1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

datawrite grey classic 8x disks and copying

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by askers, Sep 5, 2004.

1. askers

askers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using a program called 1 click dvd copy and i have anydvd running in the background to remove copyright and encryption etc.

I have copied a couple of original dvd's and they copy fine in about an hour but when i come to play them on my standalone dvd player or on my pc, every few minutes it freezes for a second then resumes playing again, this is very annoying and sometimes it totally locks up on my dvd player. It does this all the way through a film and when it does it you can hear the dvd player making a funny noise as it tries to read the dvd.

I am new to copying dvd's so would appreciate some advice as to what it could be?

stu

2. Rob Pyatt

Rob Pyatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this sounds like a disc compatability problem to me.

To put it simply, some discs are better than others. I alway use discs that are Ritek G04 or Ritek G05 (if you have an 8x burner). I usually use these: http://ukdvdr.co.uk/shop/customer/product.php?productid=17232&cat=260&page=1. Check out hte rest of the site www.ukdvdr.co.uk for some other great deals.

Also, just because it is really much easier, you may want to consider somethin like dvd Shrink. It is free and does a great job with copying DVDs. There is a thread about it somewhere.....

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,187
    I have been doing backups for along time now and I would recommend using a disc with a good Ritek dye. Datawrite are known for not using the best dye, sometimes the discs can be fine and other times a whole pack can be bad but with Ritek 99% of the time you can be sure the discs will be perfect.

After a quick check I can see 8x Datawrite Grey are £6.99 for 25 so I can understand why you went for them as they are quite cheap but cheap isnt always the best way to go, if the discs dont work in your player then they work out alot more expensive than you originally thought. You might want to try out either the 8x ANV Ritek discs which are £8.50 for 25 or 8x RiDisc Ritek which are £9.49 for 25, those should give far better results.

4. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    From what i understand is it true that compatibility problems manly occur on pc's dvd burners? jst curious as i have used all types of cheap blanks including the datawrite 4x with my Sony RDR-GX3 deck and have had no problems at all with any disc..

5. Bob H2

Bob H2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some PC DVD burners like some media better than others. Some of the newer burners have had trouble with cheaper media and Ritek in particular. Liteon burners are very picky about media and prefer +R media to -R media.

There is a good forum run by CdFreaks which would be worth looking at.

The trouble you are experiencing sounds to me like a badly burned DVD,

6. clack

clack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok..the theres usually one or two things which cause the problems youre having on the standalone player....these been
    1. Poor media ( the datawrite grey 8x are perfectly fine..ive used them for months now with not one single coaster...rated as no1 disc on one site on the net)
    2.Burning speed...if its a 8x burner change the write speed to 4x or even 2x...far better speeds ...might take a short while longer but much less chance of a bad copy (right click in my computer on youre dvd recorder drive..properties...recording. Or change of course to a 4x speed media
    3.Important...make sure all anti virus / background applications are turned off including firewall...i just unplug my cable modem during reading /writing....any programme trying to use resources can mess up youre recording...especially anti virus
    4. Run something like ad-aware (free)and clear out any junk spyware...can cause problems
    5.As already stated could be a compatability problem with youre standalone player...try the disc on a mates player and see if it freezes ...might not freeze in the same areas though !....usually these problems occur if any of the above in the last third of the film. If they play fine in another player well im not sure if theres anything you can do but change youre dvd player....take a few of youre burnt discs into the shop though and ask to try them out on youre intended buy

Hope something here helps....i had exactly the same problem last year...turned out for me the player just didnt like recordings.....some would play fine some would freeze constantly....usually towards the end, which is a real downer if youve really got into the film !! try points 2 to 4 though, could quite easily fix youre problem

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,187