Darwin Award - Group Edition

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Reaction score

Not sure I've seen a bigger group of people begging to end up under the wheels of a truck than this.
Utter, utter stupidity on so many levels.

I'm glad the poor trucker didn't hurt or kill any of them. The trucker doesn't deserve to have to live with that on his conscience despite it not being his fault in the slightest.

These fools give decent cyclists a bad name.
Plus lols at the fool who posted the video on YouTube blaming the truck driver.

I saw this yesterday on Fb and people were actually trying to defend the cyclists in the left turn only inside lane (because this is how we do it in London!?')

Absolutely idiotic.

'Errrrrr Errrr I've got camera footage....'......what an absolute melt

A perfect example of complete idiotic cocks on bikes that haven't got a clue about blind spots and approached the lorry in a left turn lane!

It was very lucky for the cycling cocks that the lorry driver felt something and stopped in time. If this was in Asia we would now be looking at flat pack organ donors at least.

Opposite side of the cab, and 8ft up in the air how on earth is he supposed to know they will go straight on en masse.

I nearly severely injured a cyclist who was undertaking me on my commute, slap bang in my near side blind spot as I indicated left and turned into a petrol station forecourt.

I also happened to sit opposite him in my old office

They should all be prosecuted for road-rule violations - those arrows on the road are not optional suggestions, they are orders.
Also, many of the cyclists are ahead of the line (and in the wrong lane) so they should get 2 fines.
Some of the cyclists even undertook the black taxi which was indicating left - nutters!
The cyclist that was hit also rode on the pavement - another wrong!
I am 100% with the lorry driver on this one.
I bet what will happen to this junction is that they will put a cyclist-only box in front of the straight-on lane's stop line at the lights, so that the precious cyclists can overtake on the inside to their hearts' content and get ahead of traffic, only to be in the way where the road narrows in 20m time.
Utterc@ckwombles, the lot of them.

i'm with the lorry driver on this also...

Subscribed, awaiting the accusations of attempted murder against the lorry driver.
Is there going to be a protest march to get him convicted?
"Look at your position in the road" screams the victim/cyclist, irony impairment.

Give respect to lorries they deserve it.

Oh my gosh, so their excuse is that this is london? Unbelievable, better look up the section in the Highway Code with london only rules. That cyclist was stupid and very lucky. I really feel for the driver.

Admittedly though, I drive a lot in london and would never expect any of those cyclists to go left. Heck the ones actually going left wouldn't generally wait for a green light.

I'm just looking at the headline "nearly killed" which one was that? :rolleyes:

The trouble is that although they cycled straight ahead from a left turn lane, the trucker saw this and bullishly pressed on to make a bit of a point.

He should have slowed and beeped and let them carry on their (wrong) way.

So if someone cycles on a path are you going to knock them off their bike?

I am pro driver but the trucker was not driving defensively correctly.

His company need to give him driver training to avoid a future risk.

And I have worked in transport all my life.

Yes an accident would have been on his conscience and I suspect he would deep down believe he was in part to blame.

The trouble is that although they cycled straight ahead from a left turn lane, the trucker saw this and bullishly pressed on to make a bit of a point.

Yes an accident would have been on his conscience and I suspect he would deep down believe he was in part to blame.
How do you know the trucker saw this? Were you in the cabin with him?

Is there some kind of advantage to the cyclists to start off from the wrong lane when the lights change?
Why not stop in the correct lane in the queue of traffic so that the driver immediately behind can see them?
And why claim that all cyclists in London fail to observe any rules of the highway code just because it's in London?

What transport have you worked in?

I'm just looking at the headline "nearly killed" which one was that? :rolleyes:

Yes, it was amusing. The video was clearly posted by one of the cyclists involved hoping to get attention, although it back fired as everyone can clearly see the cyclists at fault.

Good old London cyclists. Same story day in, day out.

Mostly middle to end of life men crammed in the tightest Lycra possible. Rarely stopping for red lights, no lane discipline, just generally being the most arrogant pricks on the road.

I'm glad the truck driver got out and stood his ground, too many people run scared of the tools "I've got a camera, I've got a camera" good, it proves what a bunch of total nobbers you are.

I'm glad nobody was hurt as noone deserves to go like that but London can not handle all these cyclists and vehicles. They really need to pedestrianize the place and be done with it.

I also think they should have some sort of identification, had a very nice cyclist drag their handlebars down my brand new van and when I called to them out the window they cycled through a red light giving me the finger.... how's that fair? But they just get away with everything.

Oh and apparently a transit is a nice leaning post for them at traffic lights..

NO

How do you know the trucker saw this? Were you in the cabin with him?

No but you can almost tell from the behaviour of his truck

Yes so you are saying it is better to be correct and cause an accident or pre empt another road user's poor actions and avoid an accident?

Yes so you are saying it is better to be correct and cause an accident or pre empt another road user's poor actions and avoid an accident?

NO I am saying that everything you wrote was so wrong it deserved that short reply from me!

No but you can almost tell from the behaviour of his truck
Amazing, what you can tell with so much certainty. But hey we already established that you didn't actually see what he saw. We established that you made that part up. Now you are making this part up.

Let's get real Monty Nine - you have only seen the view point of another cyclist camera who was also in the wrong lane besides an articulated lorry....The rest you are making up yourself...

Admittedly though, I drive a lot in london and would never expect any of those cyclists to go left. Heck the ones actually going left wouldn't generally wait for a green light.

And the professional driver of the truck with an LGV licence should have anticipated this and driven defensively but he didn't. In my view he purposefully ensured he forcefully took the correct lane.

At the expense of the vulnerable road users. Yes the cyclists were at fault but when the truck driver is in court for dangerous driving or death by dangerous driving he will be asked "looking at the footage Sir could you have amended your driving behaviour to avoid the collision?"

He can either say well they were in the wrong lane or perhaps he could realise that he may as well have let the cyclists go and his truck journey would have been delayed by 10 seconds.

Remember I am so pro driver I haven't cycled in 20 years but I spend my career talking to ROSPA and IHCD ambulance driving instructors so my views on driving "blame" vs defensive driving gave matured somewhat.

Amazing, what you can tell with so much certainty. But hey we already established that you didn't actually see what he saw. We established that you made that part up. Now you are making this part up.

Let's get real Monty Nine - you have only seen the view point of another cyclist camera who was also in the wrong lane besides an articulated lorry....The rest you are making up yourself...

Hmmm. I said "almost tell" and you infer this as certainty? Interesting.

Useful to get some ADIs perspective here @djbsom

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom