DAV-S550 Dead Centre Channel

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by sabre2, Oct 11, 2004.

1. sabre2

sabre2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I wonder if anyone has experienced a problem like this - system's been working fine, but now occasionally will refuse to play the centre channel on certain DVDs. Where there's DTS and Dolby, neither work. I discovered by accident that selecting a different language and then going back to English can revive it. The speaker itself (and its wire) are fine, as can be proved quite simply. I bought the DAV-S550 from Richers Sounds about 366 days ago...

Am I on my own? Does anyone mend these things?

Cheers
    John

2. Stevo555

Stevo555
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are not alone...

I have a DAVS-800 with a very similar problem, except it's the front-left channel that gives up the ghost after the player having been switched on for 10 minutes or so. Switching off / on helps, but it always dies again soon afterwards. This happens on all DVDs, regardless of the sound option selected (5.1, DTS, stereo etc).

I think the DAVS-800 and the DAVS-550 have the same base unit, just different speakers (I could be wrong here - it's a while since I bought mine). The player worked perfectly for two years but started acting up a couple of weeks ago. My father in law has exactly the same problem with his DAVS-800. He lives in Spain and had a bit of a nightmare trying to get it fixed at his local dealer. Every time it would be returned with them saying "No fault found". He gave up in the end and bought a new player, which doesn't bode well for us...

I've not made any enquiries about getting mine fixed yet, but I think a call to a Sony centre will be my first port of call. No doubt it will cost a fortune to get fixed though :(

Good luck with yours - keep me posted if you get anywhere with it...

3. Stevo555

Stevo555
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been doing a bit more research into this problem. The dead channel issue seems to feature a lot on other forums, for various Sony "all-in-ones" e.g. DAV S800, DAV S500 etc. Check out the first review of the DAVS500 at the following site: http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews1222.html.

This suggests that tracing the speaker connection onto the circuit board and re-soldering might be the answer...

4. sabre2

sabre2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm. My googling hasn't been as effective as yours; I couldn't find any other references. I *thought* it was only DVDs that were affected (which would rule out it being a poor solder joint so near to the speaker), but I'll test that next time it goes wrong.

Thanks for the research! Are you going to resolder yours? If so, take a couple of photos of the circuit board for me...

John