1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAV-S800 - newbie question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gnelmes, Feb 14, 2002.

1. gnelmes

gnelmes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help! I have just bought a Sony DAV-S800 kit and have set it up according to instructions. It looks impressive and plays CDs impressively too with plenty of spare volume. Using the inputs there is equally plenty of spare volume. However the DVD sound is unimpressive. It has to be played near maximum volume for a cinema effect. I have tried this on several DVDs with the same outcome. Is this normal on Dolby digital, have I done something wrong, or is it likely to be a faulty unit. Apologies for any inexperienced remarks - put it down to being a beginner.

Graham

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't worry, this is perfectly normal.

Film soundtracks are so much more dynamic than CD's and the like. The range has to go from quiet speech and ambience to loud explosions. It's not actually the DVD that's too quiet, it's everything else that's too loud.

3. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Try tinkering with the decible levels for the speakers, this can be accessed through the dvd setup or amp menu, my dad has the s500 and i cant remember which menu i went through to set it up.

Play around with the db levels, they dont all have to be the same valuefor each speaker, untill you are satisfied, the default setting is zero and i suspect that is possibly still the case in your situation.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Graham,

For future reference you will note that the two answers that you received here were two more than you received on the home-cinema newsgroup so you know where to come in future.

It is worth noting that most manufacturers are very economical with the truth when quoting power specs of multi channel amplifiers.

The DAV 800 is quoted by Sony at 50 watts per channel but what they don't tell you is that 50 watts is only available with two channels driven (ie stereo) and it will drop to under half if all channels are driven simultaneously.

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which coupled with the increased dynamic range of 5.1 audio, would result in significantly lower output than prologic.

6. somebugger

somebugger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As most of you will know I have a DAVS 500 which I guess is v. similar, volume difference between CD & DVD is not that great so I'm thinking you may have a dodgy unit. For reference I seldom need to go past 14 on the volume, room size 10 x 18 foot.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What an unusual way to start a post

8. somebugger

somebugger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: