DAV 800 Speaker Hiss

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by POOKY, Apr 3, 2003.

1. POOKY

POOKY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone had a problem with a DAV 800 and speaker hiss. I have had the DAV for 18 months and the Hiss from all speakers
    is getting worse driving me mad . It is most noticable when the volume is very low regardless of the source . Anyone got a solution or is my unit faulty?

2. AndersR

AndersR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're not the only one whose upset about this.
    I have got the same problem with my dav 500 especially as I use it for music. As soon as the cd or dvd starts spinning the hiss begins. It's also present when the video1 and video2 input is selected - even without playing anything. I bought my unit at RS. I have been listening carefully at two other davs in a store and they both seemed to have the same noise.
    My experience is that after some months you get used to the noise, and perhaps you turn up the volume a little bit to avoid it.
    I thought about complaining to sony but I am not sure it's worth it, considering that the dav is relatively cheap and so you can't expect everything.
    What I don't understand is that in all the reviews I have read, I never heard about any complaints. This seems very wierd since the hiss was the first thing i noticed when I turned it on for the 1. time. I will never forgive WHF for giving the dav the full five stars, If they simply ignored this issue.
    If you look at the new version (the dav 550 and 880) you will notice that the power chord (and therefore the noisy powersupply) is placed as far away as possible from the speaker outputs, and also that the speaker cable has got some small ferrit-metal rings around them to reduce noise.
    All these changes indicate that sony engineers were aware of the problem and dicided to do something about it in the new design- nevertheless you can still hear the hiss from the new models but maybe it is not as dominant.
    Actually I have started two threads to get an answer to the exact same question as yours - buy nobody replied.

By the way, did you say that the noise suddenly began? - and how much worse is it getting?

Actually I borrowed a expensive multimeter from one of my friends, who is studying electrical engineering, and I meassured the voltage at the end of the cables to be about 230mV (rms) on average. This is really high copmpared with my friends small sony stereo! I think the measurement was done in the video mode, or CD mode on the backspeakers. It could be interresting If you were able to do the same measurement for comparison.

3. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    DAV S500 but I get a hiss but only from one speaker. Checked all the connections etc but its driving me mad. Its more hiss than normal sound. Have I blown a channel on the amp or something ?.

Its a shame because I like the small form factor.