1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave vs AVR300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by vistisen, Dec 8, 2004.

1. vistisen

vistisen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am the happy owner of an Bi-amped FMJA22 and CD23T based system. But I want to have suround sound when seeing films on DVD. I am not interested in SACD,DVD-A or 7.1 channels.

Simple 5.1 Dolby and DTS is what I want. So for just this one need, how difference is there in terms of Sound quality between buying A DAVE module to my A22 and buying an AVR300?

2. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    More processing modes on the AV300. You could keep the A22 for your main stereo and run it in processor mode when using the AV300 for DVD.

3. vistisen

vistisen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

But I don't want more modes, just 5.1. Is there a difference there?

4. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Vistisen

I don't think the DAVE module is available anymore from Arcam. You would have to find a second hand module. (These are factory fitted not just plug in.)

The DAVE module does not contain extra amplification. You would need three channels of amplification for the rears and centre. This would normally be provided by a P25/3 which has three channels.

The DAVE is a good product but is very limited in it's bass management. You can not change the cross-over frequency or anything like that.

Hope that helps.

Dave Steele (Alpha 10/DAVE Alpha 10P3 owner)

5. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DAVE boards are not av anyone as confirmed by Arcam. They don't even have boards for repairs! The A22 and A32 are really aimed at sacd/dvd audio not tv surround or dvd. Separate processors is a daft approach and an integrated solution is a much better approach. Having said the surround sound for music is infinitely superior to an av receiver.

6. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can make the 300 do more with 5.1 material. You can also have a 5.1 effect from 2 channel source material. It can be set to Pro logic II with either a movie or music mode also DTS to work in the same way. Should you decide to add more channels then they are sitting there waiting. I've had new biamped speakers for my front three channel and kept my old Bose AM15 to run as the four rears. Seems to work OK. As they say get a demo and see what you think.