Dash Cam no inbuilt screen use iPhone?

MrMav11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a dash cam. I'm unsure why you need massive screens on them, it's just off putting and makes the device physically bigger, or is there a specific reason?

I'd prefer a smaller device, with better battery life, and portable. Have WiFi if necessary to see the footage on my iPhone. Does one exist?

I use different cars, so I'd like a one with a decent battery on, and small to take with me.

Why don't current cars with camera's built in for parking use these cameras to record?

Thanks

1. It's necessary to aim the camera for the best view. Agreed the screen and lense don't need to share a housing, especially if the live view can be transmitted to a tablet, but separating them would increase cost.

2. The battery isn't to run the camera/recorder, only to cleanly save the files and shut down once 12v is removed. The 12v comes from the car's aux supply (lighter socket) and recordings start/stop with the ignition if the socket is connected to that, otherwise you have to do it manually. Some cams have a capacitor instead of battery, due to the heat sometimes experienced behind the windscreen.

3. As dash-cams/reversing/parking cams/sat-navs/black boxes etc become more prolific they will integrate them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom