1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Transfers from DV

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by VintageMark, Jul 1, 2003.

1. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi...

I'm using a Sony DCR-PC5E to transfer footage to my PC via Firewire.

My problem is that I have some footage which is dark (indoor, nighttime)... when viewing on the camcorder itself... I can see the picture is dark but you can see everything clearly...

However when the footage transfers to the PC... its much darker... 40% maybe? This makes some scenes almost black...

Anyone have any idea what might be happening or how I might fix this?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark.

2. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You'll often find that the computer monitor is not set-up correctly, so the footage looks too dark. (Gamma may need adjusting)

Try digitising then playing/laying back to the camera.

There cannot be any difference if you are using Firewire straight through the PC as it is a Native DV format, with noughts and ones copied straight off tape onto HD and back to tape when finished - totally lossless (apart from the fact that's it's a compressed fomat)

You may notice slight differences in brightness if you try processing the picture in your edit system (colour corrections , dissolves, DVEs etc) due to the proccessing mode of certain software which work in RBG not YUV.

Duncan.

3. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I normally do to overcome those colour problems is having a tv monitor connected as well. Just a simple 14inch will do fine and output the rendered footage to that one to check it via my TRV900.
    Alternative LaCie is producing some good quality monitors which can be corrected for the correct colour reproduction.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul