Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition (PS4)

Discussion in 'PS4 Games' started by Cha1ky, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,289
    Darksiders 2 collection hits PS4, Xbox One this winter from original devs, future titles possible

[​IMG]

Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition, the Darksiders 2 game and all of its downloadable content completely overhauled by a team of the original developers, is coming to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One this winter, Austrian publisher Nordic Games tells Polygon.

Perhaps more importantly, the publisher, which purchased the rights for the Darskiders IP from THQ during bankruptcy proceedings, is looking into having the original game ported over to current gen consoles and whether to continue the series with the long anticipated Darksiders 3.

"Since Darksiders is an active project for us we are obviously making up our minds about [Darksiders 3]," Nordic Games spokesman Phillip Brock told Polygon. "So far we have nothing to officially announce though."

Brock added that they haven't decided yet whether to port the original.

"We think it could be a great project, though, and in comparison to the original version we could make a huge step forward," he said.

Nordic said in 2013 it saw great potential in a Darksiders sequel, adding last year that it wasn't giving up on the franchise.

The Deathinitive Edition of Darksiders 2, the existence of which was leaked earlier this year, will include a long list of DLC: the Maker Armor Set, The Abyssal Forge, The Demon Lord Belial, Death Rides, Angel of Death, Deadly Despair, Shadow of Death, Mortis Pack, Rusanov's Axe, Van Der Schmash Hammer, Fletcher's Crow Hammer, Mace Maximus and Argul's Tomb.

[​IMG]
    The entire game has been reworked to run in native 1080p resolution and polished to include better lighting and improved character and environmental graphics. Developer Gunfire Games, a team made up almost entirely of developers originally from Darksiders studio Vigil Games, also went through the entire game to add polish and rework the game's levels.

"We took over the franchise roughly 2 years ago and thought about the next chapter for Darksiders ever since then," said Reinhard Pollice, business and product development director at Nordic Games, in a prepared statement. "Naturally (and extremely excitedly!), there will be a large-scale project based on Darksiders, but for now it is very important for us to take care of the existing games and make those available to a broader audience. Bringing Darksiders 2 to current gen was a logical step for us and the team at Gunfire Games know their trade inside-out, so we easily and quickly had lots of ideas that we wanted to realize for this specific edition."

David Adams, president of Gunfire Games, said the team did a lot of work improving the graphics and balancing the game, specifically working on combat to help even out some of the missions.

"When we worked on it the first time we didn't have the time we wanted to do the final polish," he said. "One of the first things we did with this version was make some pretty significant rendering changes. We started with graphics and then went through the entire game. "

Adams said the team completely changed the rendering model and the lighting system.

[​IMG]
    "We had to go through and relight the whole game with more dynamic shadows andhigher resolution textures," he said. "Pretty much everything in the game had higher resolution assets already available."

As they went through the game, they noticed encounters that "sucked" and areas that needed difficulty adjustment. So they tweaked the game's balance and adjusted loot distribution.

The fact that Adams and his team had two years of critic and player reaction to work with when adjusting the game actually made it harder to figure out what to do, he said.

"It's pretty hard," he said. " You can't go crazy and change everything. You have to be really strategic. There are things like, 'This is something people didn't enjoy,' but you can't rip it out so you just try to make it better."

The return to Darksiders is the latest in what has been an interesting history for the teamthat once was Vigil Games.

Founded in 2005, Vigil Games was purchased by THQ a year later, only to go under with the company when it went bankrupt in 2013. But much of the team was picked up by Crytek to form Crytek USA.

That didn't work out either.

Last year, Adams and a core group of the original team left Crytek to form Gunfire Games. Of the 22 people who make up the team, all but two are from Vigil.

[​IMG]
    "THQ went bankrupt, so we went to Crytek and then Crytek had some issues so we left there," Adams told Polygon in an interview earlier this year. "It was hard, in both cases. In one case we walked away from Darksiders, which is an awesome game. Hunt was also an awesome game. I always wanted to make a cowboy hunting monsters game, it was on my bucket list of games to make. It's just awesome, how can you not like cowboys hunting monsters? That's just badass.

"It was hard to walk away from that, but the situation dictated what we did."

And now they're back to working on Darksiders.

"It's been an interesting road," Adams said.

Nordic Games first contacted Gunfire about working on Darksiders when they were still at Crytek, he said.

"He contacted us at Crytek about working on Darksiders and we said 'No, we're happy here'," Adams said. "Then when we were leaving he contacted us again.

"They have been really, really good to work with. The guy we work with is a huge Darksiders fan."

Nordic's Brock said that the publisher had a "lot of drive" to make Darksiders 2 even better.

"When we started to play around with it, we quickly figured out things and had a clear vision on how to tackle this project," he said. "We think it's a fantastic game and delivering it to more platforms was a given. The original Darksiders needs more evaluation on our end in this regard."

The same goes for the more than 150 individual titles that Nordic purchases during THQ's bankruptcy. That includes franchises like MX vs. ATV and Red Faction.

"As we took over quite a large part of the former THQ portfolio, we will continue to do things in a 'one step at a time'-manner, and in our own pace," Brock told Polygon. "Darksiders and MX vs. ATV are the first, but definitely not the last THQ-IPs we will continue to work on."

[​IMG]

2. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Interesting, especially the bit about them working on other THQ titles.

3. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,277
    I would buy this , im a big fan of the darksiders games , have been waiting/hoping there would make the 3rd , ( after reading that now i know why we haven't had it)

there was a lot of game that i didn't finish while playing it on the ps3 i did finish it but there was parts that i mist out so it will be nice to pick it back up again, play it and finish parts of the game that i dint do the first time around .
    really hope their do make the 3rd too.

4. TaurusDevil

TaurusDevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    What's the actual release date for this? Amazon have got it as the 27th, but GAME have it as the 6th.

5. Bamford38

Bamford38
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    What is this thread necromancey, you may ask.

Well I recently bought this even though I already completed it the first time round, and it's still absolutely sublime.

So I decided to reanimate this thread as a kind of PSA really.

It's on sale at the minute for about £12 and it's one of the best gaming experiences I've had on this gen or last. Also because of the style of the game it holds up really well.

I hope other people will be inspired to give it a go

6. Bamford38

Bamford38
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    And incase anyone was wondering what kind of game it is.
    Think Zelda, meets God of war, mixed with diablo, with a dollop of portal and a sprinkling of shadow of the colossus

7. Daft Ada

Daft Ada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Had it on Wii U and really enjoyed it. Never played the original so I'm going to get that remaster when it's out, and probably pick this up again at some point.

8. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,608
    Holy Page bump reaper man, found this in my PS+ back catalogue and fired it up. Didn't realise it was a GOW type game, good fun so far. Its a bit creaky round the edges and I've landed my ass in the lava a few times trying to work out where I can jump, but seems to be another little 'freebie' gem so far..

9. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,608
    ..Yeah, this is a great game. Production values are not as polished as GOW 3 remaster and the dungeon assets get a touch repetitive, but what it does, it does really well and I'm enjoying it more than my GOW 3 run through.

It is hack and slash, but the loot system is good, so you can get OP if you need to, however, for me its the level traversal that I'm really enjoying. Pretty much every dungeon is a puzzle and as you progress, new abilities are provided to help you get to the next area. I'm nearing the end game now and the latest levels are feeling more like something out of Portal or The Talos Principle, which has been a great surprise for me.

Couple all this with some mindless monster bashing, half decent boss fights and a bizarre shooter level, you have a game that really keeps your interest. While the production values are stuck a little in the past (and it has crashed and glitched a few of times), the simple story and characters are all played well and the straight laced voice work of the main character keeps the sparse dialogue ticking along nicely. Having put well over 20 hours in so far with a couple chapters to go and some extra levels already unlocked to go back to, there's a lot here to explore..

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List