Question Dashcam Newbie - No idea where to start!

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Ste7en, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Ste7en

Ste7en
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,413
    Hi.

We finally have a nice(ish) new(ish) car and I'd like to get a dashcam for it.

Ideally, I think I'd like to get something hard wired, always on and front / rear cameras but I've no idea regarding budget, manufacturers or who to get it fitted with. Are Halfords any good with the fitting?

Cheers!

2. Paul Iddon

Paul Iddon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Yes they seem to be ok though I've heard of the odd mistake.

Hardwiring yourself is easy though and there are plenty of YouTube videos showing how simple it really is.

Remember parking mode can potentially drain your battery though.

Lots of dashcams available. Google "dashcam talk" for dozens of reviews.

3. Ste7en

Ste7en
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,413
    Well, Mrs has decided we must have a dashcam. We have had our car back for two weeks and yesterday we were almost in three accidents and we saw a third:

1) Mrs waiting in a queue to pull out at a T junction and the van in front of her suddenly reverses and stops inches from the bumper.

2) I was driving round a sharp bend in a busy city centre street and a knob flies round and cuts across and almost hits us.

3) Oncoming idiot on a country lane in the middle of the road.

Then we saw a van in the middle of the road indicating to go onto a right hand road. Idiot decides to undertake half on / half off the footpath. Van driver changes his mind and pulls back across and wallops the undertaking car.

I've pretty much decided on the Thinkware F770 2 channel and hard wired installation.

Is there anything I should be wary of? Can you have the app on more than one phone for instance?

4. Paul Iddon

Paul Iddon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I would expect the app would go on more than one phone as long as you have the right password.

One thing to look out for is that is you have DAB radio, you could get interference enough to cause the signal to drop for short periods of time. You would have to try and get the wires away from your DAB radio antennae. The problem generally exists with 2 channel dashcams for some reason.

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    I installed a Blueskysea B1W single channel dashcam but removed it due to interference with my DAB reception. I replaced it with Blackvue DR590W-2ch and have experienced zero issues with DAB interference. I haven't installed the rear cam yet but I doubt it will have any impact as the DAB antenna is obviously on my front windscreen. I have only installed mine to the 12v socket in the passenger's footwell and am considering a battery back-up to extend the parking mode from 30 mins (my 12v powers down after 30 mins) to around 12-15 hours depending on the battery I go for (either Blackvue or Celink).

6. anticlaus105

anticlaus105

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I'm interested in a cloud wifi backvue. Does anyone know the cheapest way to add a wifi hotspot to your car? I'm thinking of using an old mobile phone and a cheap data sim.

Also what's the longest that can be had from parking mode? Would 2 weeks be possible depending on battery pack?