Quantcast

Das Boot... GREAT NEWS

S

shaunthedude

great news for fans of this film. Its being released on reg 1 as the whole series uncut. Over 5 hours. 2 disc edition with extra features. Looks good:clap:

buns

Banned
Happy days! Probably the best submarine film ever and well deserving the full treatment!

ad

TheBigApple

Novice Member
Originally posted by buns
Happy days! Probably the best submarine film ever and well deserving the full treatment!

ad
Also has one of the best sound mixes I've ever heard.

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
its out in the UK 17th May too. £17.99 @ Play

I expect it to drop to about a tenner within 8 weeks so I'll wait a bit:suicide:

buns

Banned
Originally posted by DrPepper
Is this 4:3?
I had an old german copy which I assumed was an original and was a 4:3 version. I assumed this was what it was natively in. That was a while back though and i know a bit more about things so im not so sure of my earlier assumptions

ad

MC Hammer

What's the classic collection set Play are doing a fortnight later ?
Possibly all the 13 versions issued so far !

Anyway it will be interesting to see if the 5 hour version is widescreen or full screen.

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
from The Digital Bits regarding the region 1...

And the Das Boot: The Original Uncut Version will be a 2-disc set featuring the original mini-series version that was produced for German TV broadcast in 1981 (running time: 293 minutes). The video will be anamorphic widescreen, with audio in English and German Dolby Digital (note that you'll get the restored original stereo audio as well as a newly created 5.1 mix - in GERMAN we hope). A behind-the-scenes featurette is also included. Can't WAIT for this!

R2 should be the same. I've heard you get the option of watching it as the directors cut movie too via branching

MC Hammer

Excellent !

Fortunately I avoided the non upgrade Superbit but will definitely go for this !

Does anyone know if this full version was filmed in PAL if for German TV ?
If so the conversion from PAL to NTSC is likely to be poor ?

Would prefer the R1 but not if converted from PAL.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Hopefully they will have used the original film elements for a native 525/60 telecine.

shortround

Novice Member
yes. i believe it was originally shot at 24fps film, as the pal version of the directors cut runs a few minutes shorter than the ntsc version (ie. 4% pal speedup). so hopefully, the ntsc version will be sourced directly from film.