Datasat in trouble?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by MadScientist, Apr 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MadScientist

MadScientist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
  2. Drongo

Drongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
  3. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,143
    I was told this back in February at the ISE.

4. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +947
    From a poster on AVSForums

That's datasats analogue cinema mix down facility which is pretty much obsolete. So why keep an expensive office running when it's not needed.

Datasatin terms of processors, electronics etc are not, I repeat, NOT, going bust or in liquidation.

5. MadScientist

MadScientist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    That's good news

6. Drongo

Drongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Possible source of confusion; two different companies one named Datasat Digital Ltd and the other Datasat Digital Entertainment Inc.

A quote from a post on the HH forum:

Hopefully all is well with the Datasat we are all familiar with.

7. Drongo

Drongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
  8. ru555

ru555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I looooove DTS

9. sammy the squid

sammy the squid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    Seems to be some mass confusion on this thread. As far as the domestic processor side of the business is concerned, it's all in order. Just waiting for the Dts:X upgrade :)

10. Daniel Schulz

Daniel Schulz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I love the part on the Meridian thread about Datasat being the parent company of DTS, which is a really common misconception. Datasat is *not* "the company formerly known as DTS," since DTS is still around! I'm not registered there, but perhaps someone can post on the Meridian thread to clarify.

To recap: in 2008, DTS, Inc. sold their cinema division to Datasat. Included in that sale were offices in the UK and the US, and in a legal sense two separate corporate entities, DTS Europe Ltd. and DTS Digital Cinema (re-badged as Datasat Digital Entertainment after the sale). DTS, Inc. (which incidentally is publicly traded on the NASDAQ exchange) continues to do business a consumer codec licensing company, although with the development of DTS:X are dipping their toes back into the cinema waters they first abandoned in 2008 when they sold the cinema group. Apart from their DTS:X rollout the big recent news for DTS was their acquisition of iBiquity, the parent company of HD Radio (but I digress).

Datasat Digital Entertainment is based in Southern California. R&D, product development, engineering, marketing and QA are all based in Southern California, as is the majority of the manufacturing. The UK office had a more prominent role than it did in the DTS days, because the Datasat ownership was UK based, but it was nonetheless primarily a sales office, warehouse and marketing base for Western Europe. Plus there was a *really* nice screening room in the UK office, that will be missed. It was also needed to service the legacy 35mm soundtrack business (which was also run out of California), in order to provide post production support to movie studios and distributors for the UK and Western Europe. Now that the 35mm business is gone, and Datasat is focused purely on the cinema and consumer hardware businesses, it made sense to wind down the UK-based legal entity and close the UK office.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. thebland

thebland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have DTS-X on my Altitude... I have it using all my channels (except wides) and with arrays... Sounds good but so little software. THE Atmos demos are far more impressive. My buddy in the industry says that who knows what might even happen to DTS-X? I know it will be some time before the Altitude has a full 24 channels (like Atmos) - for now it is limited to 7.1. for some reason. Sounds like there are issues at DTS.