1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Datel Region X Confusion

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by cm3107, Apr 9, 2005.

1. cm3107

cm3107
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Playstaion 2 and AVForums virgin, so treat me gently!! I have a European PS2, which works great, and some Eurpean games which work great (well they would if I was any good!). Problem is with some US games. Majority play OK, but a couple just don't register (screen keeps telling me to insert a PS2 disc). Spoke to someone at airport store that suggested a Datel Region X disc, but looking at them on-line they seem to be all about playing DVD's from other regions on a PS2, not about playing a PS2 game that doesn't work.
    Any help greatfully appreciated :thumbsup:

2. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    If your European PS2 is unmodded, then it shouldn't be able to play US games at all. To do this, you would need to use Swap Magic, and either the slide card (if you've got a large PS2) or magic switch/slim tool (if you've got a slim PSTwo). If you are managing to play US games and your console is unmodded, I'm intrigued!

3. cm3107

cm3107
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No idea if it is unmodded (how would I find out) Basically ordered it on-line from Amazon, plugged it in and some US games worked, and all the UK games. May be something that I am doing wrong :-(

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,176
    If its from Amazon then its defently not modded unless you got it from an Amazon Marketplace seller then its possible it has a modchip installed.
    Also, DVD Region X is only for playing back DVDs from other Regions, it has nothing to do with Games im afraid.
    As for why certain US games work, it could be that the game developer didnt include any region restrictions on those particular games, I know certain xbox games are like this but as a rule only PAL format games will work in a PAL console, what games are they?

5. cm3107

cm3107
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Straight from Amazon, so unmodded I guess. Do I need to get this sorted, and if so how?

Games are - NBA Live 2005 and Lara Croft (The Angel of Darkness)

Thanks

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,176
    If you want to play US games you will have to get either a modchip installed (now illegal) or use a swap magic disc but dont think we are allowed to talk about them on here.

7. cm3107

cm3107
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - wouldn't want to discuss anything we weren't meant to :lesson:

Maybe email you seperately?

8. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I don't think there are any restrictions on discussing swap methods here. Certainly there's been a thread in the special offers forum for over a year.

Swap Magic is available from several places on the internet. Just do a google for it. You can also find it on Ebay or QXL.

The method of using Swap Magic depends on your Playstation 2 model: as I said earlier, if you've got on original PS2 (the bigger one), then you need to use the "slide card" method - this involves taking the front panel off the front of the disc drawer; then, when you've put in your appropriate Swap Magic disc (there are 2 of them - one for CD games and one for DVD games), you slide the slide card under the tray, and it releases the tray; you then put in the game you want to play, and close the tray, using the slide card again. I have to mention that there is potential that you could damage the tray mechanism if this is not done correctly, but many, many people use it without any problems.

If you've got a new slimline PSTwo, then there are currently three products on the market designed to work with Swap Magic, and all work on the same premise of fooling the console into thinking the top is closed when it isn't: there's the ghost switch, which actually involves taking your console apart, so isn't used much any more; there's the Magic Switch, which comprises 3 small pieces of plastic, placed at strategic points in the disc area of the console - the downside of this is that you have to leave the lid open permanently. Newest is the slim tool, which again consists of 3 small bits of plastic, but with this you can close the lid. If used carefully, the latter two methods (magic switch or slim tool) should not void your warranty.

9. cm3107

cm3107
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that would be the V12 Slim Tool Set that I have seen advertised? Are the plastic bits left in all the time, or just when you want to play a US game? Appreciate the help ;)

10. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    With the slim tool, the pieces can be left in the console all the time. You can take them out if you wish, but there's no need to do this.

11. cm3107

cm3107
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin:

12. cm3107

cm3107
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course now I have looked at the site I need to work out if I need the European or US one??!!

13. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    You will need the PAL version of Swap Magic 3.3 (or 3.6), plus the Slim tool. The tool itself, AFAIK, does not vary from region to region, it's just the software.

14. cm3107

cm3107
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0