Darwin theory in action. Witness the blonde evolution

dean999

i heard this broadcast on radio 1-- this just confirms what jeremy clarkson said on top gear when they were in the states about americans just having enough brain power to walk on their hind legs.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::suicide:

John

Hasn't this already been done ?

Miniholic

Do they have care in the community too?:rolleyes:

Have you read the comments?

An American said:
Yes she's retarded. Hot, but retarded. Everyone saying America is dumb....gee, let's see where most of today's inventions came from...

TELEPHONE: AMERICA
LIGHT BULB: AMERICA
STOP LIGHT: AMERICA
THE CAR: AMERICA
MICROWAVES: AMERICA
TELEVISION: AMERICA
THE INTERNET: AMERICA

When you're ****** little countries change the world like America does, then you can talk about how we're done....

GOD BLESS AMERICA. THE GREATEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!

I didn't realise Americans invented all of those, I can't have been paying attention in histiry. Maybe we should thank them.:suicide:

Steven

Senior Moderator
Outstanding! That saves me having to recall names. Now I can just chirp an out "an American"

John

I didn't realise Americans invented all of those, I can't have been paying attention in histiry. Maybe we should thank them.:suicide:

Or English :rotfl::rotfl:
I know its bad nettiquette , but I couldn't resist :D

Miniholic

williemaykit

What do they teach in American schools?

Stop lights were actually invented here in the UK in 1868 (44 years before they were installed in the US) and first placed outside the Houses of Parliament in London but I guess they omit that in American History.

The first combustion powered vehicle (or what we would call a car) was invented by a Swiss guy François Isaac de Rivaz followed by a french guy (Gustave Trouvé) in 1881. If memory serves me correct, Henry Ford did not sell the first car until 1903.

Microwave - don't know that Heinrich Hertz was ever in America considering he was born and died in his home country of Germany. He discovered microwaves in 1888.

Television was invented by Marconi who lived in Italy and the earliest commerically available TVs were made by Baird in the UK

Light bulbs - well yes, whilst the first practical light bulb was created by Thomas Edison in 1879, it is based on the work of Humphry Davy 75 years earlier. Humphry was British.

That leaves them with the telephone and the Internet

Steven

Senior Moderator
Alexander Graham Bell was Scottish, even if he became a US citizen

bullfinch

Standard Member

Stop lights were actually invented here in the UK in 1868 (44 years before they were installed in the US) and first placed outside the Houses of Parliament in London but I guess they omit that in American History.

The first combustion powered vehicle (or what we would call a car) was invented by a Swiss guy François Isaac de Rivaz followed by a french guy (Gustave Trouvé) in 1881. If memory serves me correct, Henry Ford did not sell the first car until 1903.

Microwave - don't know that Heinrich Hertz was ever in America considering he was born and died in his home country of Germany. He discovered microwaves in 1888.

Television was invented by Marconi who lived in Italy and the earliest commerically available TVs were made by Baird in the UK

Light bulbs - well yes, whilst the first practical light bulb was created by Thomas Edison in 1879, it is based on the work of Humphry Davy 75 years earlier. Humphry was British.

That leaves them with the telephone and the Internet

Was the telephone not Alexander Graham Bell who was Scottish?

Pat_C

I believe they concentrate mainly on blind patriotism and domestic flag installation techniques.

Americans often seem to have a real insecurity about any loose suggestion that they might not have invented everything on the planet. I've followed extensive, quite vicious exchanges on all matters of inventing nationality in usenet newsgroups in my earlier online years. I particularly remember the debate about who invented the jet engine, which is probably still going on now.

In fact I might just revisit the alt.nuke.the.usa newsgroup and suggest that we all join in celebrating Frank Whittle's marvelous invention :devil:

mjn

Distinguished Member
Apparently she couldn't see the autocue properly (due to bright stage lights), which is why she fluffed her words.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Following on from my post, by the rationale of the yanks, Canada also has a claim to the telephone as I believe he was naturalised as a citizen there before going to America

So did an American invent the autocue? :D Genuine question

AgentCool

You can't tar all Americans with the same brush. After all, you don't become the world's sole super-power by being completely stupid (or maybe you do?).

Anyway, here are a few genuine American inventions:

- Cotton Gin
- Lock-stitch Sewing Machine
- Revolver
- Safety Elevator: The modern 'Otis' elevator which paved the way for the...
- Skyscraper
- Water Tower
- Roller Skates
- Electric Dental Drill
- Electric fan
- Air conditioner
- Powered controllable Aeroplane
- Radio astronomy
- Microwave Oven
- Nylon
- Frozen Food
- Computer Operating System
- Pocket Calculator
- Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation (LASER)
- Optical Fibre

Obviously, the majority of these would not have been possible were it not for work done by people from other countries beforehand but the Americans are notoriously good at taking existing ideas and making something useful out of them.

mjn

Distinguished Member

mjn

Distinguished Member

bullfinch

Standard Member
You can't tar all Americans with the same brush. After all, you don't become the world's sole super-power by being completely stupid (or maybe you do?).

Anyway, here are a few genuine American inventions:

- Cotton Gin
- Lock-stitch Sewing Machine
- Revolver
- Safety Elevator: The modern 'Otis' elevator which paved the way for the...
- Skyscraper
- Water Tower
- Roller Skates
- Electric Dental Drill
- Electric fan
- Air conditioner
- Powered controllable Aeroplane
- Radio astronomy
- Microwave Oven
- Nylon
- Frozen Food
- Computer Operating System
- Pocket Calculator
- Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation (LASER)
- Optical Fibre

Obviously, the majority of these would not have been possible were it not for work done by people from other countries beforehand but the Americans are notoriously good at taking existing ideas and making something useful out of them.

McDonalds. :thumbsdow

Harj

Come on chaps we are being unfair, 'An American' may be wrong, but America has produced it fair share of inventions, and come on what about all the space exploration , hubble telescope, Space Shuttle, Voyager? And also alot of work in health and medicine is coming from america.

And let not forget the IT industry.

What we in this country wouldn't give to have something like MiT (Massachussets Institute of Technology)instead of our failing science and engineering attendance.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
THX launches Onyx MQA supporting DAC/Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom