1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dav-s 300/500/800 owners

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by simon1, Feb 14, 2002.

1. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am considering one of these systems for my 32FX65 tv.

Despite probably not being the best option in terms of sound quality, I want to be able to use the setup as follows:

Don't want to use any of the supplied satelite speakers. Instead, want to feed the 5.1 from the Dav:

'Front L+R' via tv's internal speakers

'Phantom option' - to mix centre channel in with front would be nice. Don't want to use seperate centre speaker.

'Surround L+R' amplified to Mission surrounds.

'Sub' via the supplied unit.

Is there a 'setup menu' that will allow you to specify which channels you do/do not want amplified, so that I could adjust the Dav to suit these requirements.

Thanks

2. bumper31

bumper31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Why?:confused:

As for the rest I'll go and get my manual.......

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So really you are after 4.1 sound. Stereo through the TV with the two rear channels. Am going to be very blunt and honest with my opinion here - that will be crap. You'll have spent quite a lot of money for nothing at all. Can't really say much more than that.

4. bumper31

bumper31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Just to be helpful, in my manual it only states that you can tell it if the centre/rear/subwoofer exists or not. I assume that if you tell it the centre doesn't exist it won't amplify it and mix it with the front channels.

My 800 doesn't have a phantom mode per se, but it does have various DSPs, that emulate different speaker configurations.

But with the risk of repeating myself WHY?

I know the sony speakers of these all in ones are seriously frowned upon in these circles but they would still be infinitely better than TV speakers!:eek:

5. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for the replies.

I used to have an Hitachi tv with built in DD, and was happy with the sound from that.

Not keen on having the Sony front speakers either side of the tv, would be more than happy running the sound through the tv's internal spkrs. In any case, can't see how the small satelite spkrs can be significantly better than the tv ones. The sub and the amplification for rears is all I require.

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The front left and right speakers need to be much further apart to give the best effect, not just either side of the TV. In the same way TV speakers are too close together for a decent stereo sound and the two signals merge. TV speakers are genuinely rubbish and even the satellite speakers of a DAV are much better.

There is really no point in having digital surround sound in this way, you'd be wasting your money. You need seperate front left and right and centre speakers.

It's not possible to do anyway.

7. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I understand and agree with what you are saying, but I/we need to balance the sound quality with the shape and appearance of our lounge. I used to scoff at folks buying virtual dolby sets, but each to his own. In some cases, having 5 or 6 speakers and an amp in addition to sat, tv, dvd and vcr is just too much for one room.

If the Dav all in one sounds anywhere near as good as my previous Hitachi tv, then I will be very happy indeed.

At the least, I will be receiving Stereo surround sound. This is much better than ProLogic or plain stereo.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simon1,

I have the 500 in a small lounge (10x13ft), sounds amazing, plus I can easily hide the sat speakers when I am not using it! The sub is hidden at the side of the tv in a corner. I have even convinced my wife it's all good!!

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Simon,

The DAV range is the modern equivalent of the old pro logic TV and the sound output will be of a roughly similar quality.

I don't know your TV set but unless it is a Dolby Digital set with a set of pre outs for the rear speakers I don't see how your idea can work.

I know that you don't want any more speakers but have a look at the Yamaha HTIB 40 which is an excellent amp with five tiny speakers and a sub that can be hidden away.

It is not as pretty as a DAV but will outperform any of them significantly.

Only other alternative is to buy a DD television.

10. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Again, whilst I appreciate that other systems can and will be better than the all in ones, I still find I like the style and simplicity of these.

To say that these systems are the modern equivelent of ProLogic tvs is ludicrous.

I had previously owned a Technics ProLogic amp with 5 proper spkrs and passive sub (5x60w rms) and a tv with built in Dolby Digital (5x 15w rms + 25w sub). The tv sounded far superior to the seperates.

These all in ones are more powerful than the tvs available with built in Dolby Digital, so I see no reason why I will be anything less than satisfied with a Dav.

11. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I totally agree with the last remark.

Another example is those car stereo's , whether it be Sony, Pionner or whoever, they bost 50x4 watts per channel. Buy the cheapest amplifier at half the power and you'll see the onboard amps on these car stereo's are just a gimmick !!!!

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Simon,

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

You say that "These all in ones are more powerful than the tvs available with built in Dolby Digital, so I see no reason why I will be anything less than satisfied with a Dav".

You started off by saying that you only wanted the DAV to drive the rear speakers as you wished to use the speakers in the TV for left and right with no centre in use so effectively you wish to use the power of the TV and not the DAV.

I re-iterate, what you wish to do will not work and you either have to use the TV or an all in one to produce the sound as you can't mix and match which in my book is enough reason to be less than satisfied.

I won't comment on my previous quote being ludicrous as your rejoinder just confirmed what I said, namely that a good television is better than poorly designed seperates.