Quantcast

Dashcam to catch car vandals

Nevermore67

Novice Member
Hi everyone.

I’m having a repeated problem with someone breaking my car wing mirror off in the middle of the night. Last night was the third time in three months - not only is this very expensive and extremely inconvenient to fix but it is infuriating not knowing who is responsible and why! Unsurprisingly the police are unable to help without evidence so I am trying to find a way to capture an image of whoever is responsible.

We keep the car parked on the road and there is no practical way to mount a CCTV camera outside. Instead I was thinking of purchasing a dashcam which I could mount on the opposite inside door to capture footage through the window on the side which keeps being damaged. It would need to have night vision and be small enough to conceal without being obvious (the last thing I need is my window being smashed by someone trying to steal it!).

The car is close enough to the house that it should pick up WiFi if it’s needed but i won’t be able to power it from the car all night so I’ll need something with a decent battery life. I realise this is a long list of requirements but I’ve never considered a dashcam before so if anyone could recommend something I’d be really grateful. Thanks, Tom.

arachnoid

Sorry to hear about your problem.

It seems that you might want to mount the camera inside the vehicle at the rear, facing forward to cover the windscreen and door mirror area? In that case mount options would be a factor in your choice, as well as a discrete camera where you can turn of LED's (or tape over) and screen. I've not used this but something of this type might work?

You'll need to mount the camera in the best position to try to get a good image of the perpetrator. It might be worth playing around with a phone camera or regular camera to determine the angles, positioning, etc. then decide which dash cam covers them. Generally, if the target is not near centre of the image chances are image quality will fall off.

Nevermore67

Novice Member
Hi. Thanks very much for your reply. The car is back from the body shop (again!) so I’m keen to find a solution. I bought a Blink camera on Black Friday which is a great little unit but for a variety of reasons it isn’t suitable for what I need, so I will definitely have a look at what you’ve suggested. Thanks again.

rickyt

I dont think a conventional dashcam would work, I mean the ones I use activate when the ignition is turned on and go off when I stop the engine. Also, anything with LED's from inside the car just causes a glare with light being bounced back from the glass. You need a 12v DVR that's running all the time with an outside mounted camera or a movement activated type device.
You can buy a DVR quite cheaply ,just a little bit bigger than a pack of cigarettes ,a 1 or 2 channel type that records onto a SD card [or microSDcard]. Camera's are separate and come in all sorts of sizes, bulletscams for instance and tiny camera's like the ones I use for FPV on my drones. Mounting a one so it's not seen will be the tricky part.
I'll show you the type of devices in a post later .

rickyt

Here's just a small selection of devices on the market . I have bought them all at some point especially the small cameras like the lower right one I use with the drones. You can buy , again quite cheaply a camera that will transmit picture and sound . Some tiny cameras have the trasmitter built in , other cameras you simply attach a transmitter ,this sends a picture to a reciever at home . These operate on 5.8G and can travel great distances depending on the watage. ie 25mW , 200mW, 600mW, 1200mW. Like I say , I use them on my drones , the tiny camera sends the picture to a monitor [5.8G] where I can view and record at the same time. The separate reciever attaches
cams.jpg
into your TV or any recorder. All the devices are 12v ,so you could just setup a spare battery in the boot to power them all.