Dauntless (Free)

Discussion in 'Xbox One Games' started by BigD18t, May 21, 2019.

1. BigD18t

BigD18t
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,596
    Out today is the game Dauntless, it's a free to play Monster hunter type game, looks pretty good and possibly more accessible than MHW was which I have up on as it was so confusing.

11 Minutes of Dauntless PS4 Pro Gameplay

It's out now and around 8.8gb so not a massive file.

2. Horace

Horace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Thanks for the heads up, didn't realise it was coming to consoles.

Had a quick go this afternoon and did the tutorial and the first hunt. I like the art style and it seems quite fun, so will definitely play some more.

The one thing I struggled with was the dodging. Not sure if it's a bit sluggish or it's my old man reactions.

Lee

3. BigD18t

BigD18t
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,596
    The dodging is quite hard, I think if you in an attack animation you won't dodge, so you need to be careful of spamming the X/Y buttons too much.

I had some good fun, only seen PC and Xbox players so far but it's also supports PS cross play so we should see some sometime.

4. Horace

Horace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Did a couple more hunts this afternoon but the loading times were horrendous. Just starting the game brought up the message "matchmaking in progress" for five minutes when I wasn't trying to matchmake but just load the game.

It then took about two to three minutes to find a town instance after each of the hunts. Not a problem I had yesterday but maybe a lot more people are trying to play now so the servers could be struggling.

Might try a hunt solo next time as I only just noticed there is a solo hunt option. Both my hunts lasted just over four minutes and I barely landed a hit on the second one as I didn't see any notification that a flare had gone up and the behemoth was already missing parts when I happened to come across them all fighting it.

Still fun though.

Lee

5. Horace

Horace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Played for a good few hours this morning and servers were fine so must have been a problem yesterday. Game loaded straight away and matchmaking was quick as well.

Following the quests at the moment but can already see where you'll have to grind against certain behemoths to upgrade weapons and armour as at level 8 I'm being asked to defeat a frost behemoth with a blaze weapon and a fire behemoth with an ice weapon. There are also quests to defeat monsters with various types of weapon.

Also, you need various sets of armour to protect against normal damage and different elemental damage, and various weapons to inflict different damage types, plus different types of weapon fare better against certain behemoth types, so you can't just put all your eggs in one basket and upgrade one weapon and one set of armour unless you get carried.

I had two Shrikes hunt patrols, one after the other. The first one I used my best weapon, a sword, and got rank A; and for the second I switched to a basic war pike and got rank C.

Lee