David gemmell books/related collectables

Discussion in 'Books & Literature' started by cdavison27086, Jan 8, 2013.

1. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Finally got to a PC to upload my collection...I guess I've still got some catching up to do!Only Lord of the silver bow is signed sadly, but I would rather pay good money for the first three unsigned in HB than the rest as signed. 20140916_211129.jpg 20140916_211137.jpg 20140916_211142.jpg 20140916_211149.jpg

Attached Files:

2. El Pato Loco

El Pato Loco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    meant to say re. your earlier query, as far as I'm aware only Legend graphic novel was published in HB in the UK although I have seen a number of copies of Shannow from book dealers in Canada advertised as HB so I don't know if there was a Canadian publication of it n HB. I've sent emails to a number of dealers advertising HB copies and asked them to clarify but not a single response from any of them... so I'm assuming not.

3. cdavison27086

cdavison27086

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I'll swap my legend copy for it that's the only hardback I don't have

4. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,191
    While your spare Legend is almost certainly better than my Legend Hardback, King was the only hardback I didnt have as well, thats what I meant by completes my collection :)

5. El Pato Loco

El Pato Loco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Finally got around to taking a pic of the bookcase which desperately needs sorting out Top shelf are all signed books though not all Gemmell works, they start from the padded envelope (which contains my HB 1st ed. copy of Legend and rarely sees the light of day) until I get a proper book storage box for it. Padded envelope on the bottom shelf is my other copy of WKBS (with the newly acquired damage courtesy of the post office... breaks my heart every time I look at it.

This is the majority but not quite all of them. The magazines aren't in there and I still can't find the missing titles that I know I have somewhere. On the down side I got a message from a book dealer today saying my HB 1st ed copy of Lion of M'don had been returned to sender so badly damaged they couldn't send it out again. They're giving me a refund at least but it still sucks.

Case1.jpg

6. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,191
    US Stormrider and Swords of Night and Day? Can you take a pic of the cover of each of those for me please?

7. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Great collection there El Pato! Where's the order though...its a big crazy Gemmell jumble ha ha! Its a damn shame about your damaged WKBS, you only end up seeing the damage and not the book itself. My copy of Wolf in Shadow had ancient sellotape sticking to the original boards which left a sticky residue on removal. Like a complete chump I tried to scrub it away using a baby wipe only to make it worse. Now I can't pick it up without feeling annoyed. At least yours wasn't your own fault heh!
    On a lighter note I just received a nice copy of the GM magazine with the short story. Bought for £17 +UK p&p. Good deal? I had to buy it as part of a lot of 17 GM magazines though. Not sure what to do with them, though one does have a picture of DG and his Snaga having just received it from Raven armoury.

8. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Recently discovered my HB Morningstar has had a page torn out of it. Honestly who does that?! Bought a 1st edition trade paperback to sacrifice for £2.50 and was relieved to find the pages are the same size and the text at the top of the page matches up. It felt very wrong to butcher that decent paperback though, I've displeased The Source maybe?

9. El Pato Loco

El Pato Loco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yes matey it is a jumble. There used to be some kind of order, I keep all the signed ones in their own order hence a mix of HB and PB. Should I keep my non-signed 1st ed. Waylander along side my 1st ed signed Legend? After all they're part of the same "series" if you like going by the artwork. Then I got into the "Do I keep the BCA 1st editions next to the original 1st ed's or do I keep all the BCA's separate?" Then there's reprints, publishers, editions not to mention the foreign language titles... "Do I keep all the copies of Legend together or all the French language titles together?" ;)

Aside from that my dedicated book cabinet is now to small to hold all my Gemmell titles even if I pull all my non-Gemmell signed books out (which would be doing a disservice to Iain Banks ;) )

anyway... for Theydon.

For some reason I have two copies of SR, one signed which seems rather rare for a US publication. And I'm not sure if you can see it too clearly in pic SR3 but the binding is very odd. Both titles are near enough in perfect, almost new condition but the pages are ragged along the open edge and all the pages are different sizes. It leaves a very strange effect. I have no idea if it was a deliberate thing or just the way the US publishers release HB books but it does seem odd.

SR1(USA).jpg SR2(USA).jpg SR3(USA).jpg TSONAD1(USA).jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  10. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,191
    I have seen a couple of US books that have that weird binding - rough paper and not flush....someone somewhere probably thought it was very arty, and on the right book would blend in. It looks untidy to me though and I dont know the reasoning for it.

11. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,191
    :)

I would not rest books on top either - can damage the dustjackets. You are better off stacking those on top of each other flat.

12. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Some difficult decisions there El Pato. If it were me, I would have a Masterpiece collection at the top, i. e. the current best you have of each book. Then have BCA editions, foreign language and spares/reprints in their own sections below...but that's just me Ha ha!

13. El Pato Loco

El Pato Loco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    yeah Theydon, they were only stacked like that so I could fit them in the picture. By the way there's a US 1st ed HB copy of Stormrider on Abe for £6 +£12 postage if anyone is interested

14. El Pato Loco

El Pato Loco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Latest additions to the collection... Wolf in Shadow suddenly popped up on Ebay after being listed on Abe for a long time. It is in beautiful condition and although I paid more than I really wanted to for it I just couldn't pass it up. Lion of Macedon is a first ed. first print from 1990. I've seen lots of 2nd print editions from 1991 up for sale but this is the only 1990 edition I've seen for sale anywhere. Again, I may have paid over the top for it but given how rare a 1990 copy seems to be I thought "what the hell!... it could be a long time before I see another one.

Sadly this latest expense has completely wiped out the reserves for some time to come so unless something exceptional comes onto the market I think it will be a goodly while before anything significant makes it's way onto my bookshelf.

LoM1.jpg WiS1.jpg

15. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,191
    That wolf looks lovely, more details please!

16. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Some good finds there. There definitely seems quite a price difference between the two Lion versions. I would also be very interested to learn what they cost you. ..if you don't mind!

17. El Pato Loco

El Pato Loco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Don't mind sharing that info at all matey, Wolf set me back £150. It's been listed on Abe for quite a while at £200 which I'd pretty much put out of my budget range, then it suddenly popped up on eBay with a starting bid price of £100 or a 'buy-it-now' at £150 and it had 4 watchers on it pretty much straight away (I was wondering if any of them were you guys ;) ) It seemed a bargain at £100 but then I got nervous... then I got a bit drunk... then I asked the wife (who was also half a bottle of wine the right side of merry) and the boss said "oh just buy it!"... so I did. (Timing... it's all about the timing ;) )

The 1990 1st print copy of Lion set me back £85. The dealer had it in his shop on the shelf at £150 and I couldn't get him to budge below £85 but he did throw in free postage ;)

I would love to find out how many copies were in that initial 1990 print run but I guess there's no way of finding out. If anyone does have a way of finding out, please tell me ;) I figure they either sold out incredibly quickly or it really was a very limited run as the second print in 1991 came out within months... probably to help boost sales of the sequel which was also released in 1991.

Although I figure if there were significant numbers of the 1990 run then there would be more of them appearing for sale. It's not like LoM is a 'rare' book in itself.

Anyway, back to Wolf. A few more pictures. It really is in remarkably good condition. some slight curling on the edges of the dust jacket but the pages are still white. No creased edges or curled corners. In fact when I eased it open to photograph the copyright page it felt incredibly stiff as if it had never been opened. I suspect it may have been read only once, if at all, and then spent the rest of it's life on a shelf.

WiS1.jpg WiS2.jpg WiS3.jpg WiS4.jpg WiS5.jpg WiS6.jpg

18. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    The Wolf in Shadow is in lovely condition. I missed it coming up myself and I personally think what you paid wasn't excessive. I have my eye on the last sword of power currently on sale...might have to change my name to Stewart if I go for it tho! Anyone else here interested though?

19. El Pato Loco

El Pato Loco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Nope.. I only collect ones without personalised dedications.. even from the maestro himself ;) ... why would someone do that to a book? any book?

in other news... WKBS on US eBay at £170... only 2 hours and 45 minutes left as I post this though... can't really justify having a third copy...

White Knight Black Swan RARE David Gemmell | eBay

Hopefully at the end of the month I'll have some images of some Russian language editions to put up too.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  20. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Yeah I bottled it and didn't bid. I decided my money was better spent filling more serious gaps in the collection. Namely the first three I only have in 1st ed. paperback and a couple that have been rebound.

21. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    White Knight..already spent too much on my one copy. Not sure my wife would be too happy if she saw a second one in the house ha ha.
    On other news, I noted the Random House website has a listing and description of Stella Gemmell's The City follow up called The Immortal Throne. Due later in 2015.

22. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,191
    A beautiful copy of Wolf, and I am ultra jealous. I was one of those watchers, but dont think I knew how good a copy it was - but I have a very good Wolf Library copy myself, so delayed on it.

Last Sword of Power is one of the books that I have that is the worst condition of my collection currently, so I needed a better copy, and this was it. This also was up on Abebooks for £200 at one point.

No one bid against me and I was very happy (and so was my bank balance) :) There will be pics when it arrives obviously.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  23. El Pato Loco

El Pato Loco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I see there is 1 bid on WKBS ;) ... ahh so you went for the Last Sword on Ebay? I must admit even for an ex-library copy it did look to be in very good condition...

I need to save up for a couple of months and get that King Beyond that's on Abe... unless of course I stumble across one before then ;)

24. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,191
    Last Sword is not ex Library.....

25. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I am starting to think I missed out on a bit of bargain there heh heh. Too busy sorting out my kiddies to keep my eye on the ball.I hate auctions that end b4 their bed time!
    Good win Theydon, though it sounds like you have been on the case for a decent copy at a sensible price for a lot longer than me! Looking forward to pics.

My next target is a not totally crap copy of Waylander. Sadly one of the rarest yes? I hope that King Beyond sticks around long enough for the 'boss' to release more funds for El Pato. I promise to stay clear of that one. (I'm not a massive fan of the rather dark art work so I can hold out for now)

26. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,191
    ......just 7 years mate. I bought my 'poor' version of LSoP back in 2007......

27. AndyRC

AndyRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Looks like there are three of those on Abe for under £300, all in seemingly decent condition. Are they coming down in price these days then?

That is steely patience!

By the way, has any here tried one of the many listing that say hardcover for a rare book at a couple of quid only? E.g. one of the several listings for Ghost King hardback on Abebooks. They even state Random House rather than orbit which is usually the give away of it not actually being HB.

28. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,191
    Just in case anyone wants to waste some time and has already read most of the internet already, I have made some large updates to my Gemmell pages - adding some more pictures etc and more random crappy thoughts from a man with little money but a serious Gemmell addiction.

Most of this you would have already seen, but its a bit more condensed.

Chuddleys Books

29. El Pato Loco

El Pato Loco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Duh!... I was looking at Ghost King when I wrote that... not Last Sword... I really am starting to have a lot of 'senior moments' these days ;)

I'm almost tempted by GK as it's bugging me that it's notable by it's absence from my shelf but having just paid the same for a nigh on perfect copy of Wolf I'm not convinced it's worth the £150 as an ex-library copy... not to me at any rate....

I see the bidding has started on the Legends tribute book already too... will be interesting to see what that goes for... last one that sold at £187 I think it was but since then there's been one up as a "buy it now" for £170 that's been relisted several times with no apparent interest although they rejected my offer ;) ... I wonder who's bidding on it...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  30. El Pato Loco

El Pato Loco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I enjoy your web page matey... it was one of the things that inspired me to take up collecting Gemmell again :)

I wish I had the inclination and skill set to do something similar...