shelf. One of my mates used to own a second hand bookstore and he'd never buy in a book with spine lean.

Heh, Tenaka may have said something positively Gemmell-like at one point.

3. jimbo1708

jimbo1708

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
  4. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    You notice the bid? Yep... now you know my ebay I'd hahha

5. jimbo1708

jimbo1708

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Apologies Steven, hope you managed to get it. If I’d have known I wouldn’t have made it aware to this competition!

Still looking for HB Ghost King and also a very good PB copy. I keep a look out but if you see anything guys please let me know :)

6. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Just added an updated list of all unpublished DG works to the David Gemmell Fans Facebook page:

David Gemmell Fans public group | Facebook

A fellow fan was kind enough to show me the six pages he had of a manuscript titled Queen (the surname of the 25 year old hitman). Better sentence construction than The Hawk, but still from his old typewriter so likely from 70s or possibly 80s. Whether he finished it, or stopped after the first chapter is unknown.

If anyone wants me to post the list here, let me know.

7. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I'm sure I am due a bit of mockage for my obsession with every slight bit of Gemmell written work, especially from Mr Savile who knows how much a prolific writer writes, then discards. But you have to have one nutter in the place.

8. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,197
    Yes please, dont do facebook.

9. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    '66-'67: The Man From Miami (crime/thriller). Written in his late teens while working as a lorry drivers mate. David Gemmell would later happily remark how terrible it was. I have seen no evidence that it still exists. Source: Interview with David Gemmell – SFFWorld

'67-'68: Four page screen play on the life of Aleister Crowley. Rejected by the BBC. Source: I have seen the original document with his own handwritten corrections.

'68-'69: The Hawk (heroic fantasy). Crime boss Stuart Hawks is sent into the body of a conan-like barbarian on a distant world on the brink of a great war between the barbarian hordes and the last vestigues of a crumbling civilization. Also includes Extracts from the Book of Karnak and Extracts from the Book of Namir as other point of view characters. Several copies of the manuscript exist. Source: One sold recently, pictures uploaded onto this site a few months back.

'69-'70: Devilblade aka Hogun's Adventures in the North. Sequel to 'The Hawk' following the exploits of a character met briefly in the first novel. Possibly never completed or even written as I have seen no evidence of its existance other than mentions in The Hawk and accompanying letter that was sent to the publisher. Source: A copy of the accompanying letter was posted on the Facebook fans site early 2017.

'70-'72 Caswallon (based on Cassivellaunus?) Sold in the Gemmell auction a few years ago. 80 page novelette. Sadly I know nothing more about it. Source: 412: David A Gemmell related items including a unique u

'76 The Siege of Dros Delnoch (early version of Legend). A much shorter book than Legend shown to a friend in 1981 where she suggested the characters would be more interesting displaying their weaknesses as well as their strengths. I have seen no evidence its existence now. Source: Introduction to Legend in Drenai Tales Volume One.

'70s or '80s: Queen. A short story involving a young hitman, set in modern day (at the time of writing) London. Source: Six pages owned by a fan who was kind enough to allow me to see it. It is not known if any further pages exist.

'83-'84: Druss the Legend (aka The Chaos Warrior), later re-written as The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend. First chapter was published in GM Magazine. Rejected by the publisher as Druss came across as too similar to Conan as well as having his early life already recounted in Legend. Source: Introduction to First Chronicles in Drenai Tales Volume 2 and intro to KBTG in DrenaI Tales Vol. One.

'83-'84: King Beyond the Gate (original version) A story of King Arthur with a time travel twist. Possibly re-written as Ghost King? Rejected by publisher who said they only liked the title! Source: Introduction to KBTG Drenai Tales Volume One.

'86: Wolf in Shadow (original version) 60 pages written on the early years of Ulric. Became the novel Deathwalker eventually. Source: Complete Chronicles of Jerusalem Man.

'86 The Lost Crown, a children's novel written with his daughter Kate.
    A fantasy adventure about Luke who wakes in a strange forest to find himself surrounded by wolves. He is rescued by Capricorn, a child warlock, and a conceited owl who tell him he is trapped in the world of Nightmare and can only escape if he performs an act of great bravery.
    Rejected by the publisher on the basis that it needed a 'voice' for children, whatever that means. Lost forever with the loss of the manuscript and corruption of the original disc apparently. Source: Various DG interviews.

'89 Abandoned story or stories set in Roman Britain. Possibly investigating the link with the Earth and spirituality that the Celts had, compared to the Romans who paved over the Earth with stone. Likely to be an early version of the Rigante stories. Source: Audio clips of interview made after release of KoDR.

'93 - '94? Sequel to White Knight Black Swan. Apparently completed, but DG himself chose not to have it published. Source: A friend of DG's who was asked to assess it.

10. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,197
    I always felt this was the wrong title for the book and made far more sense for it to have been the title of Last Sword of Power as Uther was actually through a gateway.

11. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I agree. Also, Wolf in Shadow was one that I gather he was annoyed to have been incorrectly given the name by the publisher and they refused to change it. It was meant to be The Jeruslem Man (which it was, when it was published in America) wheres Wolf in Shadow obviously applied to the young Ulric of the Wolfshead clan.

12. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Would I mock you? Heh... just be glad you aren't trying to piece together something like my career.... I have so many bits of crap, false starts, stories never let out into the light of day... and even now, when I'm probably 'at my best' I've got 50k of a new fantasy movel, 10k discarded from a new crime novel that's a standalone novel I think, an entire Sf novel hidden in the pergatory of license hell and unlikely to ever see the light... and that's just the last couple of years...

13. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Steven, would it be possible to rename or switch the gender of characters etc. to get the sf novel out? Though I guess if you could do it, you would have done it already. Also, don't forget that DG himself had 14 years of rejection letters before he got a single book out.

14. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Yeah the problem is the book was written to support a game that was in development - Hollowpoint - and at the time there was no real idea what the backstory of the game would be, so everything I created became part of the game. Then the umbrella company put the game on hiatus rather than cancelling it, but it's dead, it's never coming back. The problem then becomes that the main company may be giving the game back to the developers who were working on it, but then does the book become part of their property or do I get given it back, etc... so right now (and for the last 2 years) I haven't been able to do squat with it.

And believe me, I started writing when I was 18/19... didn't get the first book out until I was 27...

15. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    DG was 36 I think when Legend came out, so don't be too hard on yourself; It sucks about the Hollow point book though. I guess that is the danger of any novel tied to an IP owned by someone else, they have too much control. Wasn't that why DG never sold the rights to film companies? I am not sure Hollywood could be trusted with his works anyway...maybe perhaps the Hawk Queen duology, as I have never heard of anyone saying goes it is their favourite, so no loss if they arse it up!

16. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Haha no 27 is the magic number... It's a weird thing, but if you look at a lot of the guys who go on to be really successful they all seem to have released their first book when they were 27... so DG is actually quite old for a debut.

Sadly not just control, the have ownership. The way it works is they pay you (sometimes quite nicely) and offer you a decent royalty that will probably double what you take home in the long run... in return they own everything about the book, including the copyright. But if it is never released, then they don't file the copyright claim... and that's where it gets tricky. If they'd just officially cancel the game I'm 99% sure I'd get the book back -- especially as I've been denied about five or six grand in royalties on the back end by it not coming out.

The problem with film and tv is when you sell the rights, that's exactly what you do, you sell the rights and lose the ability to control what is done with your book. You get whatever someone else judges great - and may end up with that awful Dungeons and Dragons movie with Jeremy Irons... rather than Lord of the Rings. So, you try to protect the IP until you find someone who shares your vision. It may never happen. With DG, the experiences with White Knight, Black Swan were so negative as far as I can tell, they stopped the book being rereleased under his name, etc until the rights finally reverted a couple of years ago, so I'd imagine he was burned. And I can't see the estate thinking oh right, let's cash in.

17. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Interesting insight to the industry Steven. I can see why DG gave up on the non fantasy after that experience, and also it probably explains his 'by the numbers Gemmell' Hawk Queen duology just after, coupled with the interview you did with him about that time where he came across a bit jaded and just doing it for the holidays. Luckily, the change to a new publisher revitalised him in '95/'96 and we got over the next few years what I think was some of his best work.

18. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    May just have found the holy grail for old edition collectors... a fine book dealer who doesn't list 95% of his stock online... who just happened to mention he has, in stock, signed Fine copies, of all of the old hcs...

19. jimbo1708

jimbo1708

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    If they have a copy of Ghost King please send them my way! Cannot find one anywhere. Not bothered about signed and not overly fussed about condition! Cant find a copy anywhere and its the last one I need (except the Drenai Tales HC series and HC Graphic Novel)

20. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Funnily enough, the first thing I told Mike, the dealer, is that I'm part of a community here and I know one guy who is looking for Ghost King... he's going to give me a list of what he's got over the weekend.

21. jimbo1708

jimbo1708

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Marry me :)

22. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I would be quite interested in a 1st/1st Last Sword of Power, if it is in good condition Steven. I think we all await with baited breath as to what he has. (Nothing interesting has come up on eBay in AGES.)

23. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I'll let you all know... he claims these old ones are signed and fine condition, so I'm guessing the price will be high.

Now for something completely different... I've heard that the first draft of a Jon Shannow trilogy film script has been completed... and is a go...

24. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Seriously?! Now that is interesting news. Good choice of book to be made into a film too, as there would need to be less world building time spent compared to the Drenai books. Last Guardian is one of my favourites too. It may never get off the ground though if it is only coming out of 1st draft script phase...must temper hope.

25. StevenSavile

StevenSavile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Well, the scriptwriter is doing it for a production company. And there's a final platform in mind, so I think there's reason to be hopeful. I'm really conflicted as I know David didn't want movies of the books... but yeah, seems the estate sold the rights and things are moving forward, so it's worth keeping an ear to the ground. I'm going to check in with A few friends to see if more is known... but this is fairly big news for DG fans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  26. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Wasn't the main reason he kept turning down film offers is that he would lose the rights to his own characters? I'm up for it, as it may revitalise interest in his books when they might be otherwise in danger of becoming more obscure. (Might even raise chances of other unpublished works coming to light)
    Definitely big news though.

27. jimbo1708

jimbo1708

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Wow big news indeed. Not going to lie I would much prefer an early Drenai or later Rigante storyline being made into a production but its a start :)

The 'final platform' sounds mysterious... hopefully amazon prime or netlfix: they have been doing some really good original series' lately. When you know more Steven / allowed to please let us know! Something for you to definitely share on the facebook group once you are in a position to be able to :D

28. jimbo1708

jimbo1708

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Please everything that is holy let this be genuine and in decent condition!

Attached Files:

29. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    It is unlikely Jimbo, but worth a punt. Imagine the glory if it turns up HB. Maybe it will never turn up, then you can bask in the expectant delight FOREVER!

30. jimbo1708

jimbo1708

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    If it does turn up and is fine I have the unfortunate decision whether to sell on to someone same price i bought at or make profit on it :S I already have a copy I am happy with and was given as a present so dont know how much was paid for it!!