Dart Charge crossing help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by StringerBell, Apr 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. StringerBell

StringerBell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Has anyone paid this recently - if yes, were you sent a payment receipt by e-mail? If yes, can you please tell me the title of the e-mail and also what it shows up as on your bank/card statement.

Thanks

2. balidey

balidey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,532
    Yes, I bought the charge a couple of weeks ago.
    Email receipt was titled Payment Receipt and it came from [email protected]
    Don't have bank statements so can't help with that one.

3. safcalibur

safcalibur
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,107
    Can confirm above post as I made payment for the crossing last week. My receipt came through as a PDF document which just said Dart Charge Payment Receipt. On my bank statement it gave a reference number starting INT'L then some numbers then said gov.uk/dart-charge

Cheers Saf

4. StringerBell

StringerBell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks guys for the fast replies.

I may be up the creek here but I don't understand what's gone wrong. My old man called me about a month ago (going to confirm the date tonight) to pay for the Dart charge as he didn't have any internet access. I made the payment on-line via the official government website whilst he was on the phone to me as he was reading out the car reg. I even recall asking him to confirm the colour/model of the car. I can remember doing this clearly and I know if there was an option to have a receipt sent to your e-mail address I would have ticked it (have searched all my e-mail addresses and nothing). I can't find the transaction on my bank account either. I paid the £5 and thought nothing of it until he's called me today (car has since been sold) to say the buyer has contacted him with over £400 worth of fines/charges. He's going to speak to him later/check the penalty notice to check if the dates match. Surely it wouldn't be £400 in charges based on he used the crossing twice in one day (£5 charge) in early March 2016? Just to add, he called me around 7pm, 1 hour after he got in and I paid whilst he was on the phone to me so nowhere near the midnight deadline and it was the same day.

*insert expletive*

5. clc.sheff

clc.sheff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    Being ignorant northerners we drove though twice whilst going on holiday without paying.

On the notice they send out is a number you can ring. Ring them up and explain your situation. We found them very helpful. We thought we had paid after getting the first notices but got more threatening letters several months later.

When we rung up we couldn't find any record of payment but we appealed and they allowed us to just pay the tolls and leave it at that.

6. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,753
    Is it possible the plates have been cloned and t's nothing to do with your Dad's crossing? I guess you'll know once you know what date the fines are for.

7. safcalibur

safcalibur
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,107
    If you hadn't have paid, would you not get reminders through your (or your dads) door about it? Seems strange to suddenly have £400 worth of fines without any reminder or warning of lack of payment for original amount.

I would get in touch with them and explain what happened. It's difficult as you've got nothing to back up what your saying I.e. no invoice or payment confirmation. Might be worth looking over bank statements again for the £5.

Here is the number for the dartford crossing in case you need it

0300 300 0120

Good luck :)

8. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    This may or may not help but when I went over last year whilst visiting friends in Essex, I forgot to pay and was eventually sent a notice saying that as long as I logged in and paid the toll charge by a certain date, I wouldn't have to pay the penalty charge. So in theory, for the first offence at least (and possibly the second) you should have got a letter offering this option. Therefore £400 of fines sounds like a number plate clone scam to me.

9. StringerBell

StringerBell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just to update the thread, I searched my home PC and found a screenshot (thank god I do this with important stuff!) of the payment and reference number. I'm guessing the e-mail must have gone in the spam folder, anyway the journey was paid for and verified when my dad called them to check.

Turns out that the date that was on the penalty notice was for 2 days later and after some digging, turns out that one of my dad's friends had 'borrowed' the car and forgot to tell him that he used the crossing. There have been no letters or warnings of the sort apparently, just this one penalty notice demanding just under £400. Oh dear. Have advised him to call them back tomorrow and try and resolve it, the date was 14th March 2016 so given that it has only just been 1 month, those charges are insane.

10. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31,491
    On the website it says the penalty is £70 and had to be paid by 28 days and £105 after that - so how is this one £405? Was it borrowed multiple times?

It could be other crossings are going to go over the 28 days and add in extra £35s.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. safcalibur

safcalibur
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,107
    Are these fines legit? As in have you seen any evidence for them and have you confirmed them with dartford crossing? Obviously a payment is due but the amount seems way too high for something that happened only a month ago. Could be some chancer trying their luck. I'd get confirmation of the amount direct from the crossing and take it from there.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  12. StringerBell

StringerBell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for this info, I will pass it onto my dad. I thought just under £400 was too much, especially given it has barely been 1 month.

Interestingly I used the crossing a few months back but it was well after midnight so there would have been no charge (charges apply between 6am and 10pm every day), however I entered my vehicle reg on their website and it shows up! I wonder how many people have been caught out thinking they need to pay when they don't purely by entering their reg.

I wish they gave you a list of times/dates and how much you need to pay rather than the box that you enter how much you think you need to pay.

I'm guessing there must be a mistake somewhere or numerous journeys had been made. Dad is going to visit the buyer today to get the physical copies of the penalty notice(s) and take it from there.

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated.

13. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31,491
    Probably worth opening an account and sticking £20 in so it won't happen again, even if it's borrowed.

14. wbs19

wbs19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive been fighting a charge since last April 2015, they sent me a penalty charge notice and i had paid sent emailed them a copy of receipt. they then told me i have made 6 crossings and only paid for 5, i asked when was this and they said there unable to tell me the date!! i very rarely use the crossing, but they keep sending me the same PCN in which i sent the receipt for! im at my wits end with them, whats the point in keep sending me the same information on the one i've provided evidence for. to top it all its now gone up to £105....

15. StringerBell

StringerBell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    A late but final update: after telling my dad about the advice from this thread and from wider readings across other forums, he called them and explained the situation and they allowed him to just pay the original £5 for the 2 crossings and wiped any remaining charges!

He had them on speaker phone so I heard everything; they were very reasonable and understanding and must have to do similar numerous times a day.

A huge thank you to everyone who contributed :smashin: