Datawrite red v3. 50 Discs for £7.. and not too bad.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jules, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +773
    Just placed my bi-annual order for blank discs over the internet and amongst the 200 discs I ordered was a tub of 50 datawrite red V3's for under £8.

I thought, these'll do for giving away to people who want to something recording but don't have a DVD recorder yet.

Anyway, I expected them to be complete rubbish for the price, but they're not too shabby!
    I've recorded a dozen or so in my Panasonic E85 and in the PC (Pioneer 107 drive) and they've all burnt flawlessy.
    They play back ok in everything so far, and skipping between chapters is brisk... and I always believe that to be a good sign.

I know all media is alot cheaper than it was 12 months ago, but these are really dirt cheap and with Ritek G05 discs not offering the reliability of earlier Ritek discs, these Datawrite reds will remain on my shopping list.

2. whizzy8

whizzy8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which site did you get them from for that price?

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    These are garbage, absolute garbage, the worst disks I have ever used.
    most fail at the 3 gig mark, do not buy these disks.

you'll be sorry when they fail, and lose all the data

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    How can anyone say they are the same discs when only the brand is quoted? The colouration of the label and the word 'Datawrite' can conceal a number of manufacturer's dyes. As an illustration, SVP are currently selling Datawrite red discs which have one of the best dyes available (RICOHJPNRxx). In another section they are selling Datawrite red discs which have one of the worst dyes (InfoSmart01). Obviously the first contributor is not using the former, since they are +R format, but you get the picture. Here's starting point for reference:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Hopefully in future people will link exhortations to buy, or opinions what not to buy, with some objective information. This should include at least a media code, grade of media, a retail source with catalogue number, and perhaps then the brand name as a final piece of information. Otherwise you might as well ask us compare chalk with cheese.

5. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly, I got some Datawrite Reds that had TY001 dye which is supposed to be one of the best. They were also 8X but they don't apear to exist any more. All the one you see are 4X and can have varrious dye hence some are good and some are not so good.

The problem with Datawrite is they swop dyes often and the quality suddenly changes. I'm wondering if some of them are not really Datawrite discs at all, but copies.

You really need to go with manufacture and the Dye as I've discovered that either the same dye on a different manufacturer is different.

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, and beware RiVision and RiDisc. Despite the naming similarity to RiData and Ritek, they are not owned by Ritek but by the same company responsible for Datawrite, and thus can have any old crap underneath.