Data Recovery

agh55

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need help, can anyone please advise of any data recovery programs, preferably free to recover data from an external hard drive i reformatted by accident.

I've had some luck with this in the past but if the data is really important you should use a professional recovery service.

Hi and thanks for your reply, I have tried "RunTime" Software and it is only picking up the program I installed after I reformatted the drive.

You might have a go at this free version
No promises.

Hi and thanks for your reply, I have tried "RunTime" Software and it is only picking up the program I installed after I reformatted the drive.
So you reformatted the drive and then wrote to it?

What type of reformat: quick or long ?

See this thread.

Hi, it was a quick format, ie right mouse click and format. Recuva doesn't see my backup files. I have read the thread you mentioned, are you referring to "Diskdigger".

Quick format? Then the data is probably still there. You could try GetDataBack.

But if the data is super important i’d use a professional service.

But more importantly why don’t you have a backup?

Hi thanks to all who replied, I used Photorec and it recovered approx. 90% of my data, however it it was all in single files. It took approx. 144 hours to recover.

Thanks for your reply, I'm always conscious of backing up my data, and this Hard drive was a backup of another backup but it may have had older photos I wanted to recover. Now going through all the recovered files and putting back in to folders .

Gratz getting most of the data off the drive. 👍

To others reading this... backup everything you want to keep and check the recovery every so often or pay the price because drives do fail/get corrupted.

Have someone tried Recuva? Does it really work?
Depends.

How damaged the drive is, can it still partially work in your PC.

What kind of activity has happened to the drive, attempts to write new data can destroy the existing data that could be recovered.

When files are deleted on your computer they aren't immediately wiped from the file system, a tool like the one you mention and many others can recover deleted files. Another scenario is where something corrupts the file system but much of the data/files is still intact and can be recovered.

If you accidently deleted something and its not in the recycle bin there is a chance you can still recover the file.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom