1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Water

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Razor, Jul 27, 2005.

?
  1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

20.0%
  3. 3

20.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6

20.0%
  7. 7

20.0%
  8. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,511
    I have just seen Dark Water, I didn't know what to expect with this movie as I hadn't seen any trailers.

I movie is a thriller set in a run down building, as you might guess all is not right with this building and strange things start to happen. :devil:

There a are a few familiar faces in this movie and I was surprised to see Tim Roth (great actor :clap: ). He only plays a small part but it was nice to see him on the big screen. :thumbsup:

The movie is quiet slow but ok entertainment for a couple of hours. :D

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    how would you compare it to the japanese original, if you've seen it? I rate the original one as one of my favourite japanese horrors

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,511

Marc :hiya:

I didn't know this was originally a Japanese film. I wouldn't rate this movie as one of my favourite Horrors. Sounds like the Japanese version may be better. :rolleyes:

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
  5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    i'll second all of that, the jap movie is top, very scary :D its not a tale of two sisters of course, but thats another story :D

Gary

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,338
    Needed new underwear after the Japanese version :laugh: but I've never been great with this genre of films.

7. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    im a fan of the original, i remember everyone gasping for air, during the you know what scene in the cinema.

Im not a fan of american conversions of japanese films, not being elitist, but Japanese storytelling does seem a very strong influence in the film (I beleive the originalRing was based on a old japanese folk story) and it just seems lost in american remakes, especially as they virtually copy the film scene for scene and still does not seem right, the depth of the original is not there and just seems like a MTV ,make over.

The Grudge is another example , based on japanese folk story of a curse caused by an extremely powerful and evil act effecting those who come into the place where it happend. It seem so eastern and not so american!

8. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I couldn't believe how bad the Ring remake was. I saw this at the pictures and wanted my money back. I nearly didn't bother watching the original as I was so put off by the remake, but I watched Ringu and 2 one Sunday morning and really wished that there'd been someone else in the house with me. :rolleyes:

The bit with the telly in the original and a couple of other scenes? F :oops: :oops: k me drunk with a rabid badger I nearly pooped myself

I've not seen the original but loved the remake. I think that this worked well as, SMG wasn't fluent in the lingo and so that added an extra element of tension as she was an outsider. Something that alot of people can relate too.

9. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've not seen the original but loved the remake. I think that this worked well as, SMG wasn't fluent in the lingo and so that added an extra element of tension as she was an outsider. Something that alot of people can relate too.
    You should see it ! :thumbsup:

10. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    if you liked the american remake of the grudge, you should love the original. it's pretty much the same movie scene for scene, but easily 10x scarier. The original has a lot more scenes of the female ghost, and believe me when i tell you they will have you crapping yourself ;)

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,511
    Marc :hiya:
    I have just ordered The grudge (japanese version) on the strength of your post. Cheers :thumbsup:

12. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The original Japanese version is in my Top 3 of all time fave Asian movies... very very scary and well recomended!

Have not seen this USA remake yet....

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,511

I really enjoyed the US version of the Grudge. :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

14. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must admit so did i.. the Asian version got alittle confusing at times with the flash backs etc... having known actors made understanding it alittle easier.. although i am a drummer which could explain the above waffle!

15. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    true, i was quite confused when i watched it, the girls do all look a bit similar, but god oh so scary :devil:

have you seen the director's cut of the us version of the grudge yet craig? I've heard its much more similar to ju-on than the theatrical release was

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,511

LOL.... I also see that there is a directors cut for the US grudge. I think I will be ordering this title as well. Have you seen The Grudge II (jap)?

The reason why I like The Grudge so much is that I used to have a re-occuring dream where I was in an deserted old house. There was a wardrobe in this house with a false back to it, I used to open this false back and there would be a tiny room (1m x 1m) with access to the loft. I would climb into the loft which was cold and dark. Once in the loft I would feel something tapping me on the shoulder and pushing me around the room. The dream used to scare the sh*t out of me. :rolleyes:

When I saw the US version of the Grudge I couldnt beleive how similar my dream was to the begining of the film. :eek:

17. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No i havent seen the Dir's Cut yet only standard theatrical... is there alot more extra footage or just a min or so?

18. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW seems like a very vivid dream too - detail etc.

Hope it be a thing of the past now... Not seen Grudge 2, as a rule sequels dont cut the mustard for me... you get the odd good one but as a rule pants...

19. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,511
    :hiya:
    The Grudge Directors cut is showing 7 minutes of extra footage, which sounds worth hunting down. :rolleyes:

Glad you liked my dream, I was so freaked out :eek: when I saw The Grudge I paused the movie and pinched myself. Serious :rolleyes:

I take your point about sequels, there are exceptions to the rule but not many. If the japanese version of the Grudge satisfies I will try and see the follow up. :devil:

20. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    i used to have a dream about being trapped in a lift with the girls from ABBA :devil: i was 13 :D

The Grudge is a top film. the US remake is ok, but not in the same league IMO its better than the ring remake though.

and i dont even want to think how they are going to destroy a Tale Of Two Sisters :(

Gary

21. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,511

LOL..... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

22. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
  23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,511

Cheers shaithis :hiya:

I was wondering where to get the PAL version of the extended edition. How much is it in £ and how long does it take to be delivered? :smashin:

24. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    It was 20 quid all in with delivery....so a little steep but its only money.

I got Hellboy DC DTS from the same place. Seems the Scandinavians like DTS versions of the extended cuts :smashin:

The site is entirely in whatever language is native to Denmark but I managed to get through it fairly easily :cool:

25. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,511

I did like this movie allot so £20 isnt too bad for a extended DTS copy. Cheers. Ordering now. [​IMG]