• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Daughter going to Uni wants to bring her movies!

celtic13

Hi Guys,

My Daughter is expecting to go to Uni in the Autumn and wants to bring her film collection of some 300 dvd's with her. Obviously it isn't feasible nor practical to do this so I would suggest the solution is to transfer (rip?) them to a few portable hard drives - she also has a pico projector for displaying them! She has the latest macbook and I was wondering what was the easiest way of doing this. Do she download makemkv and use plex for display?

Please help as I will be landed with doing this and don't want it taking up the whole of my Summer!

Thanks in advance,

Paul

bevette

hi,

Not sure on the forum rules regarding such topics, but when I back my DVDs up to my apple tv I use a program that sounds like "Jack the Ripper", and handbrake.

Thanks

Tenex

Distinguished Member
I'd worry about distraction etc ;) but that aside rip them at home and then buy a Pogoplug so she can stream them to uni?

Somnambulist

Get her to chip in with buying something like a Drobo w/some 1-2TB drives and share some of the burden of ripping. Many hands make light work and all that.

sofasurfer

Why not just put the DVDs in CD wallets. Without the cases they wouldn't take up that much space. Places like Staples sell them. Ripping 300 DVDs will take some time as others have said.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
i have a couple of caselogic wallets that hold around 200 dvds each. they're a little heavy when fully loaded, but only about 4-5 inches thick and as wide/tall as 4 DVD discs arranged in a 2x2 grid

ripping is great but it takes a long time. i set my mini up to do it automatically so i just popped a disc in now and then and it was done in a few weeks

celtic13

Many, many thanks for all the replies, she is adamant she doesn't want to take her dvd's with her. We live in Belfast and she wants to come to Britain to study so wants to travel light - well as light as an 18 yr old girl can travel!

Sha has just bought a 1Tb portable hard drive and has promised to help rip the films to this - do you think Mac the ripper is best for this or makemkv?
She has also promised to restrict it to her favourite 80 films (and then while she's away I am supposed to rip the rest onto another drive!)

Thanks again in advance guys.

P

gasman1

Novice Member
Mac the ripper will give you quite large file sizes as it's an uncompressed copy. If you strip the extras you'll still have individual files of the order of 5gb. I'd suggest ripping a batch via mac the ripper, then queueing up the resulting files in handbrake to let it compress them to something more manageable like 1gb. That way she can have all her movies with her. She won't know the difference on a MacBook screen, and you could import them into iTunes as an easy place to store them. I'd also recommend iflicks for adding cover art/metadata etc.

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
My daughter is also going to university in September...

...and I will be using my existing copy of RipIt (which incorporates Handbrake) to rip compressed movies for storage in iTunes.

D

Deleted member 27989

Mac the ripper will give you quite large file sizes as it's an uncompressed copy. If you strip the extras you'll still have individual files of the order of 5gb. I'd suggest ripping a batch via mac the ripper, then queueing up the resulting files in handbrake to let it compress them to something more manageable like 1gb. That way she can have all her movies with her. She won't know the difference on a MacBook screen, and you could import them into iTunes as an easy place to store them. I'd also recommend iflicks for adding cover art/metadata etc.

I'm with GasMan on this.

Firstly you probably wont fit 300 DVD's on 1TB uncompressed anyway. I'd rip them, but be prepared to have access to MacTheRipper and RipIt as no single tool will be able to do them all in my experience with thanks to whatever protection some put on.

Then the MacBook drives don't do multi-region so if you have multi-region discs you may require a tool like fairmount as well to make those work.

Then once you've done that, queue them up in Handbrake and just use the Apple Universal preset. That way you can use those files not just on her computer but also on an iPad/iPhone or AppleTV. Heck mine even worked in my car media centre for the headrests and on my HTC Desire HD phone. I wouldn't compress to much though as then they are not portable across device and you may have to do it again.

Now that will hog a machine, and depending on the speed (mine does 1.5hours in 20 minutes of a 720p movie :D) and what else you want to do you could get an Elgato Turbo 264.HD. It offloads the processing to a plug and I used it extensively going through my back catalog of DVD's.

Just teach her about not giving these files away to everyone at Uni, it might make her popular but it is theft :smashin: And leaving Uni with a criminal record would not be a great start...

gasman1

Novice Member
Ripit includes the handbrake command line interface, so with a bit of knowledge one can reproduce this for free by using mac the ripper then handbrake cli by an folder action. I do this for converting mkv's to itunes.
The applescript is here Batch Convert Videos Using Handbrake and AppleScript , however if you have no experience with scripting then this may be more trouble than it's worth, which is why ripit sells!

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Yes, scripting is a bit of a pain but after some effort I had a great automated ripping setup on my mini.

I'd pop a DVD in the drive and it'd automatically rip it and then spit it out. So any time I walked past, or noticed a disc sticking out, I'd just put another one in.

Then, at around midnight every night, it'd schedule a handbrake session to encode the rips to apple standard quality. (the only reason I scheduled it was I also used the mini for playback in the evenings so didn't want to clash)

It still took a lot of time, but because it was pretty much unattended I didn't notice at all.

(I actually have a bunch of subtitled DVDs, mostly anime. So I had it setup so when I put a disc in I could press one button on my apple remote if it was a 'normal' DVD and it'd be ripped. If it was a subtitled disc I'd press a different button and it'd encode it with subtitles. Basically it just ripped into a different folder, and then I had two different scheduled Handbrake events running on alternate days - one for normal, one for subtitled)

chrispycrutch

Hi

Gonna use 'Slysofts Anydvd' to rip some blu rays on my current pc, obvisiously the ripped files are gonna be huge, will/can Handbrake condense them into smaller files?

Will be viewing them on a Apple TV, Ipad etc, via itunes.

Many Thanks

D

Deleted member 27989

Yes it will :) I remember AnyDVD from years ago when I was on the dark side, good tool.

gasman1

Novice Member
For the perfect automated setup, I can highly recommend two other programs.
Hazel is a file manager which can automatically monitor any folder, and basically you input rules like if "this" then "that". Sounds rubbish, but it's incredibly useful in many situations, but for this application I use it to move movie files around the downloads folder in various states of encoding. It can also trigger applescripts or open programs etc. I also use it in many other ways, for instance automatically adding jpg exports from lightroom to iphoto, or keeping my desktop clear of files.
The second useful app is iflicks, this adds metadata and cover art so the file looks like a iTunes bought file on your apple tv/iPad. It can run via folder action scripts, and adds the files to iTunes, so I use it as the final stage of my automated process. Then Hazel clears up the detritus for deletion.

D

Deleted member 27989

Hazel sounds interesting, but to be fair Automator from Apple is not that complex either.

I know it is offtopic but why would you want to export jpg from Lightroom to iPhoto?

gasman1

Novice Member
Hazel does so much more than automator though, and once you start using it, you'll soon wonder why apple don't include it in core osx functionality.

As to lightroom, I never got on with aperture (probably cos I started with lightroom on the pc), so I use it as a store for all my raw files, then I export developed "keepers" to iphoto for use within the mac ecosystem e.g smart folders for synced photos on my iPad, so photos are available on the apple tv, so photos are accessible through the system wide media browser for dragging into iWork/garagesale/iMovie etc.

RidleyDeckard

Hi

Gonna use 'Slysofts Anydvd' to rip some blu rays on my current pc, obvisiously the ripped files are gonna be huge, will/can Handbrake condense them into smaller files?
Will be viewing them on a Apple TV, Ipad etc, via itunes.
Many Thanks

Yeah Handbrake allows you to reduce the file size of blu-ray rips down to a more manageable amounts and it has pre-sets built in for iPad and Apple TV.

Celtic13, it's also worth mentioning that Handbrake is a much more sensible route to take ripping your daughters DVD collection. If she has 300 discs using Mac The Ripper will take up 5 - 7 gb per disc, so she is only going to be able to rip half of them for a 1Tb hard drive. If you use Handbrake it will reduce them down to around 1 - 2gb depending upon content which mean she'll easily fit all 300 on there.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
^^ As far as I know, and to be honest I've never tried it as most of my discs are already ripped, but as above; Handbrake can rip your DVD and compress it at the same time, taking multiple apps out of the equation. However, the bottle neck, in terms of time, then comes that it can only do one disc per session > it rips, compresses and converts one disc at a time and won't do anything else till you insert a new disc. But it is a nice all in one solution.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Ok, just to test, I bunged a DVD in my Mac, loaded up Handbrake, and set it to rip the main feature to a. mkv file, h264 and ac3 codecs, 2gb file size, chapters intact > been running about a half hour, says 1hr20 to go till done, for a 2hr20min film. So working on some being less in length, I'd say 300 films are going to take roughly 520-550 hours, maybe as much as 600hrs if you have lots of long films, which if you spent 8hrs solid a day, everyday, ripping your discs, you take you 65 days....

chrispycrutch

Yeah Handbrake allows you to reduce the file size of blu-ray rips down to a more manageable amounts and it has pre-sets built in for iPad and Apple TV.

Just tried Handbrake with a number of Blu ray files I have ripped as an image using Anydvd and Handbrake wont process the file. Interesingly tried a dvd rip using the same process and it looks as though Handbrake can do it.

Am I doing something wrong? Not really that good at all this :(

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom