Dark Side Of The Moon will now be SACD instead of DVD-Audio ?

Can't have it all I guess but I am certainly looking forward to hearing one the finest albums in Rock history in surround sound. Yes siree!

This has got to be the best news for SACD owners ever !!
If ever there was an album crying out for a 5.1 mix it has to be Dark Side Of The Moon.

Is it definitely not coming on DVD-A now, I thought it was just a rumour?

Cheers

Being completely thick, I haven't a clue what SACD is, could someone please explain it in simple terms. What would I need to be able to play it. I have a DVD player and can play 5:1 through my amp, would I be able to use this to enable me to listen.

I have spent a lot of years getting pleasure from this Album, it's fantastic and if I can get a version I can listen to in 5:1, that'll do for me.

Originally posted by alpha10
Is it definitely not coming on DVD-A now, I thought it was just a rumour?

Get a Pioneer 656 and you won't have to worry about such minor details :D

Originally posted by Logo Hater
Being completely thick, I haven't a clue what SACD is, could someone please explain it in simple terms. What would I need to be able to play it. I have a DVD player and can play 5:1 through my amp, would I be able to use this to enable me to listen.

I have spent a lot of years getting pleasure from this Album, it's fantastic and if I can get a version I can listen to in 5:1, that'll do for me.
I know little of it myself but as far as I know, SACD is Super Audio CD they look like a CD but you need a special player for them, some are hybrids that can be played on a CD player but you will not get the benefits of the SACD.
Do a search on SACD, Uncle Eric did the first ever review of one I read and not all the results were good.
SACD also is only sound only where as DVD Audio you can have the visuals as well. You can get a player that plays DVD’s, CD’ SACD’s and DVD Audio in one unit now.

I researched SACD and you do not need an SACD player to play SACD's, however you will not get multi channel sound without one. Every SACD has two layers. One layer contains the conventional audio that every cd player can read just fine and the second layer contains the multi channel version, which only an SACD player will be able to read. Can you imagine Dark Side Of The Moon in 5.1 surround sound? I want an SACD player, now!

all SACDs will NOT play on any cd player. i have 9 and only 4 of those have a cd layer, and none of them will play in a standard dvd video player, the two layers seem to totally confuse the machine. hardly good when more and more people are using dvd players in place of cd players. in contrast, every dvd-audio disc i've seen, i have 15, will play on any dvd player, in dolby digital and/or dts. and now the dvd forum has approved the addition of cd layers to dvd-a discs. apparently the first ones will be double sided, high-res on one side, standard cd on the other. so basically, the idea that sacd will win the war because of it's superior compatibility is a myth. in my opinion, it's only looking good because of the huge amounts of money sony are throwing at it. paying for the mixing and/or mastering of dark side of the moon? sounds a little desperate actually.

I humbly stand corrected...... I was only quoting what I read on a web site to do with Audio technology.

And by the way, there is nothing desperate (in my honest opinion) of a multi channel Dark Side Of The Moon. It's one of rock's finest albums (again in my opinion) and a beautiful sounding experience, about to be made even more beautiful sounding with the SACD release.

sorry, that wasn't too clear. i meant sony sound a bit desperate to promote sacd, not doing a multi channel mix. i can't wait to hear the 5.1 either!

Absolutely, it will be a treasure, I am sure.

I was looking in my What Hi-Fi 2002 awards last night and the Pioneer 656 came out the Best Buy/Product of the Year in the DVD Players section.

Home Cinema Choice mag: The Greatest Home Cinema Book 6 lists the Marantz 12SI as the best sounding player in the higher end bracket, narrowly beating the Tag DVD32FLR.

The five tested where:
Denon 2800MK2
Marantz DV 12SI
T+A 1230R
Tag DVD32FLR
Toshiba SD 9500

Also Denon DVD A1 reviewed seperately and again mentions the Marantz 12SI would give it a run for its money in the sound department.

i've got a pioneer 656, and it is pretty good. it may not be the best at any one thing, but it does all of them well. however, the build quality is apalling! it's a really cheap feeling, rattly box, particularly annoying since my last player, a panasonic A7, was built like a brick.

Did anyone else spot the bit in the article in the origional link about the mixing engineer having just done the Pulse DVD?

Does that mean that Pulse is about to released on DVD at last???

Here's hoping:D :clap: :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom