Datasat RS20i Processor

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by AngelEyes, May 1, 2012.

1. lucmarone

lucmarone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Djnickm, thank you for your report..
    once listened to rs20i with dirac live
    Trinnov mc with ada mach 4 is still a better choice
    For movies?
    I would like to know your thoughts..

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  2. QRIO

QRIO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I'll answer my own question, shall I? 

3 or 4 analogue devices shark DSPs? Same DSP as tag AV32R.

3. Neil Davidson

Neil Davidson
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    That is not correct. There are 6 shark DSP units.

4. saguk1234

saguk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Sharc!!! Not shark!!

5. QRIO

QRIO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Thanks, shark or sharc- lol

6. djnickm

djnickm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Insert famous soundtrack here.

7. djnickm

djnickm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Couple of shots from Cedia. Wish I was there. The new amps are looking great. 7 x 300w and 2 x 400w.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,379
    When are yours arriving Nick? :laugh:

Let us know as your cast offs tend to be everyone else dream systems :D

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some great looking kit there, I was about to say the same as smurfin Nick, when are yours arriving Lol!

10. djnickm

djnickm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Thanks guys... Well I shall be getting my teeth in to the RS20I once the datasat boys get back from Cedia. So hopefully not too much longer.

I'll be looking into the amps as soon as they are available here in the uk. This is the first images I have seen of them. From their designer to say I am excited to hear them is an understatement.

11. saguk1234

saguk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Didn't you buy some AB amps recently?

12. djnickm

djnickm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Yes indeed. I sold my big denon for a couple of AB Amps.

Ad very happy with them I am too. Well, except one has a fault and is currently back on Bobs bench ( under 48 jours from my door to his) But apart from that they are superb. And one of the reasons I went for ab was that I knew if I didn't like them, or if I wanted to change in the future then I can easily sell them on with minimal loss, if any.

Hope you are well and still enjoying the amazing sound of Ada ( who by the way have just released a new, budget, intergrated receiver ).

13. abone

abone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    The amps are very special and should win every award in the book, the 7 channel one alone weighs in at a cool 10 stone lol ( down stairs cinema rooms only ) :)

14. Wull

Wull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    10 what!!! :eek:

15. Apone

Apone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Any further info on this (Neil/ anyone?)

16. lucmor444

lucmor444

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The new Datasat amps look a treat - looks like they are in the new 'black' rather than the indigo blue colour

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  17. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woh Andy that is some serious weight, just a little less than what I weigh in at " I wish " bet it must sound awsome :)

18. abone

abone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Yes I am sure they do I have not heard them yet,
    I know from what Steve said at Datasat is that they wanted to build the worlds best amps cost no object.

19. lucmor444

lucmor444

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Neil - any update on the Dolby HD card?

20. lucmarone

lucmarone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    And what about dolby prologic IIX?

21. lucmor444

lucmor444

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Finally ran Dirac Live tonight. Process was very easy to do, really no more complicated than an Audyssey Pro calibration but with much more flexibility albeit the measurements take longer to run. Haven't done extensive listening tests yet but with what I have done I have noticed greater clarity in the centre channel, a more enveloping sound stage and the detail/placement of sound being much improved. Very impressed.

22. Wookii

Wookii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    The RS20i looks like a very interesting and exciting bit of kit, the fact that it comes from such a cutting edge stable as Datasat makes it all the more appealing from a long term investment perspective - you know you are going to remain at the cutting edge with one of these processors I would imagine.

I was originally looking toward the Rhapsody and Trinnov for any future processor upgrade but the RS20i certainly adds a second option to the mix.

A couple of initial questions, if anyone can answer them:

1. The RS20i doesn't appear to have traditional XLR or RCA sockets on the rear - I assume there is a proprietary connector that connects one of the serial style ports to an XLR loom for connecting to amps? Can anyone shed any more light on this and the connection options available?

2. Can the unit handle multiple zones for audio, and if so can the DIRAC optimisation be applied to those multiple zones?

3. I assume the RS20i is purely an audio processor, with no video processing? If so, does the unit pass through video from the HDMI inputs without touching/degrading the video signal?

4. I have read a little of the information on the Datasat website with regards to the DIRAC Live optimisation. Can anyone summarise for me how this tech differs from the room optimisation offered by the Trinnov processor and Anthem ARC?

5. As mentioned by Darren above, I wouldn't be comfortable investing in a processor that I didn't have full control over, and couldn't make make changes or recalibrate without dealer involvement. Do Datasat plan to make the calibration kit available to users? (Even if it means a training day somewhere?) @ Lumcor444 - how did you go about running the Dirac optimisation?

6. I love the sound of full iPad/iPhone control - does anyone have any screen shots of this in action?

Finally where is the best place to see (or rather hear) one of these units in action for a member of joe-public?

23. jacked

jacked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Have a word with Andy Bone at Premier Audio Video, he has the Datasat with iPad control in his dem-room.

Dave

24. Wookii

Wookii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Thanks Jacked - I have seen Andy's posts above but didn't know what dealer he was from. A quick google brings up a Premier Audio Video in Nottingham? Is that the right one? (Hope so as its my home town!)

25. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,610
    That is the one, how luck are you. :)

The connections are all via included break out cables and yes there is no video processing at all, just like ADA.

The iPad control is basically exactly the same control interface as the from panel accessed by VNC (IIRC) so it performs identically to using that touch screen. Any computer can interact in the same way.

The GUI is quite clear and simple to use, if a little basic looking but seemed very intuitive. More so than the ADA for instance.

I am sure other more in the know can help with the rest.

Adam :)

26. Wookii

Wookii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Thanks Adam,

I'll get in touch with Andy then and see if I can get a look at the RS20i being as I missed the trip to Datasat that you lucky guys went on!

27. lucmor444

lucmor444

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I have had no success yet running VNC control for the RS20i from either an Andriod tablet or a iPod touch (either won't connect with the RS20i or asks for a password of 6 characters to connect when there is no password set). I have never used iRule before but will try to give it a go over the next couple of weeks.

In respect to the calibration kit - I had to build that myself from individual components and because I sourced my unit from overseas before any local dealer network was established the supplier was able to provide me the Dirac Live software/security dongle (at a cost). I am not sure whether such an option exists in the UK. As I noted earlier, once you have everything the running of Dirac Live is very straightforward and logical albeit I don't expect I am maxmising its potential as a trained and expert installer/dealer could.

28. Wookii

Wookii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    After an horrendously busy week last week, I managed to get an evening to pop up to Premier Audio Video and meet Andy Bone and take a look at his system and more importantly the Datasat RS20i.

First off, I have to say Andy has an amazing room, and a cracking cinema system - it is the first time I have come across Aerial Acoustics speakers, and I have to say I was very impressed by them - needless to say they are now on my (very) short list when I upgrade my current MK's.

Andy's system as a whole sounded incredible - the sheer impact and dynamics were amazing, but somewhat more than that was the complete envelopment of the surround field from front to back. Even though there was a fair physical distance between the fronts and the side surrounds (as there is in most set-ups), the sound stage between them was seamless - more than that you struggled to identify specific sounds coming from any one speaker.

Andy attributed this to the DIRAC system in the Datasat doing its thing, and its ability to blend the speakers into a cohesive sound stage such that the individual speakers themselves disappeared within it. The ability of it to draw you into the movie playing on the screen was incredible.

A key demo scene for me was the race sequence in the Phantom Menace - at many points it was so visceral that you really felt like you were on one of those speeders. Andy's system, obviously driven by the Datasat, created a sound stage in that clip that I have not heard before, such was its three dimensional envelopment in both the vertical and horizontal planes.

We ran out of time (I was there until 10:30pm!) and forgot to do an A-B comparison with/without DIRAC engaged (we were too busy watching clip after clip) - a good excuse for another visit to test that out!

Many thanks to Andy for taking the time to demo the system to me - if anyone gets chance to arrange a visit to Premier Audio Video I thoroughly recommend it. I have demoed a fair bit of kit at various dealers over the years, and I have to say that Andy's system is the best I have ever listened to - plus Andy is a thoroughly nice guy to boot.

When I watched a movie on my own system a couple of nights later (which I have always thought sounded pretty damn good, especially since I got my D2v), it really brought home to me some obvious deficiencies in my own kit and room.

I am keen to see what Nick thinks after his home demo of the Trinnov (assuming he hasn't made the decision yet?) once he has chance to compare the Datasat in his own system. Keep us updated Nick!

For me the Datasat has the lead on features alone, it certainly sounds amazing (though I have yet to hear the Trinnov system) - and the possibility of the 'voice of god' speaker via Auro-3D in the potential future upgrades, together with the ongoing development that seems to be happening with the DIRAC system is, for me, a compelling reason to go the Datasat route.

29. lucmor444

lucmor444

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Andy/Neil - have you heard any new date for the release of the Dolby HD module?

30. lucmor444

lucmor444

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Got an update from over at AVSforums - the Dolby HD module may now be ready next month (ie November)