Daughter forgetting PE kit

F

FatSam74

How can I get my daughter to take her PE kit to school? She doesn't like PE, and 'forgets' it in order to attempt to get out of having to do it.

You need to look at the reasons why she doesn't like PE, rather than forcing her to take her kit to school.

So often this is a body image / shaming issue. Fortunately the days of compulsory showers and in most cases, bullying PE teachers is long gone, but kids can be awful to each other.

Got to be worth a chat with her and see if you can find an activity out of school she can try, which will give her confidence in school. My daughters tried various activities before settling for rock climbing and water polo! This gave them the level of fitness and confidence to get more stuck in at school and the sports more enjoyable.

Not so much body image. Just hates the lesson! But after being made to do the lesson in her underwear last week I don't think she'll be forgetting her kit again!

Blimey, thought all that had long gone! The worse either of mine endured was having to use stinky old kit from the lost property box. I remember our school's punishment was to wear kit that was about 30 years old - and not necessarily the correct gender! One rugby lesson in an airtex top and a flappy split skirt was normally enough to prevent repeat offences...

Blimey, thought all that had long gone! The worse either of mine endured was having to use stinky old kit from the lost property box. I remember our school's punishment was to wear kit that was about 30 years old - and not necessarily the correct gender! One rugby lesson in an airtex top and a flappy split skirt was normally enough to prevent repeat offences...
Hahahaha! I bet you got laughed at wearing a PE skirt with your pants on underneath! I remember having to do PE in bra and knickers when I forgot my PE kit when I was younger, but I'm surprised my daughter had to do it in this day and age

Just give the kit to her on a non PE day and let her keep it there.

So often this is a body image / shaming issue. Fortunately the days of compulsory showers and in most cases, bullying PE teachers is long gone, but kids can be awful to each other.

I'd respectfully have to disagree. Some people just aren't into PE. Especially when it is cold\wet outside. Kids these days spend a lot of time indoors in front of an iPad. So there are a lot of people who simply don't enjoy doing PE.

Lots of kids didn't enjoy PE before home computers, Mobile phones and Tablets were even invented ;)

Lots of kids didn't enjoy PE before home computers, Mobile phones and Tablets were even invented ;)

But we're talking about a post millennium child, rather than a child from their parent's generation, so their reasons for not liking PE would most likely involve some aspects of modern life.

There were probably Roman children who didn't like going out and playing sports in the cold and the wet, too. But modern children are used to living in climate controlled environments with touch screen entertainment 6" from their noses, so they are less used to physical activity than previous generations.

10 years ago I'd have said that they were used to sitting in front of the TV. 10 years before that I was a child, and life was perfect. PE teachers were all Olympic athletes and Premier League superstars. Schools were well funded. And we always did what we were told and never answered back.

Music was also better back then. We had real lyrics, and the singers could actually sing, and did I mention we always did what we were told and never answered back?

But back on topic. Kids sometimes simply don't like getting up and running around. They like TV, or Ipads, or books, or whatever. Bullying and body shaming is does exist, but it's a poor second to kids simply not enjoying PE.

If you forget your maths book the school usually has another one, so it's harder to get out of.

But we're talking about a post millennium child, rather than a child from their parent's generation, so their reasons for not liking PE would most likely involve some aspects of modern life.
Fair point :thumbsup:

10 years ago I'd have said that they were used to sitting in front of the TV. 10 years before that I was a child, and life was perfect

When I was a child I watched the first landing on the moon on a TV. :thumbsup:

My youngest daughter doesn't really enjoy PE, particularly on cold winter days, but the sports kit, range of activities and the attitude of the teachers in a world away from when I was at school. She plays extreme frisby, wearing a comfortable tracksuit or shorts, with an option to play it non-competitively if they want to.

When I was that age, we were forced to play rugby (Our PE teacher was a Welsh International prop!), wearing a jersey and shorts, even on the coldest of days and the thought of not at least appearing to take it very seriously would have been punished with an extension into the break and possibly an after school detention session as target practice for one of the school rugby teams.

That being said, my PE teachers were all fit and toned, whereas one of my daughters' teachers is morbidly obese and the others hardly an example of healthy living...

Last edited:
one of my girls ( now 16 ) has albinism and has a pastey white completion, she is very conscious of her body and PE was always a problem
she would rather do a detention than get changed in front of the other girls or wear PE shorts or skirts

after talking to the school about her self consciousness about her skin the school allowed her to wear track suit bottoms and get changed in private which seems to work
swimming was another thing she would not participate in at school although she loves swimming but wears a swimsuit that covers most of her body

my youngest son forgot his PE kit today, tomorrow he has a 30 min detention and to be honest i'm not happy about it, he has no excuse just couldn't be bothered

When I was a child I watched the first landing on the moon on a TV. :thumbsup:
Ditto - ten years old and watching a 12" black and white TV. Still remember it.
Also when I was testing STB/TV software one of the Freeview test stream had the audio from that, brings a lump to my throat every time.

I hated Games/PE at school. I’m not sporty, never have been although I did run a half marathon in 2016 to tick it off my ‘bucket list’. The sports teachers at my old school were all bullies - they hated the tall mouthy kid and I hated them. My mum used to write me notes that I had a Dentist appointment or similar and I headed home and did my homework instead of running around a sports field in the rain.

So many memories about PE in the 'old days' (i.e. my days!) but the same hatred still appears to exist today. The comment above "after being made to do the lesson in her underwear last week I don't think she'll be forgetting her kit again" brought my own memories back. Surprised that this still goes on (well that post is relatively recent). I remember doing gym in my knickers through forgotten kit. I hated and was also useless at PE and outdoor games. I'm sure the teachers had no time for anyone who couldn't do what they were being told to do. Not so much teaching as bullying in my experience.
As for forgetting kit to get out of PE, school had a simple rule. If you were well enough to be at school then you were well enough to do PE, kit or not.

Last edited:
sorry if I seem unsympathetic however I believe too many parents want to be friends with their kids unfortunately this is a troublesome scenario. Your daughter is obliged to take PE on the national curriculum as I understand it so it isn't a question as to whether she does it or not she takes it, Obviously you can try to get to the bottom of what her concerns are and speak with her but it's a moot question whether she does the class or not. Parents seem afraid to say no nowadays which is why some of them are such hard work and only setup to fail later in life when they find there is authority to stop their behaviour sometimes. and as for forgetting her kit as her parents sure you can give her the kit to take to school on the appropriate day is probably only once a week.

I have to agree if only to find out the problem and solve it since her self confidence seems to have been affected.

we all had lessons we didn't enjoy it school for some it was PE others couldn't stand math. although some lessons seem more important than others an obese 40 year old with a heart condition may well wish they had been more more involved with physical activity. As a nation we are getting fatter this could be resolved by more considered diet's and a greater amount of physical activity which perhaps could be encouraged at school.

BTW: The OP hasn't logged in for nearly 3 years. Their daughter may not even be at school any more.

Clearly I'd have been better studying more and running around less and should have noticed this !!! However I still stand by by the parents wanting to be friends rather than parents comment.

Clearly I'd have been better studying more and running around less and should have noticed this !!! However I still stand by by the parents wanting to be friends rather than parents comment.

When I was in school we only had a PE uniform in middle school. In elementary school and high school we wore our own
Clothes.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom