1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Rate Problems!!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by selfyselfy, Mar 23, 2005.

1. selfyselfy

selfyselfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently bought a Sony DCR-HC19E Camcorder and have installed a firewire card into my Pc and all has gone well.

I am now trying to capture video using Pinnacle Studio 8 and I am being told that my Hard Drive is not capable of meeting the required data rate of 4444 Kbyte/Second.

I have searched the forums and have followed previous advice to Fragment my Hard drive and DMA was already enabled. However after doing this my read rate is still only 2294 KB/SEC and my write rate is only 3219 KB/SEC.

Any other ideas to improve the Data Rate?

It captures in Windows Movie Maker but drops quite a lot of frames.

My computer specs are 1GHZ AMD ATHLON with 240mb RAM, I am running XP and I have 23GB free space.

I realise that my specs arnt great and my free space wont store much but to begin with I just want to get editing and put a few minutes onto VCD then Delete the files.

Thanks for your help.

James

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think your system is desperately in need of some more RAM (do you mean it has 256Mb btw). It is probably paging data in and out of the RAM to disk (due to lack of space) and this is slowing down your capture. Adding another 256 or even 512Mb shouldn't be too expensive, hope this helps.

3. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Selfy,
    I'm sort of hi-jacking this post to send a massive thanks to Mark. I had similar problems with dropped frames, although my PC specs are higher. With Mark's and the forums help, where before 5 mins of capture = 200+ dropped frames; I have just captured 30mins with zero frames dropped. I would credit most of the improvements to Mark's baby, 'enditall'. A litle program that ends the tons of crap running behind the scenes on your PC. :clap:
    I would share it with you if Mark is happy for me to do this?
    Good luck.
    Brum :smashin:

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Thanks for your comments brum, but TBH EndItAll2 is not 'my program' but just a program that was recommended to me by other NLE experts. If you want to e-mail a copy to others then feel free as the copy I got hold of was not restricted in any way in regards to distribution (as long as you don't charge for it :devil: ).
    As I alway say, if you receive free help from somebody then the least you can do is try to pass on that help to others. That is why I and many others spend far too much time on this forum :suicide:

Mark.

5. selfyselfy

selfyselfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Brum, It would be grear If I could get a copy of that program, I tried to download it after reading about it in another forum but the site no longer offered it for free.

Do you want my email address?

Thanks

James

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    James, I'm at work at the moment but if brum doesn't get it sent to you first then give me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll get it off to you at some point tonight.

Mark.

7. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    James,
    If you want to PM me your e-mail, I can send it over now. Unless Mark's got home from work already.
    Brum