Question Dash (Action) Cam Draining Battery?

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by pogbellies, May 2, 2019.

1. pogbellies

pogbellies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I hope somebody can help;

I have a cheap (Apeman) action cam in my car in use as a dash cam.

The car is a 2012 Honda CRV diesel. The action cam is connected to a 12V power outlet via a USB cable and plug. Recently the car started disabling the stop/start function with a battery icon next the the warning (which apparently means it has insufficient power or incorrect battery fitted). The battery is only two years old and was fitted by the AA.

When I removed the action cam, after a few miles the warning cleared by itself and has not returned. What puzzles me is that I know (having tested them by plugging my phone into them) that both power outlets are only live with the ignition on.

Is it possible that the action cam would put such a high drain on the car battery that it could disable the stop/start or does it look like a fault with the battery or charging system on the car?

Any suggestions welcome.

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,307
    I'd be amazed if a USB connected camera could have any real impact on the battery while the engine is running.
    My guess is the "few miles" is more likely the cure than unplugging the camera but I could be wrong.

3. ckaeel

ckaeel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could buy a Power Voltage Current Meter USB (for £3-£5) and see by yourself what current the camera takes for charging.
    Other possibilities:
    - a developing short circuit in the 12V to 5V adapter
    - some EMI messing up with your car computer
    - or, as AMc wrote ...just a simple coincidence and your battery is not so amazing.

4. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    You can buy usb hardwiring kits that actually monitor what your dash cam is using and actually prevents stopping the power getting to it when the battery level drops to a certain level.

Got one for my Vantrue N2 Pro which is on pretty much 24/7.

You can pick them up off amazon for beween £10-£15.