1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAV S-800 c-81 error?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Whistler, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Whistler

Whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi group can anybody help i have a DAV S-800 system and after trying to play a rental DVD it has come up on the front screen with "C81" now i can't do bugger all with it not even get the door open.:mad: & :confused:

Anybody had similar or can help?
    cheers whistler

2. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My guess would be disk jammed in the tray, you may need to remove the lid and manually take it out. Bear in mind this is only my best guess!

Andy.

3. Whistler

Whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy i have managed to get the disc out now i have spoken to sony uk and suprise suprise they don't know what the error code is either.they gave me an engineers number who also had no idea apart from "bring it down for a quote".the system is 2 years and 3 months old now and at just under £700 at the time there must be a lesson to be learnt :censored:

4. julesjohn

julesjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Whistler
    Can i ask how you actually resolved this and what work was involved to fix it? I have the same system and same problem, and Blockbuster want their DVD rental back, but cant get the disc out the player. The player is also outside warranty. Any help would be appreciated.

5. 3hilton

3hilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jules, I too now have this problem how did you resolve yours? Many thanks

6. Whistler

Whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi just to let you know how i resolved the C81 error on mine............i sold it on e-bay (as faulty) for £30 because it's a fault on the Mpeg board which they quoted £175 to fix sony not intrested because it was out of warranty by 3 months so that's the last sony gear i'll be buying.I went to Richer sounds and bought a JVC control centre (£199)which hooked up to the sony speakers but i had to buy an active sub light years better than the sony unit.

7. sjool01

sjool01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. lodx

lodx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had problems with playing discs on my sony home theatre.They are always freezing,error messages etc.
    Their players are very choosy when playing dvds,the tiniest mark will upset the player,so when it comes to rental dvds ,you haven't got a hope.
    Sony are overated.Stick to playstations Sony.
    (I had a digital camera of theirs and that went t**ts up as well.) :thumbsdow
    I am now binning it and buying a Panasonic.

9. sony_tv

sony_tv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree.
    my dav-s800 does not play any rental dvd's. i've tried to clean the player, tried to clean the rental dvd's and still no luck. all i want to do is to give my dav-s800 away. just one problem: nobody wants it. not even my friends!!!
    even my sony tv has problems. the color is fading and it will cost me a fortune to get fixed. may as well buy a new tv also.

guess what? my new tv and home theater system will definitely not be a sony!
    never again....

sony is over priced and does not last. perhaps they should consider putting that on the label. :thumbsup: