Dave's Garage Conversion

Davidjake07

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All ,
Been lurking on here now for a few years and got some great info and idea's on all things relating to home cinema so i thought it was time i shared my build :)

Background info:
Been into home cinema now for years now and had a set up in one of my bedrooms for a few years but always had the same problem i was really restricted to when i could use my room due to the sound transfer to the rest of the whole house , you could here it everywhere and as soon as Mrs DavidJake went to bed then forget it !!!!!

So around FEB 2015 i decided that a garage conversion was in order and duly got some builders around to quote on the job , around the same time i made some general enquiries to the council about building regs and the sort , only to be told that i needed planning permission to convert and make my garage into living space, this was due to parking restrictions they count a garage as a parking space even though my garage has never seen a car in its life and would doubt could even get one in there , so after months of wrangling with the council permission was granted and work finally started August 2015

Last edited:
P1020999.JPG

^^^^^
So here is a ground floor plan with garage before conversion

P1030001.JPG

Above is a plan for proposed work

Garage approx 5.2m x 2.5m and is to be split into two sections one being the main home cinema the other to be a small utility room which will house my equipment rack with all my stuff and a washer and freezer
so with that in place i will be looking at :-

Cinema room 3.7m x 2.3 finished
Utility Room 1.5m x 2.3 approx

Not a great deal of space to work with i know but you have to work with what available space you have

The first thing i had done was get the sparky in to move consumer unit from its original location my proposed cinema room into what would be the new utility room

Didn't take loads of photos of build but what i have will post on here

ENJOY !!!

Last edited:
P1020925.JPG

new consumer unit fitted and moved next to boiler stud wall gone up 125mm thick to make room for inwall speakers
P1020925.JPG

looking from utility into cinema room with metal frame stud wall also up and window fitted
walls to be filled with 100mm rock wool insulation and double plasterboard with sound block

P1020931.JPG

false ceiling put in with resilient bars to be fitted and filled with 100mm rock wool and also double sound bloc plasterboard , also pic shows window fitted and door opening from hallway , glass was specced to be a double glazed unit with 4mm and 6mm panes for sound insulation the idea is the different thickness of glass cancels out the noise and helps with sound insulation

Attachments

• P1020924.JPG
    P1020924.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 219
Last edited:
P1020928.JPG

There was a really awkward supporting steel beam that ran the full length of the garage this would ultimately dictate the width of the room as nothing could be done about this !!

P1020932.JPG

View from cinema room showing stud wall and locations of inwall speakers , the floor height was kept lower than the rest of the house so there is a step down into the cinema room , this was done to keep ceiling height for the atoms speakers

After room shell finished a plinth would be built housing lighting and atoms speakers , after all the effort of making the room as soundproof as possible the last thing i wanted to do was start cutting holes in ceiling

I have chosen 6 x philips Hue gu10 spot lights for lighting as these can be controlled by my iPad with different scenes with roomie remote , for example when when a movie is paused it can send a signal for my lights to turn on or select a certain scene , really clever and simple to set up

hue_gu10_bulb_live_3.jpg

Last edited:
Anyway onto the good stuff since starting planning my room i knew from the beginning that i wanted the speakers to go in the correct location behind the screen and it would be a 5.1.2 Atmos setup due to room size so with that in mind went over to Normanton and spoke to Allan @ Ideal Av who duly ordered me a Seymour Centre Stage XD screen 2:35:1 aspect 2 meters wide and some MK Sound IW150's + IW85's for atoms duties ( although these would not be used yet until i have the funds for a new atoms processor)

Existing equipment that is to be used :-

TOSHIBA HD DVD (now gone)
Acer Revo PC Running OPENELEC KODI
Panasonic Blu Ray Player
QNAP NAS with 4 x 3TB WD Red Drives
Onkyo 5509 Processor
Bryston 9BSST Amplifier
JVC x3 Projector
Darbee Video Processor
MK sound SS150 Surround Speakers
MK sound MX350 Subwoofer
IPAD with Roomie Remote

Also orded a new rack to house all this stuff

back of rack with everything wired up , equipment will be controlled by iPad over IP with Roomie Remote

P1020967.JPG

Front of rack in new utility room

P1020968.JPG

Last edited:
P1030004.JPG

Rubber seal fitted into door frame to help with sound proofing , when door is closed you can hear and feel a rush of air as door is sealed tight when closed , although the door is always going to be the weak point when trying to sound proof a room

P1030003.JPG

new door fitted FD30 finished in oak this thing weighs in excess of 50KG and helps a lot with sound transfer along with rubber seals fitted all around frame

Last edited:
Speakers fitted into wall ready for screen to go up , had extra plug point fitted and ran another sub cable into corner of room for an extra sub just in case :)

P1020974.JPG

Last edited:
Finished room Pics !!!
Hope You enjoy them its been a hard long slog but i am really happy with finished room and to my ears sounds great , room always looks smaller in pics than it actually is although not massive its amazing what can be done with even a relatively small space and feels a good size when your sat down ready to watch a film , will be happy to answer any questions regarding build and set up

cheers

P1020977.JPG
P1030006.JPG
P1030022.JPG
P1030011.JPG
P1030012.JPG
P1030013.JPG
P1030014.JPG
P1030015.JPG
P1030016.JPG

Attachments

• P1020977.JPG
    P1020977.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Hue Lighting looks GREAT loads of Color Combo's

P1030016.JPG
P1030017.JPG
P1030018.JPG
P1030005.JPG

Solid aluminium Custom Made Blind from ORDERBLINDS.CO.UK for TOTAL Blackout

Last edited:
Very nice well done

Cheers Thanks for comments !!!

Looks very good, and certainly helping me with my thoughts and plans.
really like the solid blind too.

Excellent job mate, looks brilliant!!!! [emoji106]

Love it. Really tidy setup. I always have speaker envy with the MKs. :)

Nice one. I am sitting in a room about the same size. Your project has revived my hopes of converting it. Could you get two sofas in there, one on a raised floor?

Cheers for comments guys !!

The blind is custom made you have to supply all measurements top middle and bottom and it comes in three sections top part contains blind and two side rails (every thing is included to fit) with tracks for the blind to run up and down , its manual operation you tilt the bottom rail away from you which releases mechanism and can be moved up and down as soon as you let go it locks blind in that position , it really is a nice piece of engineering and is really well made , feels solid and has a rubber seal on bottom to stop light getting in

Nice one. I am sitting in a room about the same size. Your project has revived my hopes of converting it. Could you get two sofas in there, one on a raised floor?

i think you would struggle to get another row in here TBH the seating distance is about 3m from screen which is just about right , i think if you where to put in another row you would prob be about 1 - 1.5m from screen far too close

Here u go !!

P1030033.JPG

P1030034.JPG

Will Try and Get some more photo's up later on

Pic of Roomie Remote on iPad with two way control for all my components including lighting and heating a really nice piece of software easy to set up and works well

P1030029.JPG

Last edited:
Another Pic of Blind Showing Side Rails
P1030038.JPG

Kalamos Sofa From DFS comfortable seating for Three :)

P1030037.JPG

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom